wearing black nail polish in a corporate job inappropriate?

Options
Chika_2015
Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
I am just trying to get a feel of what you all think. I have an interview in 2 weeks with a corporate office. And a friends of mine mentioned that i should not forget to take off my black nail polish,. I looked at her and i was like, why should that matter?

Opninions...Thoughts!!!!

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with your friend, if you want to get the job.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I also agree with your friend.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I agree too..as a person who has hired a lot of folks in my life, black nail polish wont make my decision for me, but it would make me wonder if this person is a goth or emo.. and what kind of baggage is she bringing into my work invironment that I'm going to have to deal with later....
  • Kristen0526
    Kristen0526 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You want to look professional in your interview, so they get the best first impression possible. Afterwards, put the polish back on! I wear black and dark purple polish all the time, I just like the way it looks against my skin. But just a clear coat on your nails will make them look clean and classic, and that will def help with your *hopefully!!* new bosses. Good luck!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    agree
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree too..as a person who has hired a lot of folks in my life, black nail polish wont make my decision for me, but it would make me wonder if this person is a goth or emo.. and what kind of baggage is she bringing into my work invironment that I'm going to have to deal with later....

Yep! It never hurts to be a little more conservative, and a LITTLE dressier than what you might dress like if you actually worked there. I'd also avoid low cut blouses, "flip flop" type sandals, and too much jewelry.

If you are in a techy or very "artsy" field, the above may not apply...
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I would say yes remove it just for the interview. I don't think it's inappropriate once you have the job, but for the interview I would go with a clear polish. Good luck in your interview too!
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree. I would remove the black polish during the interview.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Switch the black for a vampy shade of red or even navy blue for your interview.
    Good luck. :)
  • AmberMahfouz
    AmberMahfouz Posts: 316
    Options
    I disagree, but they need to be professionally manicured. Not chipped, too long, and crappy looking. Black is fashionable and matches everything.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

I don't think that's what anyone's saying at all and it might not affect the outcome. But you asked for people's thoughts and opinions on the matter and most people would say yes black polish is a little much for an interview...if you want to wear it then of course that's your choice
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm in HR and do interviews for a living - for the purposes of the interview, definitely drop the black. Stay neutral, same with your makeup. Less is more. Too much makeup, drastic nail colors, even large earrings are distractions for the inteviewer and can be seen as unprofessional. Remember, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Once you get the job you can rock the black but it's not appropriate for interviews.

Good luck!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    nobody said life was fair and you hear it all the time, perception is reality.. sucks I know but when your in management and you have to clean up personnel issues with HR over and over again, you do tend to become a little jaded. You want to stand out from the crowd in a good way, bright and colorful makes an impact... dark and gloomy does to.. but not in a good way.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

anything you wear on your body or even how you wear it determines how people will perceive you, why would your nails be any different?

The young adult with multiple facial piercings might have 'all the qualifications in the world and a great personality' too but they probably wont get a corporate job, as the image the customers would have of that business would be at least partly based off the appearance of the personel there.

you do what you have to do to get the job, then can often do things a little differently when you get the job.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Agree. Unfortunately, hiring managers don't have the luxury of getting to know the "real you" and part of their job is to pick up on every tiny clue possible. Conservative appearance at a job interview is a relative societal norm, and if one doesn't show they can easily follow those norms (even around miniscule things) it sends the message that the person could potentially have some issues.
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wear dark purple all the time as well. A good friend of mine loves to wear wacky colors. She has been interviewing for jobs for the last 6+ months. She would paint them clear/nude/neutral. I would change them for the interview, but once you start I think it's fine to be yourself and wear what works for you.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    As a person with a nose piercing and multiple visible tattoos...take it off. It is what it is in the job world and if you want the job you will do what it takes to get it. I hid my tattoos when I had my interview and changed the stud in my nose to clear. Now my tatttoos show at work and I wear a green stud most days...unless I am traveling for work which happens four or five times a year, and I cover them all up and dress the part. If you cannot live with that, if you feel it is going to hinder your personal beliefs, then perhaps you will want to consider trying for other jobs. But I haven't been to an interview yet, or interviewed people to hire where the clothes and appearance didn't matter!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    It's about showing you are willing to do what it takes to get the job.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You want to look professional and all make-up, jewelry and clothing should be subtle and well put together.
    Black nail polish isn't necessarily going to give a "professional" type of impression.
    It is the same as when I was looking for a job. I always made sure all of my tattoo's were covered.
    For the interview you want to look like you will fit in and be a benefit to the company.
    After you get the job and get a feel for the work enviroment is when you start to put your personality back into wardrobe and body.