Foods You Hate But Eat Anway Because They're Good For You

Options

Replies

• chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Milk, yogurt, tomatoes, water (sometimes), apples, brown rice, whole wheat pasta. I USED to hate and still do most of the time these items but slowly Ive learned how to incorperate them into things so I enjoy them. Milk was huge (any dairy really) hurdle to get over but now I dont mind it as long as its ice cold with cereal or I try to add skim milk to almost any recipe even if its only half a cup or someting. Apples I now have with some low fat real peanut butter, brown rice I add more water into the ricer and it seems to make it taste better and well pasta still working on making it taste as good as its white relative. Raw tomatoes still can't stand though, doubt that's going to change but thankfully they're more healthy cooked anyways!

I'm with you on the tomatoes!!! I won't eat them at all though - toooo squishy. The tomato "boogers" repulse me. But if they're chopped up really fine like in salsa or bruschetta, I can handle them that way. I have never liked milk, so I just drink almond milk and I like that just fine.

Most of what I eat is very healthy and I LOVE it, but I still have trouble getting in as much protein as I'd like, hence the reason why I eat the cottage cheese and Greek yogurt.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i don't eat anything i don't like... whatever nutritional benefits i may get from something i don't enjoy eating, there's a perfectly fine substitute for it in something that i do enjoy eating.

example: i don't like beets. beets are gross.

beets are high in potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, vitamins A, B & C, beta-carotene, beta-cyanine & folic acid. they also contain betaine and trytophan, which are good for mental health.

however, there are plenty of other foods that are high in these, all of which i enjoy:
    dark leafy greens
    whole grains
    fish
    chocolate
    berries
    dark meat

you never should *HAVE* to eat something because "its good for you" if you don't enjoy it. learn what the benefits are, and find something that has that benefit that you actually ENJOY.
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky. Nothing I hate is all that necessary for me to be healthy. Those things are sour candy, olives any kind,and pickles.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Greens...I like spinach, napa cabbage and lettuce/salad greens but can't stand the bitter greens...kale, swiss chard, beet greens, turnip greens, etc. I got a farmshare this year to get into a better veggie eating habit and it's FULL of greens in the spring. I took to making pesto with them (add parmesan cheese to pretty much anything and I'm all for it) and winter greens lasagna (again, cheese seems to solve any problem for me...double bonus since I struggle to get enough calcium). I don't get much vitamin A and I don't like wasting anything from the farm so I eat them.
  • DieselGrrl
    DieselGrrl Posts: 55
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese, but dislike vegetables, especially carrots. I started by eating the steamed vegetables and am working my way towards eating more raw vegetables. I still have a hard time getting them in at every meal though.
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Green Tea
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Chicken titties.....they gag me but I love the lean protein!!!
  • chocolateandpb
    Options
    Green Tea

Me too! But with a squeeze of fresh lemon and some honey, it's doable. Also try brewing it with a fruit tea - it takes away from some of the bitterness that green tea sometimes has.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Wish I hated food....that's what got me here in the first place lol.

So far I haven't met a food that I didn't like or couldn't tolerate. There are some things I never tried and probably never will....like frog legs. I almost said chicken titties lol until I realized that the poster was really talking about chicken breasts lol...and I love those :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not a d@mn thing! :tongue:

There are plenty of healthy foods that I enjoy, why eat something that's yucky?
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    EGGS. My boyfriend loves and makes them every single day and it makes me sick!
  • amyford25
    amyford25 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Chicken titties.....they gag me but I love the lean protein!!!

LOL, that caught me off guard!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I don't eat foods I don't like..there are so many healhty choices out there. cottage cheese is nasty IMO.. if you are looking for a dairy source of protein try greek yogurt instead- it's yummy
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Cuccumbers..I hate the little buggers..but I put them on my sandwhich any way . . .for filler..
    I try to put as many veggies as I can on my sandwhichs..but I started off by adding one...till I got use to that..then another..till I got up to the point where there is more veggies then bread...
  • chocolateandpb
    Options
    Not a d@mn thing! :tongue:

There are plenty of healthy foods that I enjoy, why eat somethign that's yucky?

For everyone questioning why I would eat something yucky, it's for the protein!! :smile: As a long time vegetarian who also does low carb (er, is trying to do low carb, haha), it's tricky to get as much protein as I need. On a typical day I have a whey protein shake for breakfast blended with unsweetened almond milk, natural peanut butter, and half a banana. Then a protein bar for a morning snack, usually an egg and veggie based dish for lunch, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese in the afternoon, and quinoa or rice/beans with lots of veggies for dinner. Sometimes another whey protein shake before bed, depending on how much I exercised that day. I still only come out around 70-80 grams usually, and I don't feel like it's enough for me.

Taking your suggestions for non-squishy vegetarian protein sources other than the ones I mentioned that I'm already eating! :smile:
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am a very picky eater and if I didn't eat the things I didn't like, well I wouldn't eat. Well except junk food, I love me some junk food and potatoes (hence why I need to lose weight lol)

I don't like:

Milk
    cheese(pretty much any dairy)
    eggs
    rice
    beans
    noodles
    bread products
    meat (it has to have a lot of seasoning-I am trying to get away from this cause of the sodium)
    chocolate (unless it has peanut butter in it)

The list goes on but I can't think of anything else. lol
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yogurt. gross. i just mix it up in my smoothie for the consistency and protein (greek yogurt) so i can't taste it then and it's okay.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Cuccumbers..I hate the little buggers..but I put them on my sandwhich any way . . .for filler..
    I try to put as many veggies as I can on my sandwhichs..but I started off by adding one...till I got use to that..then another..till I got up to the point where there is more veggies then bread...

^^ THIS! ^^ I really dislike cucumbers... they're slimy and they taste weird. I put them in my salads as a filler. I can't taste them as much with the other stuff in there. :)
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    chicken. I really, really dislike chicken. Oh and fish. Although more tolerable than chicken.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms
    brussel sprouts (only during the holdiays)