guns or no guns?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Thought here: we now have lasers that are used for targeting. Eventually lazers (don't laugh) will eventually be used as an "arm". Lasers will be able to cut off an arm or decapitate. When it comes to that and the lazer is in the form of a gun, will the NRA still support the right to bear arms?
    I'm just wondering where do we draw the line when it comes to actual "arms"?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Wait, have we defined "assault rifle" yet? I'm just curious if we've yet established that the term carries pretty much no meaning, except for gun-grabbing politicians who use it to try to convince people that if a gun LOOKS like a military-grade weapon, it doesn't belong in the hands of a civilian.

A true "Assault rifle", is a fully automatic machine gun used for supressive fire.

The politician term "assault rifle" describes a subset of features on a rifle that are "scary" looking that in no way affect the speed at which you can kill someone
  • StephanieDJL
    StephanieDJL Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    To answer the initial question, no guns.

Unless you're in the special forces/police or a farmer/hunter.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    No, I have not fired a pistol. I have never fired any type of gun, and I don't plan on doing it.
    Sorry, I tend to skip steps when explaining my thoughts. I was first talking about assault rifles and then about automatic weapons, which I assume that you should know the difference between, since you are so passionate about firearms. I'm aware that they're not the same.
    I don't respect guns. Guns are pieces of metal. I don't respect a screw or a hammer, so I'm not going to respect a gun. I don't necessarily respect people who own guns. I respect people who are respectable and own guns. I respect law enforcement officers, shooters, and at least half of the hunters I know.
    Okay, then use a rifle for hunting. Why do you need an AR-15 or something of the type to hunt deer?
    Before I said my grandmother was a ditz, what made you assume that she shouldn't be allowed in the area?
    I've never even seen Rambo, so I don't know how I would have a "Rambo vision", or how you assume that that is my thought. Because it's not. I'm aware that life is not some crazy movie.

Clearly I know the difference between an assault rifle and a fully automatic firearm, I had to explain the difference to you...

So you don't respect a tool that could end your life.... Hmmmm
    AR-15s are good for hog hunting as well as home defense. What exactly makes you so scared of assault rifles? My hunting rifle shoots a way larger round than the .223/556 an AR-15 would shoot. So if it's the size of the caliber that logic wouldn't make sense. So can you please explain that to me because I honestly want to know.

I assumed that your grandmother shouldn't be anywhere near your grandfather while hunting because he almost shot her, that should explain enough honestly.

I'm also assuming that "Rambo vision" is your way of thinking because you seem to think that we're picking off burglars from a quarter mile down the road since apparently we aren't manly enough to get up close and person and stab someone causing a very slow and painful death. Atleast my way of ending his/her life would be quick, you'd rather them suffer...
    A hammer could end my life. A screw could end my life. A damn peanut could end my life.
    I'm not scared of assault rifles in particular. I just don't understand the necessity. You say the AR-15 is good for hog hunting. Is there no other weapon as effective in hog hunting as a semi-automatic?
    I'm more freaked out by the rpm, if anything. I don't see why you need a weapon that can fire one bullet per second or more. Is something charging you that quickly and has such strong skin that it can't be taken out with something that fires slower?
    I'm not saying that you're picking them off from a quarter mile down the road. But you have the possibility to. I don't see why you feel the need to have that much power.
    You can kill somebody quickly with a knife, just like you can kill somebody slowly with a gun. It's all dependent on aim and knowledge.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'll illustrate for the uninformed because I still am not grasping this idea that "assault rifles" are more or less unnecessary than other kinds of weapons.

This is a semi-automatic rifle:

640_Mini_027.jpg_Dennis_4_Tactical.jpg

This is an identical semi-automatic rifle:

RugerMini14AWbig.jpg

They both fire the same round. They both have the same magazine capacity, same custom options, etc. They are equally lethal. But one LOOKS scary, so let's call it an assault rifle, pee our pants, and demand that it be outlawed. Right?
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @historygirldd - Thank you! Great post.

This is obviously a controversial topic. Pro-gunners are not likely to convert anti- gunners and vice versa. In some cases in this thread, people are trying to reason with others who are clearly not reasonable. How well is that working? Don't feed the trolls.

