400 Net Calories for the Day: Scary Behavior

Options

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Just quietly unfriend them. No need to watch a train wreck .
    Yep....only I leave a hearty "I can NOT support your STARVATION DIET!"
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
    the best part about working out is getting to eat more.
  • valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ok, so someone tell me, if I eat 1200 calories, and work out and burn like 300 calories, do i have to eat those 300 calories too? Or am I all set with the 1200 I already ate? BTW, I am new at this. ;)
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was on a VLCD (very low calorie diet) for 8 weeks over a year ago before i joined MFP seriously. Although i lost 2 stone it made me very ill. Low blood sugar, low blood pressure, hair loss, weakened nails and skin, etc. Last week i sucessfully grew my nails past the tips of my fingers without them breaking or peeling off, for the first time in over a year and they are still going!! Unfortunately i have a huge ball of fuzz growing from my crown and hairline where my hair is growing back but realistically its my own fault so i just have to deal with it. And hopefully it won't take too long to grow back properly. I def won't be dropping my cals that low ever again!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My net is set to 1200, I have been trying as of late to be no more than 100 under that amount. I exercise everyday and consume somewhere between 1700 and 2000 calories. Since I now go to the gym after 9:00p and I know what my night snack is going to be, I can plan my exercise very tight to my goal, calories burned wise. I like to leave about 70-100 calories "on the table" to have a cushion against estimation errors. I did have a day where I netted that low but I had food poisoning and couldn't eat that day.
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ! Dont say im starving myself because Im not!, I eat a lot of food and because its all healthy there isn't a lot of calories.
    Take today:
    1 bowl of porridge - no sugar. with milk. -
    1 big cup of coffee -
    1 big cup of tea - no sugar -
    3 cups of cooked vegetables -
    half a big tin of tuna -
    a medium sized Salad
    Carrot sticks -
    another bowl of porridge - no sugar- with milk.-
    and im barely over 1200 cals.

then I also burn around 500 cals at the gym, mainly because im trying to improve my fitness. Not just lose weight.

So my net is often around 450.

Excuse me for trying to get fitter and not eating every second.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I get my net calories up to 1200 (after eating 1400+ calories, and burning off the rest), I find that I don't lose weight. It was back when my net calories were 800-1000 that I was losing a healthy 1-2 pounds a week. I was drilled with the 1200 net calories thing, and I finally did it, and stopped losing weight.

Everyone is different, and, for some people, it works. However, I don't think that eating 1000 is healthy on its own. Like, how can anyone be satisfied with 1000 calories a day :laugh: Food is way too good to not eat more than that.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Anddd some of us have genuine eating disorders. Just so you know, having a net above 300 kills me. Negative net makes me happy.

Seeing as how you call it an eating DISORDER, you already know it is not healthy. So are you suprised if someone points out that eating so little is unhealthy?
  • tabbyhuber
    Options
    so I am new and I don't know if anyone has asked this--
    when you work out at the gym it gives you a number for calories burned, but the same workout on the app says it was more, which is more accurate? The machine asks for age but not weight so I don't know if you burn more calories based on weight as well...I still haven't been able to figure out what net calories and everything are-I am definitely trying to lose weight, but I don't know if I am doing it right based on net cals or what...
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    so I am new and I don't know if anyone has asked this--
    when you work out at the gym it gives you a number for calories burned, but the same workout on the app says it was more, which is more accurate? The machine asks for age but not weight so I don't know if you burn more calories based on weight as well...I still haven't been able to figure out what net calories and everything are-I am definitely trying to lose weight, but I don't know if I am doing it right based on net cals or what...

I have a heart rate monitor. Before I got it, I took the number from the gym machine because it was lower, considerably lower than MFP. Once I got my Heart Rate monitor I find that the HRM is ususally slightly lower than MFP (sometimes about 15% lower) but sometimes about 5% higher. A heartrate monitor gives you the closest to reality so it's what I go with. I have a polar FT4 which I got from Amazon for about 65 dollars. You can do cheaper if you look around online but I had GCs so it was kinda free.

