PSA: Muscles do not weigh more than fat.

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    None of this even matters...

...until you stop lifting and your muscle turns to fat.

that's why lifting anything over 15lbs makes women so bulky.

I thought that was because of that monthly woman thing.
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    that is correct, a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound poo, no difference at all.. now the cubic space required to hold one pound of each, is probably significantly different

Well, define what you mean by "required." I can pack feathers into a pretty compact and solid space. I do it every night with a down pillow.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscles equals a pound of fat. However, muscle is denser than fat; therefore a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

Have a blessed day!

Troll
  • jullienb
    jullienb Posts: 8
    Options
    WHY THANK YOU SIR! I was totally AMPED when I hooked him! Although he was a heavy bass (as far as bass go) he didn't quite sink!! =( I guess I didn't learn much from this thread.... ***SIGH**** ! LOL
  • jullienb
    jullienb Posts: 8
    Options
    YES!!!! I Started PAGE 10!!!!

Accomplishment of the day! (Worth 200 Calories)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    WHY THANK YOU SIR! I was totally AMPED when I hooked him! Although he was a heavy bass (as far as bass go) he didn't quite sink!! =( I guess I didn't learn much from this thread.... ***SIGH**** ! LOL

Surprised that he didn't sink, given that he's probably mostly muscle with very little fat. Maybe it's because he's stretched out straight instead of curled into a ball.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscles equals a pound of fat. However, muscle is denser than fat; therefore a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

Also did you know that its 'a pound of muscle' not a pound of muscles'? 'Muscle' is a kind of tissue. 'Muscles' are organs. Saying muscles weigh more than fat, is off. Its "Muscle is more dense than fat."

Sorry, since you just schooled us in something so painfully obvious as one pound = one pound, I didnt think you'd mind me returning the PSA.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I think you know what people mean when they say it.

I don't see what's wrong about saying "muscle weighs more than fat" ... if you take a blob of fat and then take a blob of muscle of the same size, the muscle will weigh more. I wish people would stop nit picking everything that is said on here.

Sounds good and I agree. But my endocronologist told me i was obese due to height/weight ratio. at 5'3 and 172 i am classified as obese. When I told her that i was in a size 9/10 and did insanity 6 days a week and muscle weighs more that fat she laughed and told me to lose 30 pounds.

I lost the doctor!!!

Good choice!

Oh I forgot this part. that was after she told me to go on the scarsdale diet to lose the weight.... Ahhh No!!!

Yeah, the Scarsdale Diet is pretty good. I've lost weight on it for sure, but I'm still not at my goal. There are a bunch of them on the internet that all differ, but I used http://www.scarsdale-diet-plan.com I dropped about 20 pounds on this, but it was kind of hard, but it still worked.

But I dont want to lose muscle by doing a diet like that. Id rather do it slowly thru diet and exercise. On the one the doc recommended i would lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks.... No way is that good
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ah-ha! Excellent point my friend, but a challenger appears! Take a piece each of fat and muscle, portioning equal volume betwixt the two. A square inch of muscle would indeed exert more gravitational force than a square inch of fat!

I have no idea why I typed like that, but I was really into it.
    So, you just repeated the OP. muscle weighs more than fat. It is more dense
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Ah-ha! Excellent point my friend, but a challenger appears! Take a piece each of fat and muscle, portioning equal volume betwixt the two. A square inch of muscle would indeed exert more gravitational force than a square inch of fat!

I have no idea why I typed like that, but I was really into it.
    So, you just repeated the OP. muscle weighs more than fat. It is more dense

And you just repeated at least a dozen others who posted before you...

...(but my comment has probably been made before too).
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I certainly did. I failed to read past the first two posts before I posted. This has turned out to be quite interesting.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I certainly did. I failed to read past the first two posts before I posted. This has turned out to be quite interesting.

Clearly a wise decision. I wish I could unread at least half of the posts I read on this thread.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have nothing of importance to add other than thank you for helping me waste some time at work tonight in a very enjoyable fashion. Nothing is more comical than adults trying to argue over whether or not the statement muscle weighs more than fat is refering to actual poundage or if the statement is refering to volume. I thought everyone understood it was volume I don't know ANYone who thinks 1 pound weighs more than 1 pound.

It's all about the size ;-)

Which begs the question, "does size matter?"
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about live tissue (and I think we are) muscle has a much higher concentration of "water" than fat so if you take away the water. . . fat weighs more.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I got one - its not a gravitational pull but more of a gravitational push. your welcome :smokin:
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Also lets not forget about coefficient of friction! .
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have nothing of importance to add other than thank you for helping me waste some time at work tonight in a very enjoyable fashion. Nothing is more comical than adults trying to argue over whether or not the statement muscle weighs more than fat is refering to actual poundage or if the statement is refering to volume. I thought everyone understood it was volume I don't know ANYone who thinks 1 pound weighs more than 1 pound.

Thank you Ray! I knew someone would ask that question! Obviously size DOES matter in this case!
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Thank you Ray! I knew someone would ask that question! Obviously size DOES matter in this case!

Totally my pleasure. :glasses:
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Also did you know that its 'a pound of muscle' not a pound of muscles'? 'Muscle' is a kind of tissue. 'Muscles' are organs. Saying muscles weigh more than fat, is off. Its "Muscle is more dense than fat."

Sorry, since you just schooled us in something so painfully obvious as one pound = one pound, I didnt think you'd mind me returning the PSA.

:)
  • rprussell2004
    Options

The problem here is that you've totally glossed over the fact that a pound of mussels NEVER EVER EVER equals a pound of mussels once all is said and done.

'Coz, you know, you don't eat the shells.

And there's the whole margin of error involved in dipping in melted butter.