Why don't we just agree to disagree? Let's stop trying to take guns out of the hands of people who are legally entitled to own them. If you don't want to have a gun, don't buy one. Simple as that. We don't need people imposing their will on the rest of us because you don't share our views. If you aren't breaking into our homes or assaulting us with intent to cause death or great bodily harm, you have nothing to fear from us. On the other hand...
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Okay. I am a hunter.

Anyone else want to be a hunter?
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    No, I have not fired a pistol. I have never fired any type of gun, and I don't plan on doing it.
    Sorry, I tend to skip steps when explaining my thoughts. I was first talking about assault rifles and then about automatic weapons, which I assume that you should know the difference between, since you are so passionate about firearms. I'm aware that they're not the same.
    I don't respect guns. Guns are pieces of metal. I don't respect a screw or a hammer, so I'm not going to respect a gun. I don't necessarily respect people who own guns. I respect people who are respectable and own guns. I respect law enforcement officers, shooters, and at least half of the hunters I know.
    Okay, then use a rifle for hunting. Why do you need an AR-15 or something of the type to hunt deer?
    Before I said my grandmother was a ditz, what made you assume that she shouldn't be allowed in the area?
    I've never even seen Rambo, so I don't know how I would have a "Rambo vision", or how you assume that that is my thought. Because it's not. I'm aware that life is not some crazy movie.

Clearly I know the difference between an assault rifle and a fully automatic firearm, I had to explain the difference to you...

AR-15s are good for hog hunting as well as home defense. What exactly makes you so scared of assault rifles? My hunting rifle shoots a way larger round than the .223/556 an AR-15 would shoot. So if it's the size of the caliber that logic wouldn't make sense. So can you please explain that to me because I honestly want to know.

I assumed that your grandmother shouldn't be anywhere near your grandfather while hunting because he almost shot her, that should explain enough honestly.

I'm also assuming that "Rambo vision" is your way of thinking because you seem to think that we're picking off burglars from a quarter mile down the road since apparently we aren't manly enough to get up close and person and stab someone causing a very slow and painful death. Atleast my way of ending his/her life would be quick, you'd rather them suffer...
    A hammer could end my life. A screw could end my life. A damn peanut could end my life.
    I'm not scared of assault rifles in particular. I just don't understand the necessity. You say the AR-15 is good for hog hunting. Is there no other weapon as effective in hog hunting as a semi-automatic?
    I'm more freaked out by the rpm, if anything. I don't see why you need a weapon that can fire one bullet per second or more. Is something charging you that quickly and has such strong skin that it can't be taken out with something that fires slower?
    I'm not saying that you're picking them off from a quarter mile down the road. But you have the possibility to. I don't see why you feel the need to have that much power.
    You can kill somebody quickly with a knife, just like you can kill somebody slowly with a gun. It's all dependent on aim and knowledge.

Lets see....Oswald used a bolt action rifle...3 shots in 5 seconds....
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Okay I think that's where we are getting confusion, you're talking about the literal definition of assault rifle and I'm talking about the semi automatic assault rifles that owners have. Since fully automatic firearms are near impossible to own.

I don't think there's a necessary need for fully automatic firearms, for fun if anything. A semi automatic gun would do the job just fine, just at a slower rate obviously.

You need to be a little more realistic with your thinking though honestly. Yes you can shoot someone from 400 meters away with a gun, but do you even understand how inaccurate people are from just 5 feet away? Then you people someone a quarter mile down the road and you think they're going to hit their target? That's just not realistic. Also if you're up close with a knife there's going to be a struggle which will result in you getting slashed and who ever gets killed dying slowly from numerous wounds. The likely hood of you playing ninja and sneaking up on someone isn't as great as you'd think.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

I can fire off 1 round a second with a bolt action rifle.......what else about an ar-15 makes it so "scary"?

Whats scarier and what can inflict more damage:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_NedobHfd1FgE9P_sQRAB6fBmKdvcgTCXxtIgV_8DWdUjPubXgpTN3AVP8A

sks.jpg

Colt_AR-15_Rifle.jpg
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtCQZOtv8i4VqhNb1fCLkGUnOwLgnFZTl5nEHSz_JS7HLJadxbRA

Nothing scary about bear arms.
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Okay. I am a hunter.

I'm a hunter, and if someone breaks into my home I'm a hunter of humans. I'm pretty sure that still qualifies as a hunter.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Alright, I'll illustrate for the uninformed because I still am not grasping this idea that "assault rifles" are more or less unnecessary than other kinds of weapons.

