Foods You Hate But Eat Anway Because They're Good For You

Options

Replies

• Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Celery.

Same here. I don't hate it but I certainly don't like it either.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally eat things I don't like. I may try them again if someone prepares them differently, or maybe even to be a polite guest, but I certainly don't make them become a daily part of my diet.
  • AyanaSan
    AyanaSan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've learned to accept eggs into my life, but only hard boiled. Thats a HUGE step considering I have loathed them for 33 years.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not a d@mn thing! :tongue:

There are plenty of healthy foods that I enjoy, why eat something that's yucky?

For everyone questioning why I would eat something yucky, it's for the protein!! :smile: As a long time vegetarian who also does low carb (er, is trying to do low carb, haha), it's tricky to get as much protein as I need. On a typical day I have a whey protein shake for breakfast blended with unsweetened almond milk, natural peanut butter, and half a banana. Then a protein bar for a morning snack, usually an egg and veggie based dish for lunch, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese in the afternoon, and quinoa or rice/beans with lots of veggies for dinner. Sometimes another whey protein shake before bed, depending on how much I exercised that day. I still only come out around 70-80 grams usually, and I don't feel like it's enough for me.

Taking your suggestions for non-squishy vegetarian protein sources other than the ones I mentioned that I'm already eating! :smile:

Hemp seeds! Or make a protein shake with protein powder (You can get hemp protein powder as high as 15g/serving) then add extra powder in with it and toss in a banana or yogurt or whatever and then add a serving of your favorite fruit to make it taste yummy.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    LENTILS. *shudders*
  • JayBear13
    JayBear13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit, I'm getting used to it cause its supposed to be good for your metabolism, but I don't eat sugar with it so....
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't eat what I don't like. There's a ton of stuff out there that I do like, all in moderation. Never liked shrimp, still don't - you'd have to tell me I'd be a size zero overnight if I ate it in order to get me to eat it. Same with Avocado - oh ick on that, texture is all wrong and it's slimy - don't care if it's a super food, not gonna do it, you can't make me :tongue:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me, it is nothing. I'll give any food I feel is heatlhy a few tries, prepared different ways, but if I don't like it, I'm not going to eat it.

I rarely have enough calories to eat all the foods I love, I'm certainly not going to waste calories on something I don't like.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I eat foods I enjoy because then I feel satisfied. I don't like eating things that are just filler unless I have no other choice.

Foods I dislike and absolutely will not eat are bananas, olives, green beans, seafood, most types of fish, and anything cooked with too much fat/grease.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I generally won't eat food I dislike, but sometimes I'll still eat tuna salad and steamed broccoli.

I find both of these food items to be tolerably horrid. :laugh:
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try putting like a tablespoon of jam into about 1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese :)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Go!

For me, it's cottage cheese. I eat it almost everyday because it's a good source of vegetarian protein, it's easy to portion out and take to work, and it's low cal. I can't stand the texture though! I've found that if I mix it with granola or Fiber One, it's much more tolerable. I've also added some crumbled blue cheese to it and transformed it into a chip/pretzel dip. I just need some crunch!

I don't like squishy foods--so I'm also not a huge fan of yogurt, but again, eat it frequently, always stirring in fruit or cereal with it.

I don't eat anything I hate. Why would I? Unless you are an extraordinarily picky eater there are other healthy things you can eat instead. Why force yourself to eat what you hate? It seems like setting yourself up for failure.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt. i've given the plain nonfat kind every kind of chance i can but still hate it. so now i just eat it with a sour face. lol or buy the naturally flavored ones.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Salads - never been fond of cold, wet food.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit, I'm getting used to it cause its supposed to be good for your metabolism, but I don't eat sugar with it so....

If you hate grapefruit, don't eat it. It has no magical effect on your metabolism. I promise you. NONE AT ALL.
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Avocado! It tastes pretty bad, but I gotta get it in there somehow! Great source of good fats.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything I hate. I just work with the foods that I do like that are good. Luckily I'm not picky at all though and absolutely love cottage cheese, and a lot of veggis. :P There are too many healthy choices to eat stuff you hate often. I just get the veggies I know I like and sometimes find a way to cook/season ones I don't to taste good.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I hate water.

But you absolutely have to drink it so I do.

I think water picks up the taste of whatever it's in, the pipes, plastic bottles, the fridge when it's in a Brita... I just hate that gross plastics or metallically taste...it seems weird but I can taste the difference in different kings of water today. I prefer to drink Dasani.

My friends say I'm a super taster lol

But I don't eat any foods I hate I just find some other way to get the nutrients from food I don't like.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I'll find a healthy alternative I like. Why eat food you don't like if you can find something you like that has the same nutritional values?