PSA: Muscles do not weigh more than fat.

Options

Replies

• LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscles equals a pound of fat. However, muscle is denser than fat; therefore a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

Have a blessed day!

I don't think anyone ever said a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.

People say it all the time. However, it is NOT what they mean. They are simply confused, silly people. The issue is that we don't have a good way of talking about volume in in English. Start talking about cubic this or that I assure you people will confuse it with cubits.

Speaking of which, I'm off to build a boat...
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I came for the LOL, I am satisfied.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscles equals a pound of fat. However, muscle is denser than fat; therefore a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

Have a blessed day!

You are totally amazing! Thanks for that info. You know, it's great when someone is able to bring up a brand new subject that has never been BEATEN THE FRUCK TO DEATH on the forums! Have a blessed day yourself cuz you fugged mine up pretty good...

So the thread title wasn't a clue? If my day were as easily ruined by MFP forum threads as yours apparently is, I would be more careful which ones I clicked.

Ooops - I guess I forgot to use my *sarcasm* font again.:frown:

ffs
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    [/quote]

1lb of feathers = 1lb of poop. If you want to compare weight.

To make it simpler for everyone:

1lb of anything weighs the exact same as 1lb of anything else.

Any further questions?
    [/quote]

exactly.

comparing volume is different. but that is a tricky statement because people jump to conclusions. a pound is a pound. muscle just looks better in volume
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Have a blessed day!

You are totally amazing! Thanks for that info. You know, it's great when someone is able to bring up a brand new subject that has never been BEATEN THE FRUCK TO DEATH on the forums! Have a blessed day yourself cuz you fugged mine up pretty good...

So the thread title wasn't a clue? If my day were as easily ruined by MFP forum threads as yours apparently is, I would be more careful which ones I clicked.

Ooops - I guess I forgot to use my *sarcasm* font again.:frown:

ffs

Yeah, I struggle with this concept of--how you say?--sarcasm. Going forward, please be more careful in your use of it.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    a pound is a pound is a pound no matter how you weigh it. Just the space it takes up varies pending on the object. A pound of feathers take up more space than a pound of muscle.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Um, a pound of MUSCLE does weigh MORE than a pound of FAT.

If you put a pound of fat and a pound of muscle in water, only the muscle is going to sink because it's HEAVIER.

It's simple psychics, asimov's second law of motion. duh.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Have a blessed day!

I don't think anyone ever said a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.

No, I'm on this site a lot and I've never, ever seen that. But it truly amazes me how many people can't think in terms of anything other than 1 pound. It's incredibly odd how often "A pound of muscles equals a pound of fat" is posted. It's an American phenomenon I guess, because I've never seen "A kg of muscles equals a kg of fat" posted.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    if i lived on mars my man berries would weigh 3 pounds ....................
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    not this crap again.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ah-ha! Excellent point my friend, but a challenger appears! Take a piece each of fat and muscle, portioning equal volume betwixt the two. A square inch of muscle would indeed exert more gravitational force than a square inch of fat!

I have no idea why I typed like that, but I was really into it.

Lovely turn of phrase but, perchance, did you mean a cubic inch of fat an a cubic inch of muscle?
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Either way, the solution is obvious:

Eat 1200 daily calories.

The only question remaining is, what is the effect of eating back all, some, or none of my exercise calories?

Eat as little as possible is the correct answer (I can read your humor :wink: )
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options

If you put a pound of fat and a pound of muscle in water, only the muscle is going to sink because it's HEAVIER.

christ on a cracker

it sinks due to density, not weight.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Popcorn nom nom nom `mermx sits back, relaxes and reads the same old, same old whilst munching`

Anyone want to share popcorn?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    a pound is a pound is a pound no matter how you weigh it. Just the space it takes up varies pending on the object. A pound of feathers take up more space than a pound of muscle.

I still don't get it. Could someone please explain it one more time but without all of the big complicated sciency words?

Eh, I'm probably just being DENSE. <-- :wink:
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options

oh my god!! then a pebble must weigh more than a SHIP, according to your logic...
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Wow! I've never heard this..... not even once here on MFP. :huh:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You can lead a gift horse to water, but you can't look him in the mouth.....
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    fat doesn't do anything but sit there and look ugly.

Wrong. The purpose of adipose tissue is to provide insulation from heat and cold and also to provide padding and protection for various organs.