I hate the gym... (rantish)

Options

Replies

• haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    you seem to have a great body, so don't worry! i sometimes see this at my gym too! i couldn't help but look over once at this woman who had been on the treadmill for 30 mins and burned 350+ cals. i was like whaaaaat.

i run in shorts now. i don't care that i wobble. they can all sod off if they want to judge! When i finish my workout, i'm actually soaked in sweat!

just get in there and do your thing :)
  • redchyld
    redchyld Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with cajun. I read through your post (completely) and didn't even get the vibe that you were trying to bash them. In some posts online, tone can be misconstrued, but yours didn't come off as negative in the least bit. You addressed your own personal problem, and it was refreshing for you to leave the post open with a question to engage others in how they feel - not to focus on the people they watch.

So hey, I'll give your thread my first official post on MFP and say I used to feel the same way. Even though I'm still heavy, I'd dread going in because I'd think people were looking at me (heck, I didn't even like people looking at me outside of the gym!) But I realized that I have to do it for me, and think about what I'm going to get out of my time. So I trail off into lala land! It distracts me from the other people, and makes the workout go faster, too.

Hang in there, chicka. You look like you have a great body so far, and could probably flaunt it just like them. But everyone views themselves differently. ;D Keep up the good work, and don't let short-sighted people on the net deter you.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Danbi89, you're fine. You clearly explained yourself. People don't read all the comments and just can't wait to voice their opinion about something that has been addressed and cleared up.

Like me!

And people like to argue, nothing to do with you if we do it on a thread you started
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You are quite gorgeous yourself.

This post made me laugh......and yes, I hate it when I have tons of sweat dripping from everywhere and the girl next to me who has been on the elliptical just as long hasn't dripped 1 single drop of sweat lol. BUT, that being said......we can't focus on others.....try to focus on your workout. You'll be one of those girls one day. :flowerforyou:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you, go with it! If the envy distracts you or really makes you hate the gym, change gyms.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You are quite gorgeous yourself.

This post made me laugh......and yes, I hate it when I have tons of sweat dripping from everywhere and the girl next to me who has been on the elliptical just as long isn't dripped once lol. BUT, that being said......we can't focus on others.....try to focus on your workout. You'll be one of those girls one day. :flowerforyou:

Thanks =) I know what you mean and hopefully after I've been a few times I can just relax. It's feeling like the first day of school right now =/
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Danbi89, you're fine. You clearly explained yourself. People don't read all the comments and just can't wait to voice their opinion about something that has been addressed and cleared up.

Like me!

And people like to argue, nothing to do with you if we do it on a thread you started

I just hate controversy and feel bad if I start it then get all defensive, it was just meant to be 'rant' more so on my silly little feelings.
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym too - but for different reasons. I think they are the nastiest, most unhygienic places - and I used to work in one. I could tell you stories ... ewwww! I much rather take a class than get on some used pre-sweated dirty machine that someone just sat on. Okay - so I may have issues.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    I am going to say now since this has been taken totally out of context, and I am genuinly sorry about that but:

1) I am not slating these girls! Far from it! I envy them for the effort they have put in and the results they have achieved. I would never seriously b*tch about someone for looking good and being confident.
    2) I do lift weights in the comfort of my own home and would rather not do it in the gym since it seems to be a very male dominated area of the gym. (Though I don't know how wasting a gym membership came into this topic when I'm pretty sure your not watching me to know exactly what I am doing anyway.
    3) I am not sitting there staring at these girls. I am on a treadmill with a girl next to me I could see in the corner of my eye just happily running away. When I got off I had to get on a bike which meant I could see her. I was not staring at her and this leads to 4.
    4) I have very low self esteem so yes, in some ways I do compare myself to others.

I didn't mean this to seem like I was slating these girls in anyway, was more a first gym feeling experience and wondering had it put people off or had it pushed them =(

you don't need to explain yourself!

i know how you feel about weights. in my gym, my partner hates this as well, all these really skinny guys are "working out". they just rush with the weights and they won't build anything. i just laugh at that. but it's not fair on the guys, like my partner, that actually have a great body and want to use the machines properly. that annoys me most. and they all go together in a group. the gym is not a place to have mothers meetings!

i have low self esteem too, but please you have no reason to! x
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    I hate the gym too - but for different reasons. I think they are the nastiest, most unhygienic places - and I used to work in one. I could tell you stories ... ewwww! I much rather take a class than get on some used pre-sweated dirty machine that someone just sat on. Okay - so I may have issues.

I can imagine it's a little unhygienic, but I never realised it was that bad =/ what kind of stories?
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I did admit at the end it was pure jealousy. I'm not going to be nasty about them, they work hard to get like that and I should too. I can't help noticing during my first few visits when I'm looking around wondering if I'm doing things right, and I hope to be like that one day.

Just activate your chair mode and stay away from barrels
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    I did admit at the end it was pure jealousy. I'm not going to be nasty about them, they work hard to get like that and I should too. I can't help noticing during my first few visits when I'm looking around wondering if I'm doing things right, and I hope to be like that one day.