If you don't have a HRM I'd split the difference between MFP and the gym machines.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    ! Dont say im starving myself because Im not!, I eat a lot of food and because its all healthy there isn't a lot of calories.
    Take today:
    1 bowl of porridge - no sugar. with milk. -
    1 big cup of coffee -
    1 big cup of tea - no sugar -
    3 cups of cooked vegetables -
    half a big tin of tuna -
    a medium sized Salad
    Carrot sticks -
    another bowl of porridge - no sugar- with milk.-
    and im barely over 1200 cals.

then I also burn around 500 cals at the gym, mainly because im trying to improve my fitness. Not just lose weight.

So my net is often around 450.

Excuse me for trying to get fitter and not eating every second.

For me your doing just fine :) hell I have days (today will be one of those days when I'm done with Zumba and the Y) that I'm in the negative. I'm not gonna force myself to eat when I'm not hungry just because I burned a crap load of calories working out. I even ate chinese today and I'll still be in the negative amounts, whatever
  • Kymaaa3
    Kymaaa3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    duh!:blushing:
  • Dreas70
    Dreas70 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I am new to myfittness pal, I am 42, wanting to lose 15 more lbs, get back to around 125 which is healthy for me. I was in the Army 7 years ago. I know its maybe not realistic to get to the exact same shape, but would like to anyway. I dont usually eat 1200 calories a day tho, that seems like ALOT of food to me..... I just walked 2 miles and it deducted the calories i burned, so does it want me to eat another 400 today?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    beating-a-dead-horse-call-me-maybe.jpg
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 calories per day for most of my major weight loss, but I ate every single calorie, AND every single over-estimated exercise calorie. I would have fainted had I not, I think. I don't know how people do that shiz.

Yeah I just wonder about the long-term complications for people: low blood sugar, their body feeding off itself and reducing lean muscle mass, or else their teeth, hair and organs. I don't think people realize the net number is already built in with a weight loss.

A girl who was on a VLCD for extended periods of time posted her side effects on a thread once -- hair loss, bad breath, etc. I only did 1200/day for like 4 months. If you keep it up for long periods of time hair loss and other weird stuff does kick in.

I've done perfectly fine on 1200 for 8 months, as you can see by my pic my hair is something I'm NOT losing LOL However I DO eat back a portion of my exercise calories on workout days.
    But I do think a lot has to do with your body type...my BMR is barely 1300 because I'm small, sedentary and ahem old...well 33 but around here that feels old.
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    Im dealing with this right now with a painful disease I have. My body can't handle all of the food and instead "throws it out". So I spend my days sleeping, walking, and trying to eat. Not my problem, and I would never wish this upon anyone.

6 months ago I was running/jogging miles a day, doing great weight regimens, and eating about 1500 calories. I miss that. And I hope that I heal quickly. Because eating so little and being so exhausted all the time is NOT FUN!!!
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I see it as well and am disturbed by the under eating I see. It leads to yo-to
    Dieting but they start in a worse place because the have destroyed muscle. I figure if someone "friends" me
    On here then they are looking for support- support isn't always "wtg". Sometimes honesty is good too. I won't support what I don't agree with but I don't lecture either. I try to help where I can and to the best of my ability. It's all we can do.
  • chelbivandine
    chelbivandine Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that I net 800 calories a day at the most. I eat a lot and and I exercise a lot. The only type of eating disorder I have ever had in my life was eating too much. The way I eat I could see me eating like this everyday for the rest of my life. I dont think there is anything wrong with the way I eat and have talked to many nutrionists who aggree. It is not all about your calorie intake. It about vitamins, minerals, and healthy food you take in. I am in better health eating they way I am now than I have ever been and I have had my doctor tell me so.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Just because someone is morbidly obese and can carry a larger deficit, doesn't mean we should. I started at 320 pounds, and I know if I ate 1200 calories, or even 1500, the weight would fall of off me like crazy. I could probably reach my goal in a year or less eating that way. But I also doubt I would last a year eating that way. I even recently changed my goal to 1 pound a week rather than 2 to make it even more sustainable for myself. It'd be nice to lose weight fast, but I'm concentrating on my long term success, such as being able to keep my weight off forever.

If people want to net 400 calories, it does concern me, but there's not much I can do. The vast majority of them won't be able to sustain that diet, or will gain their weight back, or will develop medical problems from it. They will learn.