Replies

• di2losew8
    di2losew8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Got a suggestion I'll probably incorporate.

So the section on using your known HRM workout calories - those include what would have been burned during that time even without a workout, so some double counting on some calories.

So I'm thinking of way to allow you to put in the time of the workout during the week and not just calories, it'll see what the base burn for that time would have been anyway, and have a more correct weekly burn, and therefore daily avg.

Because that could be anywhere from 400-1000 extra calories a week from that doubling up. Might as well go for max deficit and weight loss while being on safer side of things.
  • heybales
    Options

So the section on using your known HRM workout calories - those include what would have been burned during that time even without a workout, so some double counting on some calories.

So I'm thinking of way to allow you to put in the time of the workout during the week and not just calories, it'll see what the base burn for that time would have been anyway, and have a more correct weekly burn, and therefore daily avg.

Because that could be anywhere from 400-1000 extra calories a week from that doubling up. Might as well go for max deficit and weight loss while being on safer side of things.

Ok, spreadsheet has been updated on the BMR/TDEE tab.

As I mentioned above, if you enter in HRM burn calories, and minutes of exercise, the burn calories are reduced by the amount of calories that would have been assumed had you not worked out.

In other words, no doubling of the the base calories you were going to burn already.
    Might say, NET exercise calories, not GROSS.

Which only matters on weight loss program and calorie counting.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank you!
  • tokens101
    tokens101 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I may not be understanding this correctly, but I put my stats in (18, f, 65 inches, 110lbs) and my BMR came up at around 800. Even with extreme exercise my daily caloric needs were 1600? When I was two pounds heavier (so practically no difference) I could maintain my weight with 5 days moderate exercise and 2000 calories...have I read it wrong?
  • heybales
    Options
    I may not be understanding this correctly, but I put my stats in (18, f, 65 inches, 110lbs) and my BMR came up at around 800. Even with extreme exercise my daily caloric needs were 1600? When I was two pounds heavier (so practically no difference) I could maintain my weight with 5 days moderate exercise and 2000 calories...have I read it wrong?

Well, you read correctly, but you left stat in there for bodyfat% from the example woman.

Your weight at 55% BF you'd have BMR of 855.

If you don't know BF%, then BMR is 1280, and that is probably correct at goal weight.

Delete that BF% stat, and everything changes, and indeed, 3-5 days activity level is 1984.

Same TDEE calc as you would find almost anywhere.

May have limited use at goal weight though. Not weight gain built into it at all. Though the Macro tab may be useful if trying to increase muscle now.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options

Oooh a new toy :love:

Heading off to update my copy now. Thanks for the continuous improvements
  • heybales
    Options
    Updated spreadsheet yet again!

My own and another experience made me do what I knew should have been in there.

On the BMR/TDEE tab, next to the BMR section, is section on RMR.

Estimate given if you know your bodyfat% - because decent estimate of RMR is based on amount of LBM.

But even better, if you had your RMR measured by gas analysis, and you see it's not suppressed (which it could be, in which case don't make it worse by taking deficit off of it) - you can see what your better estimated BMR must be, and what your bodyfat% might be that supports that level of energy burn.

End result is, if you know your tested RMR, enter it, you'll be told likely BF% for having that RMR, enter that BF% in your stats, and now all the calcs for BMR and TDEE are based on your measured value.

So if you have a BMR/RMR better than calc would give, might as well support it, if indeed slower, than less.

And why might it be slower besides suppressed because of undereating?

You are very aerobically fit, and your body is very efficient, and it just doesn't burn much at rest.

I'd suggest if your resting HR in the morning is below 55, that's a good chance to be true.
  • munty76
    munty76 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi Heybales. I wanted to thank you for all the work you have put into this. its very much appreciated. I was wondering you would be able to verify my numbers so i can make sure im doing the right thing.

Im doing the insanity work out program and have been using a hrm.

G: Male
    Age 35
    C. weight 143.3
    G weight ? 125?
    C body fat % 24.8 ( estimate based on waist (36") / neck 15" measurements )
    lmb 107.8

I changed my hrm setting to 141.2cm for height and as iv noticed my HR getting up to 185 during workouts iv upped this to 192 on the hrm. I also take the calories my hrm shows me and minus my estimated rmr for that period... i.e 30 min work out = 430 calories but i log 400 calories as 30 is what i would have used up anyway.

Using the first tab on the spreadsheet iv entered my calories burnt for each day to work out my tdee which comes to 2055

Ok - to lose weight i knock 500 cals off this figure ( 1553) and eat back any exercise calories.... so i end up eating about 2000 calories with 500 coming off it each day to get to my target of 1553.

So in the mfp tweak tab the idea is to get my target calories close to 1553 so i set it to sedentary and goal to 1/2 weight loss which gives me a target of 1590.

So to sum up I eat anywhere from 1590 to 2000 depending on how much exercise i do so that my net calories is 1590. and i minus my rmr calories from any figure my hrm gives me.

Is the the right way to do it??

really appreciate your help.

Munty
  • rtwinrn06
    rtwinrn06 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump. thx.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Brilliant - Thank you
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • heybales
    Options

Age 35
    C. weight 143.3
    G weight ? 125?
    lmb 107.8

I changed my hrm setting to 141.2cm for height and as iv noticed my HR getting up to 185 during workouts iv upped this to 192 on the hrm. I also take the calories my hrm shows me and minus my estimated rmr for that period... i.e 30 min work out = 430 calories but i log 400 calories as 30 is what i would have used up anyway.

