I hate the gym... (rantish)

Options
Why? I'll try and sum it all up in one word.... Goddesses...

Seriously these little seemingly perfect creatures who can run the whole 30 minutes on the treadmill without even breaking a sweat. They do not even need to take a break, then after they finish they take one sip of water.... I'm on the treadmill, dying after 10 with a stitch and being plain exhausted. After I stop I am pretty much downing the water in one go and I can see these 'perfect; creatures looking at me slyly.

Then they are on the resistance machines and make it look like they are working with pillows and not kg's. Once again not one drop of sweat appears anywhere on their body (well visible parts anyway). I'm there using every bit of strength I have left and have to quit eventually after my body has turned to jelly.

Then there is sports wear. I'm there in sweat pants and a t-shirt and they are wearing Lycra pants and little cropped tops showing of their 'flawless' bodies. I could poke them day after day with a stick and I doubt even a cm of their skin would wobble. Even in my forgiving loose pants I'm pretty sure my lumpy bits are visible for everyone to see.

I'll try and sum it up another way... Jealousy, I am so jealous! This makes me want to push myself harder.

Does anyone else feel this? And what effect did it take with you? I know it could have gone 2 ways for me

Either:
a) low self esteem and running straight out the door (then again by that time I doubt I could have ran anywhere else)
or
b) Aiming to better myself so one day I may be close to that.

Replies

• still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    why are you paying so much attention to other people at the gym? get in, get you some and gtfo.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    why are you paying so much attention to other people at the gym? get in, get you some and gtfo.

First time back in a long time and I was very nervous. Couldn't help but notice ha ha.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Aspire to a great body. You're 23 and you can easily make it happen!
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of girls at my gym that are like that as well. It doesn't matter what time of day I go they are THERE! Jesus, do they not have a life? They really need to get one! I REALLY hate the women who obviously shower and APPLY MAKEUP before the gym. Are you serious? Honey I'm lucky to wash my face before heading out the door in the morning to work out. I'm not there to impress and the women who are obviously there to do just that irrate the crap out of me.

Whatever, I feel sorry for them. They obviously have mental issues:huh:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't that be your goal? Be more fit...enough to run without feeling like you are dying? Or to be able to lift more? Or to wear workout clothes to show the body you work hard for?

Usually when I see someone like that, I think, "Dang, I want to be like her." That's how I feel about many of the fab ladies on my friends list.
  • Nfairley
    Nfairley Posts: 84
    Options
    I run around the track near my house. When the weather is nice, EVERYONE is there - including the "goddess" types you speak of. I can't help but feel a twinge of envy when they do laps around me while I struggle to keep moving for even 2 minutes (literally). There have been times when I didn't even bother trying to run another lap because the thought of being watched by them just humiliated me. It's even worse when there are athletes practicing - I know no one is paying me any mind but I just feel like I'm constantly being laughed at and judged! I refuse to quit though. Low self-esteem will not prevent me from reaching my goals.
  • Rukadare
    Rukadare Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of girls at my gym that are like that as well. It doesn't matter what time of day I go they are THERE! Jesus, do they not have a life? They really need to get one! I REALLY hate the women who obviously shower and APPLY MAKEUP before the gym. Are you serious? Honey I'm lucky to wash my face before heading out the door in the morning to work out. I'm not there to impress and the women who are obviously there to do just that irrate the crap out of me.

Whatever, I feel sorry for them. They obviously have mental issues:huh:

I see nothing wrong with them being proud of their bodies and their accomplishments. I don't think wearing makeup to the gym means that they have mental issues. That's so harsh. I wear makeup to the gym because I feel more comfortable that way. And I would totally wear the small tight shorts (maybe not the crop top) if I was as in shape as some ladies I've seen. The way I see it, they are comfortable in their own skin, and yes! They are flaunting it! But I think they've deserved the right to. Anyone who takes care of their body and accomplishes their goals should be proud, no matter if that person is someone who comes to the gym wearing makeup and short shorts, or someone who comes in wearing no makeup and old sweat pants.

I don't feel sorry for people at the gym. I feel proud of them! Because no matter what their motives may be or whatever, they are IN the gym and are taking care of their bodies!
  • DemOniC_PT
    DemOniC_PT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't mind the others, you are there for yourself and to better yourself, and with time you'll turn into "one of them"
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I love those girls. I look at them and smile because if they're here working out and I'm there working out then I *know* this is what works!

And tbh, if they're not struggling to lift their weights and run fast and not sweating, who's getting the better workout? Hmm?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest I've only seen girls like what you mention at magazine shoots. The girls I see in my gym are busting their *kitten* usually, even the ones who look amazing. There are a few exceptions but not enough to note.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Look to them for inspiration, they have more than likely worked their arses off to get where they are.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    It's okay to hate the gym, IMO. But the real effort is going to come in not letting other people and their actions affect you one way or another. Good luck with that. :flowerforyou:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm too busy working out to notice others. Remember not everyone woke up with the bodies or fitness level they have and some have come from rough beginnings too and worked their butts off to get there. Keep pushing yourself, you're doing great but judge a little less.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just do your own workouts, and aim to get stronger and more fit.

Don't worry about others, their amount of sweat, or outfits.

The fact you are chosing to focus on others makes you seem petty and B*tchy. I'm sure you are neither.
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You look like you have a great body in your profile picture, I doubt anyone can see your so called "lumps and bumps!" Relax, have fun, and get your workout in. And I'm just like you..I can be down right gross after just a half hour session compared to everyone else... But I ignore it! We all start somewhere!
  • chanty1234
    chanty1234 Posts: 56
    Options
    I hear you.... I see those girls at my gym all the time.. But ... It only makes me want to say ONE DAY that will be me...ONE DAY I too will be looking amazing when I work out and ONE DAY I too will be looked at like I look at them and admire them for their physical beauty.....

It makes me push harder and realize that my hard work will ONE DAY pay off.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Well from the point of view of one of those hated women in makeup and short shorts..I can tell you that for me, I'm just as insecure as anyone else. I spend a lot of time in the weight area and I hate the guys giving me weird looks. I wear makeup cuz sometimes I go directly after work. Most of the time I'm there at 5am with no makeup on. Yeah I wear tiny Lululemon shorts because I hate crop pants and regular cotton stuff gets soaked.
    I'm downing a gallon of water it seems and I dunno why I don't sweat much....not my face anyway, my shirt get soaked. It really sucks when I feel bad in the weight area cuz of the guys and cuz I know the women up in cardio are giving me dirty looks.
  • riverabeth
    riverabeth Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used to be very envious of the "goddesses". It made me a little self conscious & I felt huge compared to all these beautiful women in group classes, but I know that going to the gym (just like me) is how they stay looking that way. To be honest, I picture them as once former fatties who had to work just as hard as me to achieve success. At least thats the little story I tell myself so I actually believe that my goals are possible :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    i'm the one you'll see out on a side walk running in just my sports bra and shorts.. or in the gym wearing tight clothes.

Sorry but I worked damn hard for my body and am proud of it.. but let me tell you, I def. sweat and I drink a ton of water as I workout.

I wouldn't look like this if I just sat around and complained about other people on an internet forum... I actually got out there and did something about it.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    so...all i got from this is you're wasting your gym membership because you don't lift weights.