This is a semi-automatic rifle:

640_Mini_027.jpg_Dennis_4_Tactical.jpg

This is an identical semi-automatic rifle:

RugerMini14AWbig.jpg

They both fire the same round. They both have the same magazine capacity, same custom options, etc. They are equally lethal. But one LOOKS scary, so let's call it an assault rifle, pee our pants, and demand that it be outlawed. Right?

I think I am in love with you.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtCQZOtv8i4VqhNb1fCLkGUnOwLgnFZTl5nEHSz_JS7HLJadxbRA

Nothing scary about bear arms.

that makes me chuckle every time i see it.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Okay. I am a hunter.

I'm a hunter, and if someone breaks into my home I'm a hunter of humans. I'm pretty sure that still qualifies as a hunter.

I hunt paper targets. They are a dangerous foe, but I hunt them nonetheless.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

playing devil's advocate here:

while being special forces/police means going through a certain career path, it does not mean that while in service, or after your service, you will still be in the frame of mind to own and operate a firearm. didn't an Army doctor start shooting on a military base in texas three years ago?

and who is to decide what exactly is a farmer/hunter. my dad grows vegetables in his backyard. now we'll have to start defining what a farmer is. and all kinds of people hunt. do they want trophies, or do they rely on it for the only way they can sustain their family. are we going to start defining that too?
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Overused meme fail.

I stand corrected, you can multitask. You can do all kinds of fail at the same time.

I've never once seen that meme used before, clearly you spend way too much time on the internet if you've seen it used so many times. Long story short, the internet is your life and since that's the case that would make your life a fail. Sucks to be you.

So you've never seen that meme used before, mmmmm. How did you know about its existence, without ever seeing it?

Yes, clearly the internet is my whole life. Clearly. You know because you're me, living my life (in the internet).

So, are you a console "gamer" then? "Avid Gamer"? That is a whole other level of fail. All real gamers know that online gaming is where it's at ;)

I sleep, go out, stay in, do whatever - all without the need for a gun. Not living in fear is pretty win.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Overused meme fail.

I stand corrected, you can multitask. You can do all kinds of fail at the same time.

I've never once seen that meme used before, clearly you spend way too much time on the internet if you've seen it used so many times. Long story short, the internet is your life and since that's the case that would make your life a fail. Sucks to be you.

So you've never seen that meme used before, mmmmm. How did you know about its existence, without ever seeing it?

Yes, clearly the internet is my whole life. Clearly. You know because you're me, living my life (in the internet).

So, are you a console "gamer" then? "Avid Gamer"? That is a whole other level of fail. All real gamers know that online gaming is where it's at ;)

I sleep, go out, stay in, do whatever - all without the need for a gun. Not living in fear is pretty win.

3-11.jpg
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I think jaymek92 needs to understand the Castle Doctrine. It explains much about why someone entering your house can be confronted with deadly force, if necessary.

But alas, most likely will stick her fingers in here ear and go lalalalalalalalalala
    The Castle Doctrine? You mean the doctrine that, in my state, says that if I feel that I am threatened in any way, shape, or form, I'm allowed to kill whoever I feel is threatening me?
    As somebody who can be quite paranoid at times, I feel like I shouldn't be allowed to shoot to kill somebody who's freaking me out. I mean, I was about to stab some kitchen curtains because I thought somebody was trying to break into my house, so I don't think that I would be a good judge of somebody who's actually threatening to me versus just walking down the street some evening.

Of all the people on this thread I will be the first to say YOU DONT NEED TO EVER OWN A GUN!!!! Someone that is paranoid needs to stay far away from them. Those are the kind of people that cause these kinds of discussions. Just my opinion.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I live in a country where the even police don't have guns. It's great.

If I don't want to binge on junk food I don't buy it into the house, because then lack of willpower has nothing to act on anyway. Same deal with guns. It's just been a part of your country for too long and people don't like things being taken away from them. You're just going to have to keep on dealing with school shootings etc.

Its not the fact that we don't like things taken away, it's the fact that even if guns are banned, Criminals will find a way to get a hold of a gun, and us law abiding citizens wouldn't be able to protect ourselves. Criminals will not go "Oh, it's against the law, I'll just turn my gun in then!" Nope. These people who do school shootings, theater shootings, regardless of the law, will continue to do so because well, criminals don't follow the law, that's why they are criminals.