Using the first tab on the spreadsheet iv entered my calories burnt for each day to work out my tdee which comes to 2055

Ok - to lose weight i knock 500 cals off this figure ( 1553) and eat back any exercise calories.... so i end up eating about 2000 calories with 500 coming off it each day to get to my target of 1553.

So in the mfp tweak tab the idea is to get my target calories close to 1553 so i set it to sedentary and goal to 1/2 weight loss which gives me a target of 1590.

So to sum up I eat anywhere from 1590 to 2000 depending on how much exercise i do so that my net calories is 1590. and i minus my rmr calories from any figure my hrm gives me.

Munty

Excellent job.

One correction to method with the HRM calorie burns. If you have gotten the spreadsheet since I think 8/15, that section where you enter in known workout HRM burns, the time of workouts is new, and already subtracts out the BMR calories for what you would be doing anyway.
    You'll see the difference if you have no time entered compared to if you have time entered.

It also sounds like you are combining methods.
    If using the BMR/TDEE tab, you don't eat back exercise calories because it's already in the TDEE.
    If using the MFP tweak tab, you do eat them back because workouts are infrequent or too iffy to nail down.

Plus with being so close to goal, too big a deficit with this type of workout could have bad performance gains.

I'd suggest that if the workouts are more regular than not, use the TDEE deficit method.
    So TDEE of 2055.
    15% deficit is 1747 everyday, workout or not. Log your workouts as 1 calorie, or after eating your last food and hitting goal you can log full calorie burn workout since it'll mess up the daily goal.

And frankly, for Insanity, you'll need it, because it is a big carb burner, and if you aren't getting those replenished before the next workout, you risk after several days burning through stored carbs, and now muscle will be broken down to convert to glucose.

So that may not seem like much, but I'll bet your real TDEE is higher than Sedentary + your workouts. Most people wearing the FitBit's and BodyMediaFit's discovery they are actually at Lightly Active or more. That would make your TDEE closer to 2190.

Now, what you do remember with eating 1750 every day is, if you planned on 5 workouts a week, and you miss a workout, skip a 250 calorie snack that day. If you end up making it up, eat another 250 that makeup day. If you add on another workout day, add another 250 cal snack. Because you are spreading the workout calories over the week, and also the eating goal, for balance.

If the workouts are truly really iffy and irregular, and you want to just eat back exercise calories when you get them, then don't adjust them, because you need that minor buffer.
    Use the MFP Tweak tab and the RMR figure based on BF%. 1575.
    Set MFP to Very Active and 1lb goal, and eat back total HRM calories when you actually do the workout.
    Would also suggest, if you do evening workout, you may not feel like eating the whole amount back that night - allow breakfast to help make that up too.
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • munty76
    munty76 Posts: 47
    Options

Age 35
    C. weight 143.3
    G weight ? 125?
    lmb 107.8

Munty

Excellent job.

One correction to method with the HRM calorie burns. If you have gotten the spreadsheet since I think 8/15, that section where you enter in known workout HRM burns, the time of workouts is new, and already subtracts out the BMR calories for what you would be doing anyway.
    You'll see the difference if you have no time entered compared to if you have time entered.

It also sounds like you are combining methods.
    If using the BMR/TDEE tab, you don't eat back exercise calories because it's already in the TDEE.
    If using the MFP tweak tab, you do eat them back because workouts are infrequent or too iffy to nail down.

Plus with being so close to goal, too big a deficit with this type of workout could have bad performance gains.

I'd suggest that if the workouts are more regular than not, use the TDEE deficit method.
    So TDEE of 2055.
    15% deficit is 1747 everyday, workout or not. Log your workouts as 1 calorie, or after eating your last food and hitting goal you can log full calorie burn workout since it'll mess up the daily goal.

And frankly, for Insanity, you'll need it, because it is a big carb burner, and if you aren't getting those replenished before the next workout, you risk after several days burning through stored carbs, and now muscle will be broken down to convert to glucose.

So that may not seem like much, but I'll bet your real TDEE is higher than Sedentary + your workouts. Most people wearing the FitBit's and BodyMediaFit's discovery they are actually at Lightly Active or more. That would make your TDEE closer to 2190.

Now, what you do remember with eating 1750 every day is, if you planned on 5 workouts a week, and you miss a workout, skip a 250 calorie snack that day. If you end up making it up, eat another 250 that makeup day. If you add on another workout day, add another 250 cal snack. Because you are spreading the workout calories over the week, and also the eating goal, for balance.

If the workouts are truly really iffy and irregular, and you want to just eat back exercise calories when you get them, then don't adjust them, because you need that minor buffer.
    Use the MFP Tweak tab and the RMR figure based on BF%. 1575.
    Set MFP to Very Active and 1lb goal, and eat back total HRM calories when you actually do the workout.
    Would also suggest, if you do evening workout, you may not feel like eating the whole amount back that night - allow breakfast to help make that up too.

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I totallyoverlooked the work out mins column in the spreadsheet. Also i was combining both methods ( oops)

iv recalculated by figures as iv put on 1kg since and using the tdee tab it works out to a higher tdee. I was truggling with concept of eating back or not etc , but i thnk iv grapsed it now.

Basically dont eat exercise back! and dont add more than 15% deficit if doing insanity.

Thanks again for taking the time explain.
  • njohn1967m
    njohn1967m Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • brittryan1017
    Options
    bump
This discussion has been closed.