Paleo Diet!

Options

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    This thread has degenerated into something not even remotely addressing the original question. It may be helpful to her if we stayed on point.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Do you count calories following Paleo/Primal? It was hard for me because on the one hand I wanted to track everything but then got worried about going over my calorie limit. I also didn't have a sense of portion control and felt like I was eating too much protein.

I do, and it also helps with macro's. I like to see what I eat in a list and then adjust accordingly.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This thread has degenerated into something not even remotely addressing the original question. It may be helpful to her if we stayed on point.

Here. Maybe this can help bring it back to OP's topic: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ancient-wisdom-confirmed-by-modern-science
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    So anywho...back on the TOPIC! Paleo is awesome
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Here. Maybe this can help bring it back to OP's topic: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ancient-wisdom-confirmed-by-modern-science

YES. Great article.. Read that one this morning. I'm always entertained and always learn more information from Marks (or his guests) posts.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Do you count calories following Paleo/Primal? It was hard for me because on the one hand I wanted to track everything but then got worried about going over my calorie limit. I also didn't have a sense of portion control and felt like I was eating too much protein.

I do, and it also helps with macro's. I like to see what I eat in a list and then adjust accordingly.

I definitely log it. One, because I'm a huge nerd and I loves me some data. But two, so I can answer the questions I get about my diet. Sure, I could respond to "you sure do eat a lot of fat" with "yeah, so?" (which would be a totally accurate answer), but I'd rather respond with "yeah, about 60% of my total calories...(so?)". Eh, so it's mostly the same thing, so I guess it's more reason one.

Another reason I log it is...(anyone current struggling to lose weight, stop reading here...no, really, don't read any further...you'll hate me)...because I lost all of the weight I wanted to lose and am now actively trying to add some mass...preferably mostly *lean* mass...and my food log helps me evaluate what is and is not working. It also ensures that I consume *enough* calories as I treat that daily allotment as a daily minimum.

Finally, food allergies (especially mild allergies) are quirky things. I consider my food log as a valuable potential tool for detecting them.

Besides, my MFP friends (and random nosy strangers) wouldn't be "mind blown" by my diary if I didn't log my food. (Although today's food log so far has been an abysmal failure due to an unfortunate string of food-related issues (unripe avocado, out of olive oil, no time for usual breakfast, etc.))
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Questions for those who follow a primal lifestyle:

With the dairy, do you do full-fat or can I keep my skim milk? How strict are y'all on the issue of legumes? Where do you keep your carb cut-off at? And is it net carbs or regular carbs?

I had a friend who had great success following a low carb/paleo diet, and she swears by it. I derail any success I have with insane carb binges, so I'm considering the switch! Thank you!
  • CRody44
    Options

My cardiologist had placed me on an 1800 calorie, low sodium diet, plus I am diabetic (2), so logging helped me stay within her recommendations. Then I went Paleo/Primal and I logged faithfully for three months which helped me learn as well as stay on track. I tried to go without logging and slowly went back to my old eating ways. I went back to Primal the first of June, and found that logging is the only way that I can be successful and I can juggle things around to meet my nutritional requirements and stay Primal. I log everything I plan to eat un the morning so there will be no surprised come dinnertime.
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Im not exactly on a paelo diet, because I still have green tea and coffee. But apart from that my diet is basically the same!
    Heres hoping it works! :D
  • CRody44
    Options
    With the dairy, do you do full-fat or can I keep my skim milk? How strict are y'all on the issue of legumes? Where do you keep your carb cut-off at? And is it net carbs or regular carbs?

Primal allows you to have dairy if you are not intolerant. I don’t drink milk but I loves my cheeses but I have to limit them because of the sodium.

The Primal Blueprint recommends 50-100 carbs to lose weight, 100=150 to maintain and over 150 to gain. I'm a real fata$$ so I try to stay between 50-80. I’m not sure what you mean by net vs regular carbs. I log everything that goes into my mouth.

Re: legumes, I occasionally eat a few tablespoons of peanut butter if I need to boost my calories at the end of the day, but I gave up beans.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I had a friend who had great success following a low carb/paleo diet, and she swears by it. I derail any success I have with insane carb binges, so I'm considering the switch! Thank you!

My personal approach/opinion for your questions:
    I generally don't do regular dairy. (Exceptions would be 85% Green & Black's chocolate, Kerrygold butter, and a *very* occasional cheese.) Was easy for me as I wasn't big on dairy before either. (As a kid, I would knock back 32+ oz daily of chocolate milk....mmmm, how I loved Nestle chocolate milk.) If I were to have to drink milk now, based on what I know, my preference would be for raw milk. If not an option, then full fat. Skim would be my last resort. (Note, I have done very little research on dairy simply because I have no desire for it.)

I eat no legumes. My daughter loves them and I don't restrict her. As far as how important I believe completely eliminating legumes are? Probably not very (assuming they are well-tolerated by the individual). Given the choice between eliminating grains and eliminating legumes, I believe eliminating grains is far more important.

If dairy and legumes are deal-breakers for you, then I would suggest you try it without eliminating them. Sure, ideally, you would leave them out too, at least in the beginning, but if the choice is between primal with dairy and legumes vs. SAD, then the former is substantially better, (again IMHO).

(www.marksdailyapple.com would probably be a good resource for you. He addresses these questions (frequently) and has a generally more relaxed dietary view (as opposed to others who can be just a tad dogmatic)).

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

EDIT: I missed your carb questions, and those are a couple of my favorite topics...not because I think I know anything about them, but because I'm experimenting with them myself.

As I've said before, I am on a planned gain right now. I thought I was eating a fairly high carb diet, given all of the root veggies and fruit I eat (especially sweet potatoes), but I seldom exceed 150g. On days I don't eat 250-400g of sweet potatoes and half a cantaloupe or more, my carbs are (obviously, duh) much lower. It's just tough to eat a substantial amount of carbs when you eliminate the "easy" carbs (grains) from your diet. If I do decide to later reduce my carbs, I'll simply eliminate the sweet potatoes and fruit.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Im not exactly on a paelo diet, because I still have green tea and coffee. But apart from that my diet is basically the same!
    Heres hoping it works! :D

In my opinion, if your diet is "paleo" except for green tea and coffee, then your diet is paleo. These two things are not deal-breakers in my book (and would not get you kicked off of Paleo Island).
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    hy could you not eat peanuts? Peanuts are a nut and nuts are aloud

*Allowed
    ** Peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes
    ***PALEO works
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are legumes, not nuts
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I follow Primal, because I still eat cheese-for my milk I drink almond milk.
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options

AHA! You stumbled on the key word: dependency. You can become dependent on anything. It is not the same as a physical addiction, but it is still unhealthy. I am simply providing the difference. We can find different ways to deal with stress, but overcoming physical addiction causes very real physical symptoms not present when breaking psychological dependencies. Therein lies the difference. The difference is of note to me personally because I have suffered both. That's why I originally stated that I know the difference.

I can go months at a time without thinking about something, and I'm fine. I can't go more than a couple of hours without a cigarette before my body physically reminds me that it is low on nicotine. My body actually believes that nicotine is a required susbtance, even though we all know that it is not.

But in the real world, what difference can it possibly make to someone? I just don't get the point ... You win?
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I count calories, and have had to learn portion control with Primal. I am over every day on my protein, and if anything it has made losing weight easier.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options

If you do consume dairy, full fat is recommended. I'm very strict on the legumes issues which I think is universally true of most Paleo/primal followers (sounds like a religion). The way I eat I don't really have to count carbs, it naturally stays below 100 carbs a day without me even trying.