wearing black nail polish in a corporate job inappropriate?

Options

Replies

• TISH27kidneytransplant
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

It sucks and it's wrong, but It's just the way the world works these days. specially when comes to getting a job! You have to look the part, for someone to want to give you the part. Qualifications matter alot, but if you come in looking like a goth or emo person, you gonna get passed over for the job. It's sad and very WRONG! but true.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. My mom's a manager at a real estate corporate office and has been for years. They don't look at that stuff. If anything the thing she always talks about is how a person is dressed, how their hair is styled, and even their body odor. Never...some damn nail polish...lol.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

If you want to be in the corporate world, then you have to play the image game too. Part of it. If you want to do your own thing, then be your own boss. It's your choice. In the corporate world part of the qualifications are having the corporate image that company desires. Some can be very conservative!

Exactly.

The color of our ties makes a difference. The color of our suits. Our hair. Perception is EVERYTHING.

And there is nothing inherently "wrong" with this. It is just human nature, we like people similar to our own selves, subconsciously. Sure you can go against the grain, just be prepared to for a tougher journey.
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    Well, my first thought was....why should it matter, but then I thought about the eight piercings in my ears and any time I went for an interview, I would tone down the earrings. Normally, I wear dangly ones, sometimes big and would always wear smaller ones for an interview. So....truthfully, I don't think it should matter. Keep us updated on what you do and when you start your new job! :)
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Honestly, it shouldn't matter, but it does. :) Just take it off, smile, and put on that show. haha. I don't mind interviews, but they will judge you on everything. Especially if they have a lot of candidates. They will say, this person was great, and so was this one.... but I don't know about the black nail polish, let's just go with the other. hahaha. I know it's a dumb example, but it is how it happens a lot of times. :)
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    I disagree, but they need to be professionally manicured. Not chipped, too long, and crappy looking. Black is fashionable and matches everything.

^^ This! I don't think the color matters at all. For all these people saying nude/light shades I'm sorry but if they're chipped and gross looking it's just as bad. As long as they are well kept and look professionally done darker shades are actually much more fashionable right now.
  • 30forApril
    30forApril Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would go as conservatively and professionally as possible to leave no room for the person (or people) conducting the interview to inappropriately judge you in any way. I know this sounds harsh, but people form initial impressions of who you are based on what you put in writing, what you say during your interview, AND what they SEE in you. While one person might interpret black nail polish as fun, creative and expressive; another person might interpret it as odd, cold, or as an indicator of a dark personality/lifestyle. You have no way of knowing where people are coming from, so I wouldn't leave room for anything to be taken the wrong way.

Another way you can approach it would be to wear the polish and intentionally use it as a prop to describe who you are. At some point you will be asked to give some information about character & personality. You could say something like, "I am fun and expressive. I like to think and do things that are creative. For example, you see my black nail polish. While some people might take it as dark... I see it as a way to show that I am interesting..."

Whatever you decide, best wishes and much success!

I think this is a great idea, and something like this might work depending on where you're applying to. I once got hired at a bank for grabbing the interviewers paper clip holder opening it and throwing them across his desk...lol.. I I had to sell something , anything and I chose that! I did a little mini infomercial and as soon as I was done, he had a huge smile and said when can you start? He said he had never had someone be so expressive and creative and would be honored to have me work with them! I don't think something like that would have gone over at my courthouse job..lol... but this answer is an awesome one if you choose to keep the black... If you do keep it, you should make sure and point it out to the interviewer before the interview is over. Good Luck!
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'd say wear a nude, pale pink, or clear polish for the interview, then rock the black when you get the job. I have a corporate job and I'm frequently wearing funky colored polish (black, glitter, green, leopard print, etc), but for the interview I wore a very pale pink. Conservative is the way to go - you want them to remember YOU, not your nails. Good luck with the interview!
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think the color on your nails should matter! If they judge you from the color on your nails they will judge you on everything else so therefore if you didn't get hired based on that your better off!! Besides I personally think depending on your outfit black polish would look good!

The point is, you never know what they will judge you on. Better to not give them something that might be an issue.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Oh and it is hilarious to me that everyone is saying black polish is goth and emo. Very classy ladies wear that polish too just look at Anna Wintour...powerful lady and always on trend!
  • ShakeyMD
    ShakeyMD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm in HR and do interviews for a living - for the purposes of the interview, definitely drop the black. Stay neutral, same with your makeup. Less is more. Too much makeup, drastic nail colors, even large earrings are distractions for the inteviewer and can be seen as unprofessional. Remember, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Once you get the job you can rock the black but it's not appropriate for interviews.

Good luck!

^^Agreed.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Your friend is right in that it can make it harder for you to get a job. Personally, if I can't get a job with the tattoos, nail polish, and hair color I love then I don't want that job. I would NOT tolerate working for someone who was so close-minded that they don't think I can do the job I'm over-qualified for just because of my physical appearance.
    ETA: That's not saying I won't dress appropriately, though
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    As a person with a nose piercing and multiple visible tattoos...take it off. It is what it is in the job world and if you want the job you will do what it takes to get it.