I LOVE YOU!!!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

I LOVE YOU!!!

Bro fist!!!!! :]
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I feel good about myself when I'm at the gym - even tho I'm 252 lbs ! I tune-out others and focus on my exercise. I am stronger than all the women, except one-maybe and stronger than lots of the men (!) I admire the young girls on the treadmill ....they remind me of Golden Retrievers running loose in the park. Free and easy. Maybe it's easier not to get jealous because I'm older.

You can make good use of your "negative" emotions. Use them to your purposes !
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    You need to think about it in a different way! I'm 359 pounds and I love the gym!! I did used to feel like you a few years ago but now I am more determined than ever to change my life that I don't care.

Sure sometimes I feel embarrassed, but I just remember why I'm there and get on with it. Other people are not spending the whole time looking at you they are concentrating on their workout and their goals.

When I first started going I couldn't manage more than a couple of minutes on the cross trainer id be sweating, panting and sometimes even crying! - I'm being completely serious!!!!!!! I'm still unfit BUT I am improving loads.. I did 30mins on the cross trainer the other day and I literally cried with happiness.. some of the people that go to my gym ARE INSANELY FIT and would make my 30mins look like a walk in the park.. but who cares what they think or what they can do?? I'm there for my benefit.

I completely understand how you feel but you just need to change your mindset. and remember that if you let these thoughts overcome you then you'll stop going and then what???

When I see regular gym goers in my gym..I think "you wait till they see me when ive lost all this weight!" Some people have even spoken to me and encouraged me.

KEEP GOING!!!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options

You can make good use of your "negative" emotions. Use them to your purposes !

Hoping to. I know one day I can get close to there.
  • LewisMrsType
    Options
    I thought I was going to feel that way, but I don't look at them. I figure now that they worked hard and weren't born fit, just like me. If I watch people I choose to look at the 80-year-old lady who was on the stairmaster for 45 minutes today and had nicer legs than me! I look at the people that are working hard to make changes in their lives, not the people that have already "succeeded".
  • mchristians
    Options
    I find your post hilarious :laugh: ! I feel the same way! Then I think to myself.........do I really want all of the attention that they probably get? Not really. I would like someone to just simply say to me,.......you look nice today, instead of being eye candy for someone else. I workout everyday at home, because I was distracted by some of the people who were coming in and out of the gym. I use people like those girls as motivation. Do I really think I will ever be one of those girls.......no. I am okay with that. I really hate working out, but feel amazing when I am done. Every article of clothing that I am wearing is soaked when I am done. I have come to terms with this, I will not look like a beauty queen, or try to be one. I have spent most of my life being the chubby girl and wishing for something I knew would never happen. Some people are just blessed with great bodies, and some of us have to work at it. Again I am ok with that, however I am making a life style change for me not a quick fix, something I can manage for the rest of my life. I try not to make goals that are to far of a reach for me. I take baby steps everyday. I do mess up from time to time, but that is just me, trying to realistic. Keep a postive mind frame and you will be successful! Keep working hard and do it for you!!:flowerforyou:
  • mtaylor1980
    mtaylor1980 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I totally got what you were saying! It even made me laugh (in a good way!) These idiots just like to attack at any chance that they get! I guess they don't understand your post, and right away they get on their "fitness high horse". I feel the same way that you do!!!!! I see girls on their 5th mile, without a drop of sweat, and here I am soaking wet, ready to die, and all haggard. Oh, and before anyone attacks me and tells me that maybe one day I can be as fit as them, I am in pretty good shape..I have muscle, I lift weights, I run, do circuit training, etc but I will always be a sea hag in the gym. Nothing will ever change that. I know what she means about seeing these perfect girls who look great after a 6 mile run...it was supposed to be humorous. She wasn't really attacking these women, or hating on them!

I don't get jealous...well maybe jealous that I can't be dry, but nothing will ever change that. I can run as far as they do...I just look like hell doing it ;-)
    I am going to say now since this has been taken totally out of context, and I am genuinly sorry about that but:

1) I am not slating these girls! Far from it! I envy them for the effort they have put in and the results they have achieved. I would never seriously b*tch about someone for looking good and being confident.
    2) I do lift weights in the comfort of my own home and would rather not do it in the gym since it seems to be a very male dominated area of the gym. (Though I don't know how wasting a gym membership came into this topic when I'm pretty sure your not watching me to know exactly what I am doing anyway.
    3) I am not sitting there staring at these girls. I am on a treadmill with a girl next to me I could see in the corner of my eye just happily running away. When I got off I had to get on a bike which meant I could see her. I was not staring at her and this leads to 4.
    4) I have very low self esteem so yes, in some ways I do compare myself to others.

I didn't mean this to seem like I was slating these girls in anyway, was more a first gym feeling experience and wondering had it put people off or had it pushed them =(
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    I know deep down they aren't thinking bad things about me or anything like that (well most. I don't think the look she gave me was nasty) I also saw a girl getting an induction who was bigger than me and all I thought was, you go girl!