400 Net Calories for the Day: Scary Behavior

Options
15678911»

Replies

• tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    It scares me also. And even though MFP sets calories very low it will alos warn you when your numbers aren't adding up. But people still ignore that warning because the scale is moving and moving fast. They are only looking at the "right now" results and not looking at the long term effects of VLCD. People are so caught up in fast results when it the slow and steady that wins the race.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    I was on 1200 calories per day for most of my major weight loss, but I ate every single calorie, AND every single over-estimated exercise calorie. I would have fainted had I not, I think. I don't know how people do that shiz.

Yeah I just wonder about the long-term complications for people: low blood sugar, their body feeding off itself and reducing lean muscle mass, or else their teeth, hair and organs. I don't think people realize the net number is already built in with a weight loss.

A girl who was on a VLCD for extended periods of time posted her side effects on a thread once -- hair loss, bad breath, etc. I only did 1200/day for like 4 months. If you keep it up for long periods of time hair loss and other weird stuff does kick in.

I was on vlcd for years and as a result I now have heart problems I will live with for the rest of my life. Let them hit rock bottom. Until then it is pretty much like trying to argue with a brick wall. They think they are fooling their bodies but the body will take what it needs, be it from fat stores, muscle and even vital organs.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    Anddd some of us have genuine eating disorders. Just so you know, having a net above 300 kills me. Negative net makes me happy.

Honestly this is not the place for you. You need help to get over your food issues.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    WLS patients! We are not talking about you! Your bodies have been modified for lower calorie intake and you are under doctors supervision! Unfortunately their are a lot of naive people who will have to hit rock bottom before they listen.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    wtf why would we bring this old topic back
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,023 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that I net 800 calories a day at the most. I eat a lot and and I exercise a lot. The only type of eating disorder I have ever had in my life was eating too much. The way I eat I could see me eating like this everyday for the rest of my life. I dont think there is anything wrong with the way I eat and have talked to many nutrionists who aggree. It is not all about your calorie intake. It about vitamins, minerals, and healthy food you take in. I am in better health eating they way I am now than I have ever been and I have had my doctor tell me so.

Thanks for dragging up an old topic.

But, WTH??
    I dont think there is anything wrong with the way I eat and have talked to many nutrionists who aggree.

If the first nutritionist agreed with you, why did you need many more? I call BS. No nutritionist worth his or her salt would recommend this as healthy.

But thanks for playing.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that I net 800 calories a day at the most. I eat a lot and and I exercise a lot. The only type of eating disorder I have ever had in my life was eating too much. The way I eat I could see me eating like this everyday for the rest of my life. I dont think there is anything wrong with the way I eat and have talked to many nutrionists who aggree. It is not all about your calorie intake. It about vitamins, minerals, and healthy food you take in. I am in better health eating they way I am now than I have ever been and I have had my doctor tell me so.

Thanks for dragging up an old topic.

But, WTH??
    I dont think there is anything wrong with the way I eat and have talked to many nutrionists who aggree.

If the first nutritionist agreed with you, why did you need many more? I call BS. No nutritionist worth his or her salt would recommend this as healthy.

But thanks for playing.

I call bs as well. Been on MFP since July 2012 and you've only lost how much?? Yes, it's really working for you. :noway:
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    While I get where the OP is going, and agree, in the sense that vitamins/minerals/etc. will not be met, we ALL HAVE EXCESS FAT on our bodies. It's how human bodies work. You can eat, even at "negative net calories" and still get ENOUGH CALORIES because our bodies pull them from our fat stores (if you aren't already at scary low BF percentages!) That's why fat stores exist, as reserve for low calorie times. Now, this isn't necessarily a healthy way to live, it's for emergencies, and someone shouldn't be using this as a method on a long term basis. Again, the nutrition needs probably aren't being met, but you can't possibly know what other people do outside of what they log here. They could not be logging everything, they could not have accurate weight or exercise numbers entered, it could be a calculated short term thing. You just don't know.

ETA: I am NOT RECOMMENDING this approach I am merely stating that it isn't exactly as dire as the OP makes it sound, when it's (very) infrequent and/or accidental. Trying to live this way is NOT HEALTHY.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    .....and I wonder what kind of health problems they will develop later on because they deprived their body of the necessary energy and nutrients for so long. Bad teeth, brittle hair, organ complications; general weakness; lack of strength and energy to carry out basic tasks---the list could go on.

Worried about a lot of scary short-term thinking.

Exactly. Look up the physical side effects of anorexia. Even if not anorexia nervosa, ED-NOS can have a lot of the same things depending on what the person is doing. My gf was down to an unhealthy 80lbs (on a "big" day) at 5'1". She never technically was considered to have anorexia by the diagnostic criteria as her menses never stopped even though she was very sick, but her official diagnosis was ED-NOS. Even now, she has many, many long term health issues that stuck around afterwards. I have a friend who got down to about 65lbs at 5'2" and had a heart attack before age 21.

Long story, I choose not to give enouraging words to people who are consistently that low (and mostly will not keep them around), 'though I do have a friend here who *is* temporarily on a lower calorie diet under her hospital's, doctors, and dietician's supervision for reasons that are NOT weight loss. She sees them very regularly, and I'm comfortable with this myself.

I look at a friend's diary to give constructive comments, if I'm going to comment.

And yes, it is their health issue if they have an eating disorder, but the thing with community and friendship is concern for other's well being. Positive and negative.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    How do you guys even know what other people are doing? Monitoring friends or something? I waste a lot of time here but I can't imagine perusing diaries counting up 'net' calories and vegetable 'servings' and all the other things I see threads here about.

Really!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor and she said to aim for 1200 calories, even if I exercise. If I'm hungry, I eat, but I don't force myself to eat exercise calories just to do it. I trust her!
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    MY body has a WHOLE LOT of calories in my Bat wings and Belly rolls!!! It can sustain itself off of that.Fat is STORED to be USED when the body needs it...If I don't eat enough OR if I burn off the calories I ate today and My body needs MORE it will eat my FAT! That's the whole point...