Dress Code

Options

Replies

• Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Apparently the OP asked for a lecture on business etiquette and not funny or interesting comments about weird dress codes at work.

It turned out to be more entertaining this way anyways. :laugh:
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm a software engineer, and don't deal with people outside the company much, so there is no dress code. Not too many people care what we look like hiding away in our cubes all day:)

I usually were jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt everyday. If I'm meeting with a customer, a vendor, or with senior management I will wear something nicer, but that is very rare.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I think a dress code is needed for extreme things.... Like I don't want to see my banker dressed in a speedo or my dentist wearing a bikini. lmao Some people need to be on a leash or it would get that crazy. I agree that nit picky things in office situations are absurd like "no jeans, no socks, no open-toe shoes". Who really gives a rip about that? Maybe it's micromanagement issues... pray for a new boss!
  • AmberMahfouz
    AmberMahfouz Posts: 316
    Options
    I would actually prefer uniforms. This way if I wear the same thing every day, it doesn't matter and I can spend my money on clothes I actually want to wear, and not that I have to wear to fit into our "business casual" dress code.
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So get a new job. It's a free country.

hmmmm, no. It may be a free country but it isn't a country with jobs falling out of the sky. Let's think rationally here, would you quit your job because you couldn't show your shoulders or would you make an interesting post for others to reply to and vent a little......................I think most would go with the latter.

Option 3: I would be thankful for my job and not whine about something as trivial as a dress code.

Geez. I think she's grateful for her job! She just wanted to vent so she doesn't smack someone rude whose shoulders are showimg and can't get in trouble for it! Haha
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    We aren't allowed to wear capris, open toed shoes, or show shoulder. Too provocative!!
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Where my fiance works they have sexual harassment training a lot, but then they never say anything to the women quite literally showing cleavage popping out of the top of their shirts. He embarrassed the hell out of one during a meeting once, talking about how disgusted he was at her inappropriate attire.

Damn you can get training for it and all these years I have been self taught :laugh:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I get pissed because women can wear skirts/flip flops/really casual **** and I have to wear closed toe shoes/slacks and a collared shirt......That said I don't have it so bad.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Apparently the OP asked for a lecture on business etiquette and not funny or interesting comments about weird dress codes at work.

Her first post was ... unfortunately worded to inspire such reactions. :)

When you post 'joke' threads on MFP you have to be VERY careful about your opening act.

That said... I have nothing real to contribute. I've never been in a work environment with weird dress codes.

Although this one company said we weren't allowed to wear sweats in public OUTSIDE OF WORK, because it would reflect badly on the company. That one was weird...
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I get pissed because women can wear skirts/flip flops/really casual **** and I have to wear closed toe shoes/slacks and a collared shirt......That said I don't have it so bad.

A guy at my work tried to protest the "No shorts" part of the men's dress code by wearing his wife's capris, arguing they are the same thing. That was a fun day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would actually prefer uniforms. This way if I wear the same thing every day, it doesn't matter and I can spend my money on clothes I actually want to wear, and not that I have to wear to fit into our "business casual" dress code.

I so agree with this ^^ I have a closet full of "professional" clothes that I never wear anywhere but work. I'd love to just roll out of bed and throw on a uniform. and not have to decide what to wear.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Scrubs. I am beginning to dislike them!
  • cmpollard01
    cmpollard01 Posts: 246
    Options
    I used to work for an ultra-conservative bank. Even during the hottest months, we were required to have on a blazer/sport coat (depending on gender). For a while we were required to wear hosiery! While there were times it was uncomfortable, customers continually commented on how great we looked, and how nice it was to true, business appropriate, professional attire. The financial institution I'm currently at is not as conservative. Unfortunately, I see women in ridiculously short skirts (I'm talking "What Not to Wear" short), hideously low cut tops...frankly, I'd like to tell people "this is a bank, not a place to display your goodies." Granted, some of us women might understand that "sleeveless blouse" does not equal "spaghetti strap tank top," but sadly, too many don't. Customers and coworkers don't need to see that!
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    We have a ridiculous dress code in the sense that my supervisor makes me stick to it but not my coworker and everyone else and their supervisors are fairly slack about it as well.

No flip flop sandals, no spaghetti straps, no jeans, must wear trouser socks, no open toed shoes during winter. Women must wear panty hose during winter months. I could keep going.... :grumble:

Like I said, I can understand the dress code, but not if I'm the only one who has to abide by it.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I work in a fairly casual office - we can wear jeans and nice tops every day. We don't have 'the public' in the office, and we don't get clients or guests either (on a rare occasion we will sometimes host a meeting with clients or associates, but always with advanced warning).

I am not allowed to show my tattoos or nose piercing. "It's a professional job" was the reason I was told for this rule. Basically, I work in the legal department for a large company, and the folks in charge of the department are conservative and straight-laced. So, I have to look that way too. Whatever, though, because I love what I do and who I work with. I put up with it and make do.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hee hee hee I am one of the privileged few that do not have a dress code. I have a regular 8-5 job but work from my home. I could work in my pj's and nobody would know!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

A guy at my work tried to protest the "No shorts" part of the men's dress code by wearing his wife's capris, arguing they are the same thing. That was a fun day.

I thought about buying a kilt to try that.........decided it would have to be a nice one for me to wear it and I wasn't ready to lay down that much in protest.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I have a work dress code that is no "boobs, butts, or bellies" hanging out. No wet hair, tank tops/spaghetti straps, flip flops, very high heels, leggings, or jeans unless its the last Friday in the month. Doesn't bother me. The shoe thing is b/c it can be a safety hazard and the others are b/c I work with children. Everyone's idea of professional dress is different so there have to be some guidelines otherwise some people would just wear whatever.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    How would you feel about a man wearing a sleeveless shirt to the office?

We had a customer visit our factory in England a few summers ago wearing a Bermuda Suit, Bermuda shorts and a Jacket with short sleeves, it actually looked good.

:smile:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

That's awesome! I'm so doing that :laugh: