Crock pot.. whats yours?

Options
Marcillene
Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
My son is 14 1/2 months. Only thing I use our crockpot for is barbecue lil smokies, chicken and dumplings, and chili.

What are your easy, favorite dishes in the crock pot. Would LOVE some ideas you can throw together in the morning, and by dinner/lunch time its done.!

Replies

• Marcillene
    Options
    1 to 2lbs browned, ground turkey or hamburger meat
    2 cans low sodium light red kidney beans
    2 cans pinto beans
    1 can navy beans (or another pinto)
    1 jar of salsa
    2 packages chili seasoning

I boil all my beans first IF we are going to be eating it right away. After browning my meat, I add 1 packet chili seasoning, 1 can of the pinto beans, and the whole jar of salsa and let it simmer for a few minutes while I make sure it is all stirred up.

In the crockpot I place all the rest of the beans, and one packet of chili seasoning with onion flakes (since the BF doesnt like onions or ANY peppers), garlic salt, and a dash of ground ceyenne pepper.

Then dump the ground meat mix into the crockpot, stir it up and viola!

EASY!

Makes medium/large size crockpot full.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You can throw in some fresh chicken breast (big ones not the bagged kind), and pour a bottle of salsa on top. Let it cook on low for 7-8 hours, and it comes out delicious and flaky. You can use it on top of pasta, by itself, or shred it and put it on a sandwich.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Throw some pork tenderloins in there with some potatoes and a couple cans of green enchilada sauce. Cook for 4-6 hours.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    ooohh YUUMM.. great ideas guys!
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump...I need some crockpot ideas
  • VelociMama
    Options
    There are also some really great recipes that are unusual but delicious on here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/menus-holidays-parties/everyday-meals/slow-cooker

OH, and pickup some crock pot liners if you want to make clean up easier. I swear by those things now.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this great ideas and information!!:flowerforyou:
  • Marcillene
    Options

OH, and pickup some crock pot liners if you want to make clean up easier. I swear by those things now.

Didn't know those things exist!!!
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My dinner is currently in the crock pot right now!

We are doing pulled chicken sandwiches. Throw a few breasts in there with some chicken broth, and any spices you want! We like to make ours real spicy!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'ts high in sodium but you could make a healthier version if you make your own salsa... I toss boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot with one jar of Great value (Walmart) corn and bean salsa. Let it cook all day, shred it, add some brown rice and you have tasty chicken to use in tortillas, tacos, salads or whatever. It also makes the whole house smell yummy!
  • VelociMama
    Options

Didn't know those things exist!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Slow-Cooker-Liners-4-Count/dp/B002U0KKK8

I had no idea they existed until recently too, and they are great, just be careful not to puncture the baggie when you scoop out the food.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Pulled Pork BBQ....Of course! :wink:
  • hmoncel0409
    hmoncel0409 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I actually got this recipe from someone on here a few months ago. It is very yummy and kind of tastes like a mexican style soup. I used extra lean ground turkey and I topped it with some chunks of avocado and spoonful of greek yogurt! They say 3 cups is a serving but that is alot of soup. I used 2 cups as a serving in my recipe calculator and it was about 250 calories. Hope you like it!

2 tsp. olive oil
    1.25 lbs lean ground beef, turkey or shredded chicken
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
    1 (14 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (32 oz.) bottle reduced-sodium tomato or vegetable cocktail juice
    1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    1 (14 oz.) can black, navy or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    1 Tbs. ground cumin
    1/8 tsp. cayenne, or to taste
    ¼ cup each fresh cilantro and parsley, chopped

I browned lean turkey in a skillet and then put everything in my crockpot for 2 hours. Store soup in refrigerator up to 5 days. Freezes well. Make 12-14 cups. 1 serving = 3 cups
  • pengem789
    pengem789 Posts: 45
    Options
    I LOVE my crockpot and I'm a mom. My kids have 2 favorites: 1. pot roast - get a roast (beef or pork), veggies (I use potatoes, carrots, celery). Add 1 tsp olive oil to the crock pot, slice onions thin (they pretty much liquify by the end of it) and line the bottom. Season the meat (I tenderize it too) and put the roast on top of the onions, add about a half cup of water (enough to make about 1" of liquid), add potatoes, then carrots/celery. Depending on the size of the roast, cook on low for 4-6 hours. Delicious! If you like veggies more crisp, hold off on the carrots/celery until about 2 hours before the meat is done.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Favorite of the boyfriend:
    Hickory Smoked Brisket

3-4 pounds beef brisket, or chuck roast
    1/2 cup hickory liquid smoke (or not this much. Maybe 1T or 2T? read comments...)
    1/4 cup A-1 steak sauce
    1 T celery salt (see note below, I'd stick with a 1/2T)
    1/2 T garlic powder
    1/2 t pepper

Use a 4 quart crockpot. I used a 6---if you only have a big guy, put a layer of foil down on top of the meat to create a smaller steaming space so your meat doesn't dry out.

Put the meat in your crockpot, add spices to all sides of it. Add A-1 and liquid smoke.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours

My favorite:
    7Up Chicken and Rice

3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 4)
    10.5 oz. can of cream of chicken soup
    12 oz. can of 7UP or lemon lime soda
    1 c. rice (Minute Rice is best)
    1/4 c. chicken broth

Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Cover with soup and 7UP. Cover and cook for 2-3 hours on low. Add rice and chicken broth and cook for 2-3 more hours until chicken is cooked through.

Favorite site for crockpot recipes:
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
  • pengem789
    pengem789 Posts: 45
    Options
    Here's # 2: My 12-year-old son makes this all by himself...
    1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle root beer
    1 (18 ounce) bottle your favorite barbecue sauce
    8 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
    Directions
    1.Place the pork tenderloin in a slow cooker; pour the root beer over the meat. Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, 6 to 7 hours. Note: the actual length of time may vary according to individual slow cooker. Drain well. Stir in barbecue sauce. Serve over hamburger buns.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Skinny Taste has a WONDERFUL Santa Fe Crock Pot Chicken recipe that is soooo yummy. I made bread pudding with rum sauce one time in mine and it turned out great. My kids fav is crock pot chicken and dumplings. For some reason, my dumplings turn out soooo much better in the crock pot than they do on the stove top. I will buy 10lb bags of chicken leg quarters at Wal Mart and throw it all in my crock pot and then when it is done, portion it out and freeze it for future meals. I always save back the liquid and freeze it for cooking homemade noodles in or soup or whenever I need chicken stock.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola in the crockpot. Exact amounts of ingredients will depend on size of crockpot and personal taste.

Rolled oats (can use quick cook or regular)
    Finely chopped nuts (I use a mix of almonds and walnuts)
    Raisons
    Chopped pitted dates
    Olive oil

Fill crockpot half full of oats. Add other dry ingredients as desired until crockpot is ¾ full. Mix well.
    Stir in olive oil until mix is just lightly moistened. I use a half cup of oil for a 4-quart crockpot.
    Cook on high, UNCOVERED, until done to taste. Stir every half hour or so to prevent burning on the bottom.
    Let cool before refrigerating.
    Keeps for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    @MandyKinz:

ur my fav person right now, love brisket! lol. Love the ideas!
  • hilly215
    hilly215 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can throw in some fresh chicken breast (big ones not the bagged kind), and pour a bottle of salsa on top. Let it cook on low for 7-8 hours, and it comes out delicious and flaky. You can use it on top of pasta, by itself, or shred it and put it on a sandwich.

This sounds fantastic! Thanks for the idea!!! :happy: :happy: