what started it all for you?

Options

Replies

• Kelly051282
    Options
    I had a baby in May and my husband and I do not want him to have the weight issues growing up that we did. We've learned from our parents' mistakes, but we also need to model healthy habits so I want to be sure I'm doing that!
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i didn't gain weight suddenly, but gradually put on weight over about 6-7 years due to unhealthy food choices, two pregnancies 13 months apart, stress from the death of my Father, and using food for comfort.

My turning point was having my older sister (only by two years) diagnosed with diabetes. My Mother had been diagnosed with diabetes following chemotherapy for breast cancer, but despite the fact that she was overweight, her Dr. said that he sees ALOT of people develop diabetes following chemotherapy due to the toxins going into your body. At this point, i went to my primary care dr. and told him that i honestly didn't know that i had time for being a diabetic, so i needed his help to make changes! He has been wonderful over the time that i've been losing weight. i've encountered some bumps in the road since i started my journey (neck surgery for herniated discs & carpal tunnel/ulnar nerve surgery) that have hindered my ability to exercise, but decided this was a life journey so i am in it for the long term. i've seen my kids make healthier food choices also - so it's a win/win :happy:
  • rubii95
    rubii95 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My dad said he hated fat people... Since that day I have been craving his attention. I want him to love me but every time he talks to me he says he can't help but scream at me because he gets frustrate with seeing my fatness. And i got rejected by a guy I really like because I'm fat. I want to come back to school with a rockin body so all ye people that doubted me can eat their heart out (:
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Last year in July I had an awakening moment when I realized that I weighed the same as my 6'02" brother. I decided then that I didn't like the number I saw on the scale and started exercising and eating less. I got down to 128 by Christmas but had stopped working out. Slowly the weight came back and in the beginning of June I realized I was back up to 138. I had heard about MFP and decided to check it out. I joined and logged for the first week not really worrying about what I was eating. I gained a pound that first week and then started eating healthier, the weight started to come off. It's been slow going but I don't want to see 140 again unless I have another baby in the belly. Since joining MFP I have noticed my energy levels come back up and I can run around with my kids for more than 5 minutes at a time.
  • Mzchasenpaper
    Mzchasenpaper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    my mother's stroke, heart attack, diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure all before she reached the age of 55, all this having only been 40 lbs overweight.
  • Sarahwillow
    Sarahwillow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Since January I have lost and gained the same damn 3 pounds. Over and over again, the eight time I got on that scale and I gained it all back again in 14 days, I just snapped. This was two weeks ago. I am so over it finally!!
    This is about me, this is about my terrible eating habits, my inability to not eat at junk, to not LOVE myself.
    This is about the person who I never was, to who I want to be and stay that person. I am going to fight and I am going to win the war....so I guess what started it all for me, I got angry with me and then, I realized I truly love me and that is what I have to remember!!! This is for me :heart:
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It was February of this year and I began feeling my clothes getting a a bit tighter...it was absolute motivation to go where I had never been before!!! It's been 5/6 months and I am totally addicted...it is my venting session, my therapist, my massage, and my recharge all in one!
    I can finally say that I am at the lowest weight I've ever recorded..possibly even smaller than in HS!!
    It's a fantastic feeling!!!
  • iamluce
    iamluce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    my "fat friend", whose jeans used to be big on me, and i got into a fight for two years
    when we started hanging out again, she had lost 40 pounds and looked amazing
    i realized that if she could do it, i could too
    and here i am now
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My dad said he hated fat people... Since that day I have been craving his attention. I want him to love me but every time he talks to me he says he can't help but scream at me because he gets frustrate with seeing my fatness. And i got rejected by a guy I really like because I'm fat. I want to come back to school with a rockin body so all ye people that doubted me can eat their heart out (:

Oh my gosh :-( That is aweful!!! I can't imagine what that must have felt like to have your own father say that :-( I hope you get that rockin' body you want so both your father and anyone else who didn't want to love you for who you are now, or get to know you for who you are now can eat their heart out. When you have a child you love them unconditionally small, big, short, tall, gay, straight it shouldn't matter. What matters is the heart and if someone can't accept you for who you are on the outside they have no right to get to know who you are on the inside father or not.... He doesn't deserve your attention and one day he will be "craving" your attention he will be lucky enough to recieve it.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My trifecta of reasons are as follows:

Enough is Enough

**I'm 43 and I realized that 1/2 my life is over, and I've spent most of those years overweight. Did I want to spend the rest of it fat, not being able to do the things I want to do? My fat keeps me home and keeps me away from the life I want to live.

**My son is 17 and will be a senior in high school. He has told me he worries about me and my health. I want to have one last year with him living at home, where we have a fun ACTIVE family life. Mostly, I want him to be able to go away to college and not have to worry about me.

**My daughter is 8 and I see her developing my eating habits. She's definitely becoming overweight. I WILL NOT pass on my weight problem to her.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your reasons! Break the cycle now so your daughter won't have to go the path we've traveled!
  • natalianogueira
    natalianogueira Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight, but last year i got sick to the point I couldn't do any physical activities and I gained a lot of weight. In september I got engaged, and noticed that I wanted to be beautiful in a wedding dress, and I want to wear something I choose, not something that fits. Sometimes when we're overweight, we don't have a lot of clothing to pick, because most of it doesn't fit. I was buying a lot of boring stuff, just because it fits.
    In March I finished my treatment, and felt I could get my life back. I started slow, and I got results pretty fast. But I still have a year ahead of me to achieve my goal, it will be hard, but totally possible. :)
  • OddBookOut
    OddBookOut Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got weighed at the doctors and realized I was 199 lbs. I refused to go into the 200's when I already didn't feel good so I immediately started dieting.
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My friend called me fat.
    He was right.

Ditto here..
  • bouncybabymama
    bouncybabymama Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I ran into a guy I dated in high school and he asked me when I got the double chin. He continued the conversation with how hot I "used" to be. So rude....

S/N - Yes I dumped him because he never used his brain to think before speaking! I still feel like the winner in this whole scenario!
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So many reasons. I was 135 when I graduated high school. Gained the freshman 15, then got knocked up in senior year. 195 at delivery. Hung around at 185 for a long while, then over the course of a year got all the way down to 161 (not sure how, I didn't really do anything, but I was seriously depressed for a long time and I think that curbed my appetite a bit). In 2009 I got back up to 180. I was also a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding that year. I cried when I saw the pictures. All the other bridesmaids were girls we'd gone to college with and they looked fabulous, and there I was, the frumpy fat friend. I was so ashamed. I tried logging cals and exercising for a few weeks, but it just didn't stick.

My boyfriend proposed to me in February of this year. I thought to myself, "I better lose this weight sometime soon so I can look nice at my wedding." But I wasn't in a hurry. Our wedding isn't until October 2013, so I kept thinking to myself, "I have over a year. I'm fine. I have plenty of time." Then, in May this year, I was in another friend's wedding - I read a poem at the ceremony. When THOSE pictures came back, I had another tear-fest. I guess I had forgotten how terrible I looked. Those pics sure reminded me. And I realized I couldn't keep saying, "I'll start trying to lose the weight soon," or "next month" or whatever. I had to start NOW. No excuses. I did not want to look at my OWN wedding pictures and feel the same horror I felt looking at the pictures from my friends' weddings. I was NOT going to ruin such a special day with my self-loathing.

My daughter has wonderful eating habits. We go out to eat and she wants applesauce, fruit, chicken, all the good stuff. Meanwhile my friends' kids are shoving down fries and McDonald's and everything fried, some of them at EVERY meal, and some of them are just three years old and already too chubby for their age. When I take her grocery shopping and ask her what she wants to buy, it's always apples or clementines or grapes. And one day, while I was slicing an apple for her and feeling so proud of her food choices, I thought, "Who taught her to make these great choices? We did - her parents. *I* did. And if I can teach her, I can sure as hell teach myself."

Those are the main reasons. I am just not gonna let this fat suck all the happiness out of my life anymore. I am done with that kind of lifestyle! I want an active, healthy, happy lifestyle that I can be proud of :)

I've been on MFP 45 days and I've dropped 11 pounds. Today I saw 168 on the scale and I cried - happy tears this time! I am reaching my goals and feeling fabulous!
  • BriHealthy150
    BriHealthy150 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hadn't weighed myself in forever and something possessed me to do it... and I saw something I just wasn't okay with.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Either I'm just having an emotional day, or the stories on this thread are really, really touching.

So many people, have suffered so much. Yes we are responsible for where we are, and yes we are the only ones that can do anything about it, but there have been some hurtful people who have said a lot of hurtful things to a lot of people on here and that makes me sad.

You are all so inspirational. We all have our own story. Thank you for sharing them :heart:
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've always known it's been a problem, especially when I gained 25 pounds being with the love of my life. But it was when my doctor said to me a few weeks ago: "Come in next week for a blood test. We need to make sure you're not at risk for diabetes." I'm twenty one years old. That was not okay to hear.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There are some key factors- my kid needs a role model, my doctor kept using the words "morbidly obese" on her reports... A couple years ago, I suddenly became "more single", and started dating these guys that were either nuts, or "just not that into me". I kept giving these men the benefit of the doubt, continuing to fall for their lines of baloney. After one guy stood me up for the third time... and I was all sad and mopey, I said the same thing we all tell ourselves when someone acts cruddy to us.... "I deserve better". BUT this time, I realized I was looking in the wrong direction. I was expecting other people to treat me well, when I wasn't treating myself good. I DO deserve better and who best to provide me with "better" than myself? You know the deal about being in a crashing plane, and putting the oxygen on yourself, so you are alive to save your kid... well, treating myself with respect is my way of putting on my own oxygen mask, so I can save my kiddo. Because he is worth it too, and will learn from my example.
  • Darmanin
    Darmanin Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. :-)

Great to hear everyones stories