Why 3 meals a day doesn't work...

Options

Replies

• ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've always heard you're not supposed to go more than 6 waking hours without eating something...True or False?

This is a serious question.... i'm new to this dieting thing and trying to figure out the best way for me. I've been led to believe I should eat 4 to 5 small meals per day 3 to 4 hours apart?

This idea will always be around. You will have no advantage with 6 meals as you would with 3. Being at a caloric deficit at the end of the day is all that matters.

When bulking up and trying to keep your calorie intake a specific calorie range it may make it tough for some people to eat huge meals. Splitting meals is a perfect way to remedy that. Instead of eating 3 1100-1500 meals then why not eat 6 600-700 meals?

Because who really has time to eat 6 meals a day? Not everyone has that ideal where they can sit down every two to three hours and bust out a 600-700 calorie meal.

Plus eating bigger meals are pretty easy to do if you eat calorie dense foods. You can pack a lot of calories in with very little amounts of food that way.

Guess you are missing the point. Most women are looking to lose weight so they wouldn't understand how it feels to eat massive amounts of healthy calories. This is mostly for men when they are bulking up slowly and healthy. Just illustrated how helpful it is to meet a 4500 calorie goal by splitting those meals into 6 meals rather than eating 3 huge 1500 meals. Whole food pasta is great, and sweet potatoes are great as well but most starchy carbs give you feeling of being full too quick and some people may not like that.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    10/10 thread would read again,
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    cough cough BS! ha ha
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I only eat one meal a day, but it starts about an hour after I wake up and ends about an houre before bed... unless there is some extra bacon left, then it ends after I am already in bed... nom nom nom... bacon crumbs..

HAHA i LOVE bacon! :laugh:
    Bacon is life. Every food can be enhanced with bacon, from Brussel sprouts to ice cream.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I only eat one meal a day, but it starts about an hour after I wake up and ends about an houre before bed... unless there is some extra bacon left, then it ends after I am already in bed... nom nom nom... bacon crumbs..

Bacon is life. Every food can be enhanced with bacon, from Brussel sprouts to ice cream.

Blehh- I disagree. I saw the burger king bacon sundae and wanted to vomit. But, MOSTLY everything can be enhanced with bacon b/c bacon is AWESOME.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    trololololololololol
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    3 meals sure won't cut it for me...I need 5 or 6.
    I am not sure about the metabolism question, but it makes sense.
    Maybe it's true.
    Who cares?
    I like to eat, and I need to have great food about 5 times each day or I go nuts.
    And I have science to back me up :drinker:

I saw your diary the other day and you ate like a bull that day lol. No way you can cramp that up in 3 meals.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Love it when newbies tell us how it is done

Too bad I do intermittent fasting.... I will probably die soon

Dude doesn't exactly look like a newbie. Something's working for him. :wink: I've tried the fasting once or twice and have had some interesting results! What is the biggest benefit for you?
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just dumb not to know this - I've always wondered why is that people who don't HAVE enough to eat, lose weight?
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hey O.P.

983451.gif

LMAO
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If you notice My Fitness Pal decides our resting metabolic rate by our age, our activity level, and our weight. That is what decided 80 % of our metabolism. How many meals we eat has no influence on metabolism. 10% of the calories we eat are used for metabolism. If you eat 1000 calories, you will burn 100 calories. If you eat 2000 calories you will burn 200 calories. Net result 900 calories vs 1800.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    3 meals sure won't cut it for me...I need 5 or 6.
    I am not sure about the metabolism question, but it makes sense.
    Maybe it's true.
    Who cares?
    I like to eat, and I need to have great food about 5 times each day or I go nuts.
    And I have science to back me up :drinker:

I saw your diary the other day and you ate like a bull that day lol. No way you can cramp that up in 3 meals.
    No way. I need those 6 meals...:drinker:
    And I like the idea of having a scientific reason to eat like I do, so this broscience I accept, because it's convenient.
    I am helping my metabolism!
    Or whatever....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Blehh- I disagree. I saw the burger king bacon sundae and wanted to vomit. But, MOSTLY everything can be enhanced with bacon b/c bacon is AWESOME.
    Any fast food bacon I've ever had is nasty, so I don't think I'll be trying the BK sundae. I would probably try one made with quality ice cream and good bacon, though, if only for curiosity's sake.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I lost 20 lbs eating 3 meals a day..... and it wasn't all muscle... so I am going to say false!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Oh brother...I tried this for about a month and I hated eating this way as I never ever ever felt satisfied.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    :laugh:
    Any fast food bacon I've ever had is nasty, so I don't think I'll be trying the BK sundae. I would probably try one made with quality ice cream and good bacon, though, if only for curiosity's sake.

Well, then if you do let me know how it is b/c I sure wont' be. That to me is like fries in frostys (wendys) .... i've never followed that craze. To me, some foods just aren't meant to be mixed. LOL
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Dude doesn't exactly look like a newbie. Something's working for him. :wink: I've tried the fasting once or twice and have had some interesting results! What is the biggest benefit for you?
    Something IS working for him, and it's called Photoshop! Take a closer look at the picture :laugh: (props to ElizabethRoad for being the first to catch this!)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Well, then if you do let me know how it is b/c I sure wont' be. That to me is like fries in frostys (wendys) .... i've never followed that craze. To me, some foods just aren't meant to be mixed. LOL
    Hmm, you probably wouldn't care to know about the garlic ice cream I tried, then. :D It was pretty good, but... different.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

Something IS working for him, and it's called Photoshop! Take a closer look at the picture :laugh: (props to ElizabethRoad for being the first to catch this!)

NO KIDDING, I saw her comment and had to go look for myself!
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Hmm, you probably wouldn't care to know about the garlic ice cream I tried, then. :D It was pretty good, but... different.

ICKY!!!!