1200 cals this way works...

Options

Replies

• andcowsfly
    andcowsfly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I am 5'2 with an ideal weight of about 115 lbs. Because of the way I eat, I have no problems consuming between 1000 and 1200 calories a day. When I ate more, I lost no weight even with exercise. I do not find myself hungry at 1200 calories (except for those occasional cravings, which aren't hunger, i.e. a hunger for candy :love: ) Anyway, especially for someone with low daily activity, 1200 is actually RECOMMENDED! So for anyone who doesn't get it and feels that this is inappropriate: MIND YOUR OWN DIET. I like to take in around 1000 cals leaving me room for an evening beverage :drinker:

Good luck to you and just let them keep being arrogant and ignorant while you go about your own weight loss journey. You're doing great!
  • andcowsfly
    andcowsfly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also, the way I see it, there are always variances in actual calorie content of meals. Keeping mine low ensures that I'm still right around my goal even if I go over by a few.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    1200 cal is very doable if you eat the right foods... I did it for the longest time, but bumped up to 1300, and plan to bump up again becuase I am SOOO close to my goa. If it works for you, do it, don't let others here nag on you.
  • missredd1
    missredd1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can do 1200 a day as long as i run. after i run im not as hungry as i thought i was and i eat less.:drinker:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Glad you found what works for you... sounds like you are getting all your nutrients... don't get too upset about others opinions it is a public forum. i don't eat back exercise calories as my 2 NHS dietitians say i shouldn't. (i eat 1500) I only eat back what I am hungry for, a lot of people are against this, but it is working for me and is professional advice, so i will keep doing it. x
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    1. Well said! I applaud you
    2. Some ppl tend to treat MFP like the weight loss bible....news flash: IT'S NOT.

Keep it up and best of luck with everything
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I think it's hilarious how quick people are to bring up starvation mode and have strong opinions about it, or tell people they are hurting themselves for eating 1200 calories a day. Yet, I never see anyone saying anything to people that are eating boxed lunches and dinners, a bunch of processed crap, fast food, or anything else that made us the way we are. (fat) So it's okay to over eat crap. (a response to that is always, it's okay, just get back on the wagon), but to someone who is restricting their calories to healthy foods, it's wrong? Just my opinion. Take the time you're spending on stalking those people's diaries, and find the ones that are eating the wrong foods and give them your advice.

I went to the doctor last week and he put me on a 1,000 calorie diet. He told me starvation mode, if it really exists, is something that would take months, even years, to occur. and def wouldn't happen to someone in the obese category. as i lose weight i can up my calories a little,but right now, for the sake of my health, it's more important to get the weight off of me, then to worry about a small amount of muscle loss or "starvation mode". I will die from diabetes or heart attack before i will die from muscle loss or "starvation mode". I'm doing exactly as my doctor says and the weight is falling off. and I feel great doing it.

I know everyone has a different opinion, but just wanted to share mine.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I mean, if you and your doctor are satisfied, whatever.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1300 and not having a hard time at all. Can't really argue with 8-9 lbs in 3 weeks when you have hypothyroidism. ( I know it says 11, but 3 lbs were from a couple months ago as well). You just have to make sure you net that many calories at least, and stick with it, be motivated, anything is possible!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting your fiber and your protein you can be very satisfies. I am on a higer calorie plan but, now that I am easting whole foods 90% of the time I find that I am pretty full at 1200 calories but, I push for the 1300 at least and 1600 if I am working out. Every-Body is different
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That pizza in your diary looks really nutritious and healthy too :)
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 a day, too, and I dont feel, hungry, I eat 3 real, balanced meals and 3 snacks a day and have consistently lost weight. It annoys me people think I am starving and subsisting on lettuce and scraps. People just cant conceive that if you actually plan meals and pay attention to what you are eating it can actually work.

I usually eat a breakfast sandwhich of some kind that I make myself ( i never buy my meals on the go), either 4oz steak, 4 oz chicken, or 4oz of fish with a green vegetable of my choosing, and corn, salad, or potato. 2 fruit snacks a day plus a 3rd snack of my choosing to finish up whatever calories I have left at night.

Some girl in the office he keeps pointing out how much weight I lost was gorging on pizza for lunch then snarkily said to me, : what did you eat for lunch---a salad?" When I told her I had steak, broccoli, and a potato ( all for under 400 calories) she surprisingly said, " oh, that actually sounds really good."

I have learned the people who criticize are the ones who dont have the discipline and the forethought to do this themselves.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    To the OP. I appreciate your rant. I get really tired of people giving unsolicited advice and making claims that their way is to only way. Your diet is an integral part of your lifestyle and is something that each of us should individually choose for ourselves.

:smile:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I say, if 1200 works for you, then do it. It is definitely possible to be healthy on 1200 and lose. I personally do not do 1200 because it is not enough for me, but others can.
  • brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bumpo
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200-1350 every day and I eat the way the OP described. It's mostly all fresh and cooked from scratch. It's pretty filling. But I weigh more than she does and I don't work out a lot. I think when I start adding more exercise, I will want to eat more.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any other posts except the first few.
    But anyways this is my take on it.
    I think 1200-1300 is awesome, especially coming from me who use to eat 500 calories a day.
    It is a big step for me.
    I feel so much better, healthier and more energy.
    I also do not eat much wheat, pasta, bread... as i just think they are bland in taste.
    Would rather devour a juice plum.
    I envy the people who are skinny/toned who eat like 1800 calories a day, wish i could but my stomach just does not stretch that far. I get horrible cramps and feel sick if I eat too much and 1200-1300 calories is just enough for me.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better on my 1200-1300 than I did at higher numbers. I'm listening to my body, not internet bullies. I also believe it's important to have a cheat day once in a while, have a nice dinner with the husband and not worry about the calories. For exercise, I prefer to do strength rather than cardio.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I too do 1200 calories a day, hit plateau so bumped it up to 1300 to shake things up, changing workouts too.
    I get PLENTY to eat on it. I eat clean, it can be done..
  • kaylachristine1016
    kaylachristine1016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal tells me i'm supposed to eat 1200 cal a day to go from 116.2 (right now) to 110 (ideal weight), so i have to do exactly this (eat non-processed foods) or i end up feeling hungry and then im more inclined to cheat.