I disagree with this - The reason that I pierced my nose was because I was tired of people telling me who I was and who I was supposed to be. I continue to go to job interviews with a little stud in my nose. At one time, I would have changed it but they are so frequent now that it's no longer just a freak status symbol. If I have to change myself to be in a job then I'm not going to be happy there. And to makes things easier, I was an accountant and met with numerous corporate people every day. Unfortunately, things like piercings and dark nail polish have stigmas associated with them and they will always be something that will be a detriment to an interview. Instead of having to totally change yourself, think of the industry you're going into, if you have to compromise yourself too much for a job (and are you okay with doing so?), do you really want it in the first place?

That's what I said later in my post, should have been quoted as well. Are you okay with it to get a job? If you are great, if you aren't then maybe go for a different job where you can be "more you." I can be "me" with a clear nose ring in and my tats hidden or everything showing. It is a personal thing.
  • LadyChay
    LadyChay Posts: 6
    Options
    I am a supervisor who has done the interviewing and hiring. I also have let others do that while I simply receive the new employee. From my personal standpoint, I need to know that the incoming employee is able to conform to our office standards and fit in without issue. You will not know until you have the job, what type of atmosphere it will be. That is why so many of us are sharing this information with you. Anyone who is already making the statement that they will wear what they want - will not get the job because we already have learned by your appearance in the interview that you don't care and will more than likely be a problem child if we have a strict dress code. I personally don't like to have to tell someone after they have the job that our dress policy will not allow the flip flops they arrived in or the jean capri's with side pockets. I don't care if my employees wear dark polish or low cut blouses. But until you arrive, and see that the desk you will be sitting at is 2 feet lower than where the clients stand - you don't realize what a show you will be putting on. Those tattoos on your neck and hands - always go well with the clergy who visit this building and the super tight dress and 5 inch heels you felt so good in at your interview won't feel so hot after you see you have to do filing on a rolling ladder into 35 lb boxes. Good Luck!!!!
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I work in a very conservative environment.
    I have been responsible for interviewing and hiring. I would agree 100% to remove it for the interview.
    If you are this emotionally set on wearing it, maybe you should check company dress code policies before interviewing.
    If it is prohibited, would you really be able to deal with working there having to forgo the nail polish color you like?

I can tell you in my field- piercings, wild hair colors, facial hair, all of that is addressed in our policies. If I was interviewing a person who already was outside of the dress code, it would make a negative impression.
    Might not be the deciding factor, however if the choice was between someone who did not put forth the most professional image and a person who took the time to make sure they presented themselves in an appropriate manner for an interview and gave the impression that they would present the same image for the job itself, who would you think would be hired?

Just my opinion, and while I work in a conservative environment, it is not a corporate environment. Why take chances when there are so many people looking for jobs? They aren't going to tell you that it just came down to your nail polish. You just won't get it.

Just wanted to add- it is not being judged on the basis of the color of your nail polish, like other posters have said- shoe color, tie color, hose (or lack of) all adds to the general impression of a person. The best results usually come from looking well groomed, polished, and professional.
    There are many other things that throw up a red flag to me personally before piercings, tattoos, and nail polish would. Your interviewer is basing their impressions on their experiences, as does everyone.
    How is your interviewer going to be dressed/manicured/etc?
  • 30forApril
    30forApril Posts: 49 Member
    Options

That's life....Impression means more than anything else.

Think of it this way... two guys equal in hotness and you don't know this but they are total sweethearts, and everything your heart desires. They are both at your side trying to get your attention... one guy is wearing torn muddy jeans , shirt a little dirty and the other guy is wearing the really nice shirt, you can tell he's showered and looks really put together.. who would you talk to first...? Who would you think would be the better catch? It is what it is...
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For interviews, I always lean toward the side of being more conservative just because of the weight a first impression can carry. You never know how someone meeting you for the first time will judge you, no matter what your qualifications are or how you/your qualifications compare to others. I have visible tattoos on my arms, but during past interviews I was sure they were covered. They have never been a problem once in the job setting (public school teacher and legal office), but it's that initial impression that made me a little more conservative early on. Once you land the job, it always a little easier to let some of your personality out in your make-up or clothing, as long as it stays within reason of your company's dress code.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Jeez, it's not like you have blue hair that you will have to dye over.

It's nail polish. Take it off and go to the interview. It's not a big deal.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    for interviews no

for the job, yes. black polish is bold and smouldering in such a professional way. i wear it everyday once im employed. as long as it isn't chipped. bare nails for now. just so you avoid judgy judgertons like ur gal pals!
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Play it safe. :) Lose the black polish for the interview.

When I go for a job interview, I make sure I present the best appearance I possibly can to the largest number of personality types. Some HR people are conservative- some aren't. But- pleasing the most conservative people is your best bet, because the less conservative people will never be offended by that either- they see it as a gesture of respect and an indicator of how important the job is to you.