Paleo Diet!

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I also guess my Naturopathic M.D and Chiropractor are also lying when they said that anyone that eats the Standard American Diet (SAD) has food addiction issues.

I guess they are all lying???????????? And 2 of these people are very well versed in nutrition.

I'm sorry, but how exactly how is a chiropractor well versed in nutrition? His specialty is in the bones and muscles in the back.

Who said I was talking about my Chiropractor?

Part of that quote was cut out. Go back and read what I actually typed in its entirety.

You only identified two people in that statement. One of which is a chiropractor. I omitted everything above because it is not relevant to the point that your chiropractor is NOT well versed in nutrition. I've read many of your posts in this thread. Your arguments are full of holes.

The quote was cut.

The very first person I mentioned in MY original quote was my metabolic endocrinologist........ And for the record, my endocrinologist and naturopathic Dr are both certified dieticians and my chiropractor is taking some of the same classes I am taking at the moment.

You quoted the part of the conversation that ACG67 quoted and he cut out part of what I said.

Here is ALL of what I said since you don't want to go back and read it. I never said which 2 of the 3 Dr's I stated were well versed.

WOW, so the Metabolic endocrinologist is lying when he says the people that whine and cry about having to limit or give up certain foods to be HEALTHY.

I also guess my Naturopathic M.D and Chiropractor are also lying when they said that anyone that eats the Standard American Diet (SAD) has food addiction issues.

I guess they are all lying???????????? And 2 of these people are very well versed in nutrition.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If you have no addiction issues..........

Then give up bread for 30 days.

Eat only FATS, Proteins and carbs from fruits and vegetables.

30 DAYS...............If you are not willing or able to give it a go for 30 days, then yes in deed there are addiction issues.

Good grief! This is silly. Just because someone chooses not to participate in another's experiment is not proof of an addiction.

I would refuse to go barefoot for 30 days. That doesn't make me addicted to shoes.

I absolutely agree with this. You expect someone to sacrifice a well-balanced diet for the sake of proving you wrong. Nah... not worth my energy.

Oh and the 'food addiction' thing is just retarded. I am a recovering drug addict. There is a chemical reaction that occurs in the brain when you abuse substances. That same chemical reaction can occur with food, but not nearly as intensely. Our bodies require food. Whether you are paleo, vegetarian, keto, or cutting any other specific food item out of your diet, if you are not especially careful you can create nutritional defeciencies that will disrupt weight loss and health in the long run. I'm not even really convinced that you can avoid those deficiencies, but what you do with your body is your choice. But refusing to take an extreme measure that could cause deficiencies has absolutely NOTHING to do with food addiction. The closest anyone comes to an addiction with food are binge eaters.

This makes me laugh.

When I looked at that person's food diary there is nothing balanced about it.

I eat very balanced.

Meat, fats, vegetables and fruits.

Every Dr I have went to see says I eat very balanced and wish more their patients would do the same. But they won't due to their food addictions.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you have no addiction issues..........

Then give up bread for 30 days.

Eat only FATS, Proteins and carbs from fruits and vegetables.

30 DAYS...............If you are not willing or able to give it a go for 30 days, then yes in deed there are addiction issues.

Good grief! This is silly. Just because someone chooses not to participate in another's experiment is not proof of an addiction.

I would refuse to go barefoot for 30 days. That doesn't make me addicted to shoes.

I absolutely agree with this. You expect someone to sacrifice a well-balanced diet for the sake of proving you wrong. Nah... not worth my energy.

Oh and the 'food addiction' thing is just retarded. I am a recovering drug addict. There is a chemical reaction that occurs in the brain when you abuse substances. That same chemical reaction can occur with food, but not nearly as intensely. Our bodies require food. Whether you are paleo, vegetarian, keto, or cutting any other specific food item out of your diet, if you are not especially careful you can create nutritional defeciencies that will disrupt weight loss and health in the long run. I'm not even really convinced that you can avoid those deficiencies, but what you do with your body is your choice. But refusing to take an extreme measure that could cause deficiencies has absolutely NOTHING to do with food addiction. The closest anyone comes to an addiction with food are binge eaters.

This makes me laugh.

When I looked at that person's food diary there is nothing balanced about it.

I eat very balanced.

Meat, fats, vegetables and fruits.

Every Dr I have went to see says I eat very balanced and wish more their patients would do the same. But they won't due to their food addictions.

My diary is only open to my friends because of judgmental hypocrites such as yourself so I know you aren't referring to me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

My diary is only open to my friends because of judgmental hypocrites such as yourself so I know you aren't referring to me.

