Paleo Diet!

Options
Has anyone here tried eating the way our caveman ancestors did? How did it go for you? Did you lose weight? Did you drink milk?

Here's an article for it:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

Let me know what you guys think!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Don't really follow it, but I realized after reading about it that it's basically what I do with a few exceptions.

I drink about 16 oz milk/day, but I usually go for skim.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Yes and no, I don't drink dairy-- there's an entire group for it that you can join and ask questions of too :)
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Don't really follow it, but I realized after reading about it that it's basically what I do with a few exceptions.

I drink about 16 oz milk/day, but I usually go for skim.

i drink at least one glass of skim a day too, so i was curious (:
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You might want to do Primal then. Less restrictions.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Read more about it, don't let the idea go and don't let other people talk you out of it because I guarantee they haven't given it a real chance. Read the research, the science behind it and the see the results for yourself.

My results - I lost all of my weight (39 lbs), decreased my overall cholesterol, and reduced my thyroid meds all within 6 months time. I eat 60% fat (including full-fat dairy), 25% protein (strength training) and 15% carbs from veggies and fruit.

Grok on!
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You might want to do Primal then. Less restrictions.

Yes, agreed. Primal is easier for me too. I can try Paleo but I love dairy too much.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hell to the no! Too many restrictions for me. I have a lot of friends on it though. One has actually lost weight, the rest are always falling of the wagon or constantly cheating.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat beans and peanuts
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here tried eating the way our caveman ancestors did?

It's impossible to eat the way our caveman ancestors did, but there are quite a few Paleo Diet followers on MFP. Just search the forums or groups to find them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Read more about it, don't let the idea go and don't let other people talk you out of it because I guarantee they haven't given it a real chance. Read the research, the science behind it and the see the results for yourself.

My results - I lost all of my weight (39 lbs), decreased my overall cholesterol, and reduced my thyroid meds all within 6 months time. I eat 60% fat (including full-fat dairy), 25% protein (strength training) and 15% carbs from veggies and fruit.

Grok on!

Similar here. Overall, feel much better, and GERD almost completely gone. Lost all 30 pounds I wanted to lose in six months. Since then, have spent the past six months intentionally adding mostly lean mass (and am currently up around 14 pounds. I think my current ratios are around 60%F/20%P/20%C.

A major downside is that there are people out there who are very emotionally against the idea. They themselves usually claim that they believe it is too restrictive and that they could never give up their breads. (And many of these people will do whatever they can to convince you of the error of your ways.) My counter is that by completely giving up certain foods, I no longer crave them...or said another way, I have broken my addiction to certain foods. It is very liberating and makes it so much easier to make good, intentional dietary decisions. In other words, the more I stay "on plan", the easier it is to stay "on plan".

If you do decide to pursue it further, there are a lot of resources on the internet to help you. (whole9.org has a very helpful "induction phase" program that you may find helpful.)

EDIT: because grammar matters
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here tried eating the way our caveman ancestors did? How did it go for you? Did you lose weight? Did you drink milk?

Here's an article for it:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

Let me know what you guys think!:flowerforyou:

I've been living Paleo for about 4-5 months now and I love it! I've become more physically fit than I have been in my entire life and it is amazing. It was rough for the first couple of weeks, but honestly I don't even crave the foods I used to eat anymore. I have had things like pizza a couple of times since I started eating Paleo as "cheats" but anymore it is just not satisfying. I do not do dairy and I do not miss it. I have lost 42lbs so far, most of which were in about a 3 month time period, and have gone from roughly 25-27% body fat down to 14.7-14.9%. I highly recommend Paleo to anyone who can try it and is able minded enough to realize we don't have to eat McDonalds or TacoBell everyday. I isn't impossible to eat Paleo, unless you legitimately mean eat like they did because yes... it might be difficult to find mastodon and saber-toothed tiger meat and the local grocer...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the taste of something is not the same as an addiction. I've been addicted before. I am currently addicted to nicotine.

To suggest that people are addicted to bread is absurd.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Why "Paleo Diet!" and not "Paleo Diet"? Just wondering.
  • LindsayT2012
    LindsayT2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hy could you not eat peanuts? Peanuts are a nut and nuts are aloud
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    hy could you not eat peanuts? Peanuts are a nut and nuts are aloud

Peanuts are a legume and are full of anti nutrients... thats your answer in a nut shell :wink:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the taste of something is not the same as an addiction. I've been addicted before. I am currently addicted to nicotine.

Absurd? Really?

Perhaps you and I are working with different definitions of the word "addiction". I would argue that people whose primary objection to a particular diet is that they are unable to stop eating a particular food are addicted to that food. We can argue to what extent the source of that addiction is physical or psychological (to which I contend it is likely both), but I do not understand your position that it is not an addiction.

(EDIT: to delete an adverb that didn't read quite right.)
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options

It actually is not absurd to say that people can become addicted to bread or any other food for that matter. When people eat, the flavors of the food set off all sorts of reactions throughout the body. And just like with other addictive substances, your body develops a dependency. Have you never seen someone who eats breads and grains every day stop eating bread for a while? They get sick, they get headaches, their body has become dependent upon the very thing that is merely food. Food is very much a drug to many people and while I respect your opinion, but I do have to (respectfully of course) disagree with it.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Paleo helped me lose the last 10lbs effortlessly. and I still eat a little dairy everyday (plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese) and Ezekial breads every once in awhile. It's amazing that all these years I've been working out and you couldn't really tell- now I look like I work out b/c the fat is melting away and I can see my muscle. I love this way of eating!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've given up smoking and breads, pastas and rice and -- for me-- the experience was very similar.

It is absolutely freeing not to spend all day obsessing about food and trying to arrange snacks all day in an attempt to keep my appetite under control. Whether it's a "real" addiction or not I don't know but I treated my smoking and eating almost the same way...always planning and thinking about the next cigarette or snack and intense pleasure when I was smoking or eating and then the cycle started all of again.
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Why "Paleo Diet!" and not "Paleo Diet"? Just wondering.

I get excited.