wearing black nail polish in a corporate job inappropriate?

Options

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I work with a bunch of 80 year old lawyers. It's very hard to have personality in that kind of environment.

I think that's why my gym stuff is so colorful and crazy!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I disagree, but they need to be professionally manicured. Not chipped, too long, and crappy looking. Black is fashionable and matches everything.

I'm with you -- the quality and maintenance of the manicure are more important than the color. And I'm in Corporate Minnesota.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Who says black nail polish can't be conservative and professional ??!!??
    As long as it doesn't look like it was put on by a 4 year old :laugh:

Rock it girl !!
    I guarantee it wouldn't be the nail polish that would be the deciding factor anyways ...
  • roch1972
    roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I work for an EVP at a major financial institution and my boss once said "Perception is everything." Lose the black nail polish.
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    WOw, didn't think this was going to get that much responce, but oh wow. Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice, i learned alot and i will check out some of the sites that was posted on interview tips and dress etc.

Thank Everyone.
    ~Chika
  • roch1972
    roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Now, you're smile will win them over for sure!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    So as a person who has done hiring before and helped people with interviews here's what I can offer

1. Everything should be neutral, use neutral coloored or just clear coat polish, it shows you care about your appearance but you don't have to worry about peoples perceptions on different colors, This goes with clothes too, Shoes color matches belt color, Whites, Taupe, black, and Neutral colors are a yes. Bright colors, loud patterns, the latest fashion, are all no. If it looks like you can wear it to a club or a night out, do not wear it to an interview, end of discussion.

2. Shoes, no high heels, flip flops, sneakers, sandals, or crocs (seriously, I refused to interview a guy who showed up in crocs once). Low heels, dress/conservative shoes, yes. Try to avoid open toe all together

3. Wearing a dress? Wear leggings, no I don't care what your excuse is, wear the damn leggings, sheer panty hose or black work best, seriously resist the urge to finally get those fishnets out of the back of your drawer.

4. Hair, conservative and neat, unless you are trying to be a nightclub manager whatever cool hairstyle you have doesn't matter so don't do it

5. As a person with tattoo's sleeved on my arms I will tell you it your tattoo's are visible you just cut your chance to get hired in half so cover them up. If you have neck, hand, or other blatent tattoos and you don't have a degree in graphic design just go apply at warehouse's, 7-11's, and hot topic now, that's your future, congrats on your dumbass placed tattoo.

6. Jewerly. Modest to none, Don't show up looking like Mr. T, period.

7.Facial piercings, take them out, end of discussion

8.perfume/calogne, little to none, different people get bothered by different smells, do not risk it! If you show up smelling like a *kitten* house or like you just dutch ovened yourself with a 12pack of axe body spray you can kiss that job goodbye.

9. Real communication. Yeah, uh huh, sure, yup, and other short dumb sounding responses need to go all together. Wait to speak, never interrupt.

There's a ton of other stuff but this will get you started

I would agree with all of this except the open toed shoes but only if they are classy looking. In my area open toed shoes in the summer is very popular. I also agree with covering up the tattoos. I have them and when I was interviewing they were always covered. My husband has his arms sleeved and works in the construction field and a lot of the times depending on who he is meeting he will cover them up with long sleeves because people will judge based on that stuff even if it isn't right.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    So as a person who has done hiring before and helped people with interviews here's what I can offer

1. Everything should be neutral, use neutral coloored or just clear coat polish, it shows you care about your appearance but you don't have to worry about peoples perceptions on different colors, This goes with clothes too, Shoes color matches belt color, Whites, Taupe, black, and Neutral colors are a yes. Bright colors, loud patterns, the latest fashion, are all no. If it looks like you can wear it to a club or a night out, do not wear it to an interview, end of discussion.

2. Shoes, no high heels, flip flops, sneakers, sandals, or crocs (seriously, I refused to interview a guy who showed up in crocs once). Low heels, dress/conservative shoes, yes. Try to avoid open toe all together

3. Wearing a dress? Wear leggings, no I don't care what your excuse is, wear the damn leggings, sheer panty hose or black work best, seriously resist the urge to finally get those fishnets out of the back of your drawer.

4. Hair, conservative and neat, unless you are trying to be a nightclub manager whatever cool hairstyle you have doesn't matter so don't do it

5. As a person with tattoo's sleeved on my arms I will tell you it your tattoo's are visible you just cut your chance to get hired in half so cover them up. If you have neck, hand, or other blatent tattoos and you don't have a degree in graphic design just go apply at warehouse's, 7-11's, and hot topic now, that's your future, congrats on your dumbass placed tattoo.

8.perfume/calogne, little to none, different people get bothered by different smells, do not risk it! If you show up smelling like a *kitten* house or like you just dutch ovened yourself with a 12pack of axe body spray you can kiss that job goodbye.

9. Real communication. Yeah, uh huh, sure, yup, and other short dumb sounding responses need to go all together. Wait to speak, never interrupt.

I have a degree in graphic design.. does this mean I can get that face tattoo I've been wanting?! :) I've never taken my nose stud out for an interview, and I currently work for the Department of Homeland Security. Just sayin.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I'm in HR and do interviews for a living - for the purposes of the interview, definitely drop the black. Stay neutral, same with your makeup. Less is more. Too much makeup, drastic nail colors, even large earrings are distractions for the inteviewer and can be seen as unprofessional. Remember, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Once you get the job you can rock the black but it's not appropriate for interviews.

Good luck!

^^Agreed.

I am an HR mgr as well, the above is correct!!!!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I have a degree in graphic design.. does this mean I can get that face tattoo I've been wanting?! :) I've never taken my nose stud out for an interview, and I currently work for the Department of Homeland Security. Just sayin.

The point people are trying to make is that some people who hire might be fine with black polish, nose rings, and tattoos but some might not be. Why take the chance. It is nail polish...take it off for the day and then put it back on. I work in the corporate world too but when I interviewed I covered my tattoos because I didn't want anyone to judge me based on them. Now I walk around in skirts and tops that show my tattoos and no one says a word about them.

Once you get the job do whatever you want but like someone else stated you don't get a second chance to make a 1st impression.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the professional dress has gone to hell in the workplace. I have seen professional staff wearing flip flops, jeans, mini skirts, and etc to work. Not appropriate IMO! Honestly, if you shouldn't be wearing it to meet your boss 1:1, you should not wear it in the office!
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Chika, it perhaps shouldn't matter but it does. I believe that you should remove your nail polish before the interview. Should you be hired and once you've proven your mettle, evaluate how conservative the "corporate" atmosphere is and proceed from there. Good luck!
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

Should the color of your nails play a role in whether or not you get the job? No, absolutely not. Will it? Yes, very much so.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Go for a clear coat for the interview and then rock the black polish once you get the job!

agree completely! i interview people all the time for my HR job and most of the time it does not matter at all what they are wearing as long as they can do the job. BUT it can make a difference between someone choosing you and someone choosing the person with the tights, the well groomed hair, and the clear nail polish.

all this junk about self expression is fantastic. but if you want to self express yourself so much that you can't tone it down for an interview, that's not the place you should be working. i have blue toenail polish and multiple tattoos, but i sure cover them up when i interview or if i need to look super professional at work. please don't think people will judge you, even if you are THE perfect person for the job. recruiters will talk about you. they'll talk about your smelly perfume or your weird hair or the fact that you talked about world of warcraft for fifteen minutes (yes, that's happened). black nail polish is the least of what i worry about, but if you want to be professional, i wouldn't wear it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'm in HR and do interviews for a living - for the purposes of the interview, definitely drop the black. Stay neutral, same with your makeup. Less is more. Too much makeup, drastic nail colors, even large earrings are distractions for the inteviewer and can be seen as unprofessional. Remember, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Once you get the job you can rock the black but it's not appropriate for interviews.

Good luck!

^^Agreed.

I am an HR mgr as well, the above is correct!!!!

Yes, HR people are 100% against personality, color, enthusiasm, individuality, creative thinking, personal expression and most importantly, any clue that you may have fun in your free time. Your attitude, resume, clothing and accessories must all be beige-ish (not too beige, dont want you getting all uppity and thinking youre more corporate than everyone else.)

If you want to be a drone, you better walk in there like the drone youre meant to be! (But dont walk too interestingly)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    there is no more intolerant bunch of judges than the HR army. I feel like watching Archer, now.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    welcome to the real world, people suck. Don't wear the black polish for the interview then when hired rock it and be like eat a ......
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Clearly US corporate is a different world from the one I inhabit. In my world, the HR person takes notes and advises on policy, while those of us who actually do the work make decisions about who gets the job...

Are you really suggesting that in companies where you 'work in HR', you get to make decisions about who's in and who's not?
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Clearly US corporate is a different world from the one I inhabit. In my world, the HR person takes notes and advises on policy, while those of us who actually do the work make decisions about who gets the job...

Are you really suggesting that in companies where you 'work in HR', you get to make decisions about who's in and who's not?

Off topic lol...but yes. I have worked at a few places where HR got the list of requirements, interviewed and hired the people. The acting managers didn't have much input or they worked together to do it. I think it is a very case-by-case basis in regards to what kind of corporate office you are walking into though. Each one is different.
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

i think they give the first opinion. and if it comes down to two people with equal qualifications, that first opinion counts.
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    well my iterview is august 1 and wilth all these great advice i am going to post a picture of my nails and the outfit that i wore, just to see what you all think. LOL

Thank again everyone
    ~Chika