And my diary is open to the public because I don't care what judgmental hypocrites (or anyone else) have to say about my diet...

...unless, of course, they say something (either positively or negatively) that leads me to either a better understanding of my diet or a necessary change to my diet. While I have done considerable research (including the actual peer-reviewed studies, the summaries of those presented by various authors, and many anecdotal stories), I am confident that what any of us think we know now is not 100% correct...but I look forward to getting closer to it, if possible.

So dig in and hammer away...(but I'd prefer if you look at a day other than today...between the pork rinds and the complete lack of veggies (at least so far), today hasn't been one of my prouder food diary days). :drinker:

EDIT: because proper plurality of verbs matters...to me.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    LOL, this thread got derailed, hard.
    Am I on 4chan again?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the "heart healthy grains" mantra is not backed by good science. (I''ll let the conspiracy theorists run with possible reasons for it.)

Why, in your opinion, is the science backing it not good?

Let's play this another way: what support is there that consuming grains leads to "heart health"?

Hey, it was your opinion. If you don't want to (or can't) back it up, that's okay.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    In my opinion, the "heart healthy grains" mantra is not backed by good science. (I''ll let the conspiracy theorists run with possible reasons for it.)

Let's play this another way: what support is there that consuming grains leads to "heart health"?

Hey, it was your opinion. If you don't want to (or can't) back it up, that's okay.

Meh. I searched the research and couldn't find support for the CW "heart healthy grain" argument. It's hard to prove a negative. I'd love to learn that I'm wrong though...even though I don't think I am. If I was, I would have expected the MFP paleo-bashers to have posted several cites to prove me wrong.

But don't misunderstand, it doesn't bother me if others continue eating those "heart-healthy grains". And when I am diagnosed as "grain deficient", you can have the last laugh.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Meh. I searched the research and couldn't find support for the CW "heart healthy grain" argument. It's hard to prove a negative. I'd love to learn that I'm wrong though...even though I don't think I am. If I was, I would have expected the MFP paleo-bashers to have posted several cites to prove me wrong.

But don't misunderstand, it doesn't bother me if others continue eating those "heart-healthy grains". And when I am diagnosed as "grain deficient", you can have the last laugh.

I just want to point out that no one ever mentioned "grain" deficiencies other than you. However, you can deprive your body of unsaturated fats, proteins, and carbs, all of which can be obtained through whole grain. Sure, there are other sources and if you can sufficiently supply your body with them, then that is great, but those that have debated this issue with you have disputed your "grains are evil" mantra. Nothing more. You have taken what I and others have said and twisted them which is typically what people do when they can't fully support their point.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Hmm, this makes no sense to me given your remark that the science is not good in your opinion. I don't understand the statement if you couldn't find anything wrong with the science.

BTW - I'm not a Paleo basher. When followed properly it probably is a healthy diet, as are many restrictive diets. I haven't seen any research on it long term, so I couldn't say for sure. I was just curious why you thought all the studies you read were not good science, when it seems most of the actual scientists think it is good science.
  • jessihoover
    Options
    bump
  • ncashman
    ncashman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the taste of something is not the same as an addiction. I've been addicted before. I am currently addicted to nicotine.

To suggest that people are addicted to bread is absurd.

Actually Its not. I'm getting my masters in nutrition and there is a lot of research out there about food addiction/cravings. As well, people with food intolerances tend to crave the foods that they can't digest properly.

As for paleo, I've been gluten free for 4 years and strict paleo for 4-5 months and feeling great. I had tons of weird symptoms other than GI issues that have completely gone away since restricting gluten and the rest of the non paleo foods. Everything from head to toe joint pain, dry skin, headaches (the list goes on...) are not an issue now that I changed my diet.

My professors recommend eating paleo and I also do crossfit which promotes the paleo diet quite a bit. You have to find the right balance of carbs/protein/fat for your particular body. Everyone will be different. Some people misinterpret the paleo diet as a meat only diet but your main part of the meal should be vegetables with a lean healthy protein and healthy fat to balance it out.

Good luck! I always recommend trying it for a month and see how you feel. But be strict and really follow it for the whole month. Then try slowly adding back in foods and see how your body reacts.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are a legume and are full of anti nutrients...

Lol, anti nutrients? Is that an actual term? Legumes are packed with good fats and protein.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'll post more later when I have time (and assuming I remember this topic exists), but very quickly (and then back to my day job)...

