Stop saying great job when it's not!!!

Options
sweetchildomine
sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
My very first MFP rant. Feel free to get angry at me and have an entertaining internet battle.

I'm sorry but it irritates the heck out of me when I see someone finished their diary for the day and all they ate was a plate of 800 calorie nachos and everyone comments "Great job!!" and "Way to go!!". Seriously?!?!?! I see this crap EVERYDAY!!! I'm down for giving people moral support but I refuse to tell you good job if all you did was eat cookies all day. I am the person that will say "Don't worry, tomorrow is another day!!" Am I a meanie pants for that? Also, tell me why when people post progress pictures where you OBVIOUSLY can't see a difference at all everyone lies and says they can? You guys know you've seen that before on here lol. WHY?!?!?!?! It bugs me!!!!!

Replies

• FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    People lie to make others feel better about themselves. It's BS. BE HONEST!

Also, a lot of people don't view food diaries so they don't actually know what they're saying 'WTG' or 'Great job!' to. I remember reading somewhere on here, someone hadn't actually filled in their log and submitted it anyway and still got comments, lol.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    WTG!
    :tongue:
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    Add me, I can't lie. People de-friended me before :)
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    First I "somewhat" agree with you. However, they are obviously your friend so you should have some clue of their journey. As someone who has suffered (and still deal with triggers) an 800 calorie day IS good for a few of my friends. So yes, I will say congrats, but..... etc.
    2nd - we all have our bad days, too many calories or not enough calories
    3rd - many people do not actually look at other diaries (that may take For.Ever for some people) so if they see you are "under your calorie goal" they will say Congrats or Good Job w/out knowing exactly what was eaten.

Now if you are one that actually reads your friends food diary - awesomeness. I am with you on the fact that I don't want to be pat on the back for actually being bad. Don't congratulat me if I didn't do well and/or give me advise on how to be better. I 100% agree that I'd rather constructive feedback than false praise!

//rant over
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    When people say that, I'm assuming that they're not actually VIEWING the diary. They're just looking at the newsfeed post and not clicking. ???
    I personally don't make comments on peoples diaries unless I actually take the time to go in there and check it out (which I rarely do).

But I can tell ya, my friends have definitely looked at my diary.. as they've commented on my 1/2 serving of Haagen Dazs for dessert...:blushing:
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My very first MFP rant. Feel free to get angry at me and have an entertaining internet battle.

I'm sorry but it irritates the heck out of me when I see someone finished their diary for the day and all they ate was a plate of 800 calorie nachos and everyone comments "Great job!!" and "Way to go!!". Seriously?!?!?! I see this crap EVERYDAY!!! I'm down for giving people moral support but I refuse to tell you good job if all you did was eat cookies all day. I am the person that will say "Don't worry, tomorrow is another day!!" Am I a meanie pants for that? Also, tell me why when people post progress pictures where you OBVIOUSLY can't see a difference at all everyone lies and says they can? You guys know you've seen that before on here lol. WHY?!?!?!?! It bugs me!!!!!

Its called motivation, motivation to eat crap? Motivation to bullish*t? There is many names for it. Obviously I'm not going to messed them up for eating things that I don't eat. Great job with your post! See I'm bullsh*tting too.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I've been ranting over this in my own head as well. Sometimes I feel bad because it seems some of the sweetest people have some of the worst diaries and I want to help but I would hate to make them feel bad.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    First I "somewhat" agree with you. However, they are obviously your friend so you should have some clue of their journey. As someone who has suffered (and still deal with triggers) an 800 calorie day IS good for a few of my friends. So yes, I will say congrats, but..... etc.
    3rd - many people do not actually look at other diaries (that may take For.Ever for some people) so if they see you are "under your calorie goal" they will say Congrats or Good Job w/out knowing exactly what was eaten.

Now if you are one that actually reads your friends food diary - awesomeness. I am with you on the fact that I don't want to be pat on the back for actually being bad. Don't congratulat me if I didn't do well and/or give me advise on how to be better. I 100% agree that I'd rather constructive feedback than false praise!

^^this
    //rant over
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I never submit my diary anymore.. I know what I eat and I don't need people to tell me good job. It's unlocked too so anyone can see it. I also never comment on diaries.. only exercise and statuses.

I also understand the before/after picture.. not on here but I have a friend who has supposedly lost 25-30 pounds, but yet she doesn't look an ounce different in photos. I look at every photo she posts and I try really hard to find a difference.. and I cannot find one to save my life. I sometimes wonder if she makes it up!
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

//rant over

Yea THIS! ^^^

I only praise them if they earned it. If they eat a salad and an apple and claim they can't eat anymore...BULLSH*T! I send a private message and give them my opinion. I want to lose this weight the right way, and want to support people that feel the same way.
  • coolasafan
    coolasafan Posts: 75
    Options
    Kinda like in the rating threads....lol...never seen so many 8-9-10s in my life!
    Im a solid 6.5...7 when im lean.....but Im hilarious and have personality...

woodplow.jpg
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Kinda like in the rating threads....lol...never seen so many 8-9-10s in my life!

woodplow.jpg

Son you are almost hilarious. You need to perfect the meme more. I have a bookmark folder of all good memes. By the way nice pic with nog and andy.
  • coolasafan
    coolasafan Posts: 75
    Options

woodplow.jpg

Son you are almost hilarious. You need to perfect the meme more. I have a bookmark folder of all good memes. By the way nice pic with nog and andy.

Cmon yo! My memes are money! Don't be stingy with your funny memes tho.
    Yeah, those are the homies....Anderson and Big Nog are the most down to earth people for their status ive ever met.
  • REALBIGBATBASTARD
    REALBIGBATBASTARD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with congratulating someone on killing a plate of nachos?

Maybe it was impressive.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Great job! WTG! You killed it!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I agree, especially since I don't buy this "but they're your MFP friends and trying to be supportive!" No. The people who consistently say "Great job!" or "keep up the good work" are doing it ad nauseum, don't actually care, fishing for comments for themselves... in other words, completely insincere. So I agree, OP.

And I agree about the "rating" threads. That **** used to go on in LJ communities back in the early 2000s (when I was a young teen); can't believe I'm finding it on a community full of adults. Tempted to post a low score, then wait for the comments on my pic... since, you know, it's my dog.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Great job! WTG! You killed it!

You remind me a bit of Brock Lesnar hehe.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    So I guess I'm guilty of saying "Way to go" without checking people diaries...I'm not trying to give insincere praise, just trying to give encouragement. I do see your point however.
  • umikap
    umikap Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I completely agree because I DO read diaries and if it is not a good day....JUNK I just close it and on to the next. I was just having this discussion with someone because if my diary is UNhealthy I don't want anyone saying good day. I would HONESTLY like people to tell me the truth. Even tell me better choices I could have made etc.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I :heart: nachos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!