Stop saying great job when it's not!!!

Options

Replies

• Irish_eyes75
    Irish_eyes75 Posts: 475
    Options
    I agree. Blowing sunshine up someone's butt isn't doing them any favors.

However, I think it's presumptuous to comment on food diaries unless people ask for feedback. Don't assume everyone on here is lost and has no idea what to do to lose weight. I scan food diaries for food ideas. I'm a creature of habit and usually eat the same stuff day after day. If I see McDonalds on someone's diary I don't feel the need to let them know it wasn't a good choice. Food diary comments can go from supportive to condescending real quickly.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The best thing about this whole thread is how offended everyone got about the whole Nachos thing lol It was just the first thing that popped into my head! I'm SORRY!!! lol I didn't realize how much everyone loved nachos!!!

nachos.jpg

Look, its nachos. Everyone be happy now.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I only give motivation for calories burned or time logged in, motivating them to keep going in the right direction. As far as food I have yet to see someone who even met their calories for the day, therefore that is normal not impressive.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Did someone say Nachos?

Anyway, Great Job!
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I heard there were nachos in here.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am new here (1 week) I don't know a lot of back story to people on my list, but I try to figure out before I comment- some have enough things going in they just need a friend, some really do need and want to be reminded to get more protein, or whatever.

I just finished reading my friends' food diaries- some are private- so I usually don't say 'good job'- how do I know? maybe all they eat are 3 twinkies a day. but I do sometimes say something like "Good job on constant logging'- after all, for some, just constancy is a start (or maybe they aren't here for food support)

I have a friend who is breastfeeding, her foods were great- but water was low and I praised her foods &I encouraged her to get more water- it's extra important in that stage. (BTDT x 3- water is so needed)

my friends usually post what if going on if they are having a bad day or even bad week- my one friend- her dad has been in the hospital- she's been driving back and forth with kids- helping her mom, there are 'big family meals'- and right now it is more important for her to be helping her family that packing tuna and carrot lunches to eat right.

and I have un-friended a few people because I couldn't witness their eating anymore.

I haven't been here long enough to get defriended for my honest comments, but I won't be surprised if it happens. I try to be kind in my wording- my goal is to help- but some people wil get fed up with me, I bet.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    someone downed the whole plate of them. you missed out. sorry.
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about the first part, I don't think it helps anyone to encourage them when they're not exactly doing well. But constructive criticism is always a plus. As far as the photo thing goes, I don't agree. Sometimes when people lose weight they gain a lot of confidence, and want to share it. It doesn't always show right off though. Take myself for example, I have lost 18 pounds, and can't see a difference anywhere. Even in the way my clothes fit. I dunno whats up, but I have still lost the weight. People get excited that they lose 20 pounds, maybe in their mind they can see a difference. Who are we to bring them down by saying "I don't see a difference".

I hadn't thought about the photos this way, but now that you say this, I totally agree. Also, when people are asking if you can see a difference they may be needing the motivation to keep going because they themselves aren't seeing it.

Also, in regard to the food- people do blindly comment, but I do have to say that there are days when I plan to splurge (example: my parent's took the hubs and I out for anniversary dinner this week) and I do feel proud if I was able to control the rest of my day well enough that I can fit in the special dinner without killing my calorie count even though the macros will still be way off for that particular day.
  • MichelleLee73
    Options

:laugh:
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You can still save the thread sweet child. One way to save the thread is basically post this.

231306bac2db520ae60aa432237655c0e4f9c93c.png

Worst photo ever.

agreed ^^^ out of all the pictures on the interweb.... really?

Sigh it is not about the photo. You guys are a trollers dream. This crappy picture happens to be popular.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    (comment how you please and don't worry about what others comment. if they don't like it, they'll leave/unfriend- think of is as a test finding who your friends are that you want to be around)
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    I get what you're saying. I do, but here's my answer.

I don't eat completely clean and I don't expect my friends to either. So, if I see McDonalds or Pizza Hut on their list and they still keep it under? I'm gonna say "great job" and, yes, actually mean it. I don't even care if it's every day as long as they're under, especially if they are just starting out.

Also, when my friends (myself included) go on vacation and go over by 100 to 500 calories one or two days, I'm not going to beat them up over it. I'm going to praise them for not going 3,500 calories in one day and totally setting themselves back. Will I tell them to kick it in gear the next day? Yes, but I'm not going to pass their "day" by, by not saying anything just because they over did it a little. We all make mistakes.

Oh, and I also have a friend that hardly gets up to 1000 calories a day, but when she does, I say "good job" and mean it, because 1000 calories is better than what she was doing. See, you may not see this as a "good job," but I will, because I've been following what she's been doing.

Bottom line, I refuse to snub my nose at people or scroll past their post just because their weightloss actions don't "measure up" to whatever is "ideal." If they are trying and still having a bad day or, heck, even a week, I'll give them praise for what little they actually did while also giving them a nudge to kick it back in gear. I do this, because I feel praise does wonders over negativity/nothing at all. It's what helps me; So, I want to do that for my pals as well.
  • natashiag
    natashiag Posts: 33
    Options
    Nachos where? :D jk
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The best nachos come from your local taco shops, you can get them from Taco Bell but they arent real. I think i'm gonig to say screw it and have nachos for lunch tomorrow.
  • smhider
    smhider Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, after reading some of the comments here, I can easily understand why some newbies don't hang around. When you already feel so bad about yourself, comments like some of these really help - right? WTG!! Good job!!

Going to agree with this. I came here today from the sparkpeople site I have used for a bit, trying out a new tool and I like this tool better so I thought I would check out the community. Rather disappointed after reading this thread. For a group of people who are all trying loose weight some really tacky and judgmental comments have been made in this thread in my opinion.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Yep nachos are fine if they don't put you 1,000 over net, and the OP already has stated as much. The danger I have mostly seen is people eating or netting 200 or 300 cals a day...no need to lend moral support to an eating disorder or the medical complications of rapid weight loss.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    some people are just that way. I like honest people and if my MFP friends were to stop keeping me in check then I delete them. I'm here for support to accomplish a GOAL, not to get an ego boost. I need people on my support team that are honest and not scared to tell me when I've screwed up and hold me accountable. For that reason I give that same respecet to people. I've been deleted for being bruttally honest and I've deleted people for being to easy and fake. Just like anything/place online..you just have to weed through the wannabe's and pick out the people who are here to get WORK done!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I only say it when I mean it, otherwise I go by that old adage "If you ain't got nothin' nice to say, don't say anything at all". I'm not much of a critic or diet police when it comes to people's diaries. I don't give unsolicited advice.

I do wish there was a shortcut "good job" button (similar to Facebook's "like" button) so I can give my props. But I only give credit when credit is due. I can tell when someone isn't being genuine about mine, when they give me high 5's for being under but not even realizing that the whole day's consumption was spent on crap.

It's kinda entertaining.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a nacho hat. I would eat it every day. Some days I would put low fat sour cream on it, some days I would not. Some days there would be chicken, other days they would be vegetarian. But always, always, always, there would be cheese. Mmmmm.....cheese.....2% low fat cheese that is.....mmmmmmm
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Under is under......