My position is that there is not good support for the "eat more 'heart healthy grains'" advice. (And I guess rather than saying that the science is bad, it would have been more accurate that I said I do not believe science exists that supports the advice. Almost the same thing, but slightly different.) I was asked to provide support for that, so I went in search of a lack of studies that support the advice. Obviously, you can see the problem here...finding support for the position that the advice is not well-supported. (Sure, there are plenty of secondary articles that would seem to back me up, but my position was not that there were secondary sources. I'm saying that I do not believe that the primary research supports the claim.) So, to me, the obvious solution is to approach it from the other direction...so I solicited cites to any studies that actually support the advice from those who believe it is sound. (I guess I could cherry-pick some poorly-executed straw-man studies that help my side, but that isn't how I roll.) Once provided by the "pro grains" side, I thought we could look at those studies to see if the conclusion actually supports the advice. However, we never got to that point. Instead, my question was ignored.

In your defense, you *did* ask your question first...so normally I would agree that we should address that before moving on to *my* question. My problem is, I believe it is impossible to find support for a position that the support does not exist. However, I'll see what I can do to provide some secondary sources...though not sufficient for meeting my original position, they may provide some ideas as to where we can go from here. Meanwhile, if you could provide a few cites in support of your position, this whole discussion could be resolved more quickly (and I would accept my defeat with as much grace and dignity as I can muster having just lost an MFP forum discussion).

And as my admittedly-flippant "grain deficiency" comment, I obviously should not have made it. Not because it had no merit, but because it obviously distracted at least one person from the actual question(s) at hand. Just for clarification (and redundant redundancy), I believe there are two issues here: one is whether or not grains are healthy and the other is whether or not grains are unhealthy. The current discussion is the former.

BTW - I'm not a Paleo pusher...at least beyond my belief that people who have been suffering one or more ailments on a long list of ailments that *may* be remedied by eliminating grains, legumes, and/or dairy should try it for a month to see if it is potentially beneficial.
  • ncashman
    ncashman Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Hmm, this makes no sense to me given your remark that the science is not good in your opinion. I don't understand the statement if you couldn't find anything wrong with the science.

BTW - I'm not a Paleo basher. When followed properly it probably is a healthy diet, as are many restrictive diets. I haven't seen any research on it long term, so I couldn't say for sure. I was just curious why you thought all the studies you read were not good science, when it seems most of the actual scientists think it is good science.

If you guys are interested there's a book called "Wheat Belly" by a cardiologist Dr. William Davis who treats his patients with a wheat free nutritional program. Check it out! http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m72oezUPML1qf1116o1_250.gif
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Paleo threads always get completely derailed by some bread lover who takes it personally that someone else DOESNT WANT BREAD!!

But seriously, I keep getting it from a friend at work 'I cant think of anything worse than cutting out whole food groups/I could never give up cheese or bread/why be so restrictive' etc etc.

Ive been eating pretty much paleo for a month now. I still drink alcohol on a weekend, occasionally I'll eat a non-paleo foodstuff,usually if I go to a restaurant...thoooooough I organsised a lab dinner last week, and we went to a churrscaria...all the delicious grilled meat you could want, it was delicious. I eat well, today was a lifting day, I had a banana, a (non-paleo) protein shake and 2 eggs with smoked salmon for breakfast. For lunch I had chicken with rocket, avocado and tomatos (made into a makeshift guac) and for dinner, well, Im not sure yet, more than likely baked sweet potato and some homemade keema. Ive snacked on fruit and nuts. I feel amazing, have lots of energy, feel happier and generally more relaxed. I personally dont count calories, Ive found eating this way has given me a MUCH healthier attitude towards food and eating. I also started lifting heavy 9 weeks ago and have seen more of a change in my body than I do the whole of last year calorie counting and gymming for sometimes up to 3 hours a day (and hearing everyone tell me I was overdoing it...talk about learning to work smarter instead of harder).

In terms of giving up bread, pasta, etc. I dont miss it, I feel fine not eating it. I did get a funny look from the waiter when I asked for a burger without the bun at the weekend, but whatevs. I also LOVE cheese, but I dont miss that either, I had a slice of it on my urger while I was out and it tasted of nothing. If I went to france on holiday would I eat some cheese, probably, would I go back to eating it all the time, no.

When it comes down to it, I personally think eating unprocessed, more natural food is a good way to go. Its definitely been a good choice for me :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Paleo threads always get completely derailed by some bread lover who takes it personally that someone else DOESNT WANT BREAD!!

But seriously, I keep getting it from a friend at work 'I cant think of anything worse than cutting out whole food groups/I could never give up cheese or bread/why be so restrictive' etc etc.

