wearing black nail polish in a corporate job inappropriate?

Options

Replies

• crazybigchick
    Options
    Basic job interview etiquette as it was explained to me, clear nail polish or pick a subtle TRADITIONAL color, low heals, pantyhose preferred, skirt that hits no higher than the middle of your knee, no cleavage, no visible tattoos or piercings, hair pulled up, small tasteful jewelry, only one pair of earrings, limit the number of rings to one finger on each hand, no perfume, and go easy on the eye liner and lipstick. Your goal is to look polished and put together. You never know who you are going to interview with so it is best to air on the side of being conservative. People will get to see you and hear what you have to say and what you have to offer without being distracted by nail polish.

I still leave in my nose ring, and I have had people make derogatory comments about it and my tattoos that aren't easily covered. It has never been an employer, just some clients and colleagues, but once you have the job their opinions matter big time!
  • Diyah13
    Diyah13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It depends. Is it just plain black? Is it chipped for wearing away? Or did you have some nail art done on them? If it's the last one, nail art, keep it on! If it's anything else, you might want to opt for a different "sedate" color.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Black polish would look so gorgeous with your skin tone. It's sad that you might have to take it off. Maybe try something a little more understated to begin with? Nudes are always style and metallics are just coming into season.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I understand where people are coming from and I know I'd probably just do a clear coat and then paint them back. But it's just horrible how something like the color your nails are painted can change someones view on you so quickly:(
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

I understand that it SHOULDN'T matter, but the reality is that people make judgements based on appearance all the time whether they realize it or not. I know it's frustrating, but, if you want the job, you're better safe than sorry. I'd take it off and spend the $20 or so to get a basic manicure with a clear coat just to make them look clean and trim.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with your friend, silly as it may seem. First impressions are huge!

What I am to look like when heading to an interview:
    Portland_Business-Network-Meeting.jpg
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    yeah, just take it off. Make your fashion-esqu statement AFTER you get hired! ;)
    As much as petty things like that shouldn't matter the reality is that they do :(

good luck!
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    I used to do the hiring for my old job and the only thing I would look at is if the nails looked freshly painted and well kept, I could care less about the color itself. But people are so different when it comes to what they look for in a first impression... you could still wear the black nail polish or play it safe and go neutral. It's all up to you and how you fell about it. Good luck on the interview :))
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention, best of luck, I'm rooting for you!! :)
  • SordidEuphemism
    Options
    I'm a shaggy, hairy guy with a shaggy, hairy beard and a shaggy, hairy head. I prefer it that way. However, when I interviewed, I trimmed the beard to a 1/4", trimmed the hair down, and given my propensity for curls in Florida weather, made sure it was sprayed in such a way that looked natural but didn't go all wild.

"Not a big deal," some would say. "A good haircut will help with an interview."

They're right. And so will cleaning up the nailpolish. And the piercings. And perfume. And jewelry. And so forth.

Is it about you? Yes. Keep it about you, and not your fashion choices, by eliminating those fashion choices for the interview.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm in HR and do interviews for a living - for the purposes of the interview, definitely drop the black. Stay neutral, same with your makeup. Less is more. Too much makeup, drastic nail colors, even large earrings are distractions for the inteviewer and can be seen as unprofessional. Remember, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Once you get the job you can rock the black but it's not appropriate for interviews.

Good luck!

^^^^^^ THIS
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yes no black nail polish. Nude if you must have a color. If not nicely manicured finer nails with a clear top coat.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    As a person with a nose piercing and multiple visible tattoos...take it off. It is what it is in the job world and if you want the job you will do what it takes to get it.

I disagree with this - The reason that I pierced my nose was because I was tired of people telling me who I was and who I was supposed to be. I continue to go to job interviews with a little stud in my nose. At one time, I would have changed it but they are so frequent now that it's no longer just a freak status symbol. If I have to change myself to be in a job then I'm not going to be happy there. And to makes things easier, I was an accountant and met with numerous corporate people every day. Unfortunately, things like piercings and dark nail polish have stigmas associated with them and they will always be something that will be a detriment to an interview. Instead of having to totally change yourself, think of the industry you're going into, if you have to compromise yourself too much for a job (and are you okay with doing so?), do you really want it in the first place?

Not sure I'd want to cut myself off this way if I really needed a job. I have a half sleeve tattoo, but I absolutely made sure my interview clothes did not show it. It hasn't compromised me at all; it got me in the door. I'd estimate that 30% of the people I work with have large tattoos, and it's fine to show them, but I definitely wouldn't have been hired if it had been on display during the interview.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the removal of black nail polish. Sad but corperate types are looking for someone who can play by their rules. I did see a very lovely use of black last week on Pinterest. Gloss black on top and red underneath. Very Christian Laboutaine. Sexy. Again not for an interview. Good luck! :flowerforyou: I have been looking for over a year and had 16 interviews with two in the next week, including one that includes a three day training in Washington, DC. I will be replacing my orange with clear or a French manicure.:sad:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    not professional
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::
    OK, pick up your jaw and just accept reality.
    The one thing you can never say again is that you weren't warned.
    Decide where you want to be in life.
    Success is always a choice.
    I wish you well!

I agree it seems so silly. In the profession I am working hard to get into it is all suits all the time. Now I am the girliest girl possible, why do I want to dress like a man? Why would wearing clothing that has color and accentuates my curvy figure detract from my effectiveness in the courtroom? smh It is just the way it is.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I don't think this is true in all environments. When I hire, I disregard personal appearance (as I am required to do by law). But if I did notice something quirky or interesting about someone's appearance, I certainly wouldn't see it as a negative.

I'm amazed so many people do see it as an issue.
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    take it off for interview, wear it once you get job
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

^^ Completely agree with this. The interviewer isn't doing a good job if they are more interested in what colour nail polish you're wearing
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    .So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW.

Yes...we all do it and the workplace is not necessarily a place where that goes out the window. Overweight people, older people, people with rings in their noses, tattoos that are very obvious...a lot of this stuff is observed by HR people. You want the job you have to decide of you can conform to their ideal. Or take the chance that the person who interviews you doesnt care.