Ive been eating pretty much paleo for a month now. I still drink alcohol on a weekend, occasionally I'll eat a non-paleo foodstuff,usually if I go to a restaurant...thoooooough I organsised a lab dinner last week, and we went to a churrscaria...all the delicious grilled meat you could want, it was delicious. I eat well, today was a lifting day, I had a banana, a (non-paleo) protein shake and 2 eggs with smoked salmon for breakfast. For lunch I had chicken with rocket, avocado and tomatos (made into a makeshift guac) and for dinner, well, Im not sure yet, more than likely baked sweet potato and some homemade keema. Ive snacked on fruit and nuts. I feel amazing, have lots of energy, feel happier and generally more relaxed. I personally dont count calories, Ive found eating this way has given me a MUCH healthier attitude towards food and eating. I also started lifting heavy 9 weeks ago and have seen more of a change in my body than I do the whole of last year calorie counting and gymming for sometimes up to 3 hours a day (and hearing everyone tell me I was overdoing it...talk about learning to work smarter instead of harder).

In terms of giving up bread, pasta, etc. I dont miss it, I feel fine not eating it. I did get a funny look from the waiter when I asked for a burger without the bun at the weekend, but whatevs. I also LOVE cheese, but I dont miss that either, I had a slice of it on my urger while I was out and it tasted of nothing. If I went to france on holiday would I eat some cheese, probably, would I go back to eating it all the time, no.

When it comes down to it, I personally think eating unprocessed, more natural food is a good way to go. Its definitely been a good choice for me :)

Works for me too, well said :)
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Good stuff!

You do get used to the 'no-bread-burger' look though - or maybe there is less reaction because it's just becoming more common now with more people going Paleo and gluten-free becoming more prominent.

I remember the first time I asked for it though - definitely felt awkward, haha.
  • MrsBobbyNevada
    MrsBobbyNevada Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If for a fact (which you said) that eating natural whole foods is too restrictive for you, then there are DEFINITELY some addiction issues there.

And you are DEFINITELY an idiot! You have no clue what it means to be addicted. If I enjoy peanuts as an occasional snack, that doesn't mean I have psychological problems. You are belittling true addicts when you make assanine statements like that.

It's unfortunate that you don't enjoy your Capt Caveman diet. I am enjoying my diet. It's too bad that some people confuse enjoyment with destruction. :smokin:

It's just too bad that a few people can't have respect for others around here. :yawn:

Not a good idea with the name calling. Sensitive much that you have to call me names and I have NOT once called you or anyone a name. My name is not idiot and I don't accept treatment as such.

I am belittling no one. I am blunt and speaking the truth.

And I do enjoy the food I eat..............I just don't live to eat food. I have a GREAT BIG LIFE outside of eating and I enjoy those things.

Life is too short to sit around worrying about calorie counting and stuffing your face.

And for the record, my Dr has told me numerous times that he admires the fact that I was able to switch my eating and lifestyle and he no longer has to write prescriptions for me.

He said that the majority of his patients are so far in denial about their ADDICTIONS because they cry and whine about being on a so-called resticitive eating plan.

I find nothing restrictive about the way I eat and I enjoy every bite. Like I said before I don't live to eat.

You are not speaking the truth. You are telling outright lies that are simply your opinion. If I have any addiction issues, other than nicotine, it's the inability to let people get away with lying. I have to call them out. Sorry if you the truth hurts.

I don't consider paleo "restrictive," so much as I consider it retarded. (my opinion) You are no different than a KKK member, pretending that somehow you are better than others because you make different choices in life. Or a Westboro Baptist member claiming that everyone who thinks differently is going to burn in hell. Please get off your high horse and realize that everyone has free will to make choices in life, including what we put in our own bodies. Your little word games with the definition of words serves no purpose other than to make you feel superior to others. If that's your head-trip, your "addiction," to feel smug and superior, then more power to ya, but don't sit around wondering why people don't like you.

Your statements serve to prove my point. There is no point in debating someone so blind, so I am through with you and this thread.

WOW. Overreact much? :noway:
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If I did this I would be more Primal than Paleo. I'm the granddaughter of a dairy farmer.

That being said, there are a few reasons I haven't conformed to this way of eating;

1. It's way too expensive. I am a SAHM of 6.
    2. Not convinced that legumes are bad for you.
    3. I like grains, have no intolerance to them.
    4. I have pretty darn good blood work!

For those of you who do this and are having success congrats! For those who are doing something else and having success congrats.

I have found that I need to do something that I can maintain for a lifetime, eliminating groups of food isn't sustainable for me.