Stop saying great job when it's not!!!

Options

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    As for the progress pix...I haven't seen a progress pic post where there wasn't at least a little improvement. And exercise gets ppl feeling better about themselves and when you've been feeling so bad for potentially so long, even the slightest improvement is something to brag about. As for the "good job"...me, personally, if I can't see their food diary I won't comment b/c you're right...if they're below their calorie goal but ate crap all day, I won't know so I won't comment. And if I see them eating slop, or overestimating their workouts or eating too little, regardless if they hit their calorie goal, I keep my mouth shut. If I see their calories consumed are dangerously low and there's no note that they had a violent stomach flu, I will comment about it being too low. If they get mad, that's on them. I'm not the food police but if I'm concerned I'm gonna say so!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I never submit my diary anymore.. I know what I eat and I don't need people to tell me good job. It's unlocked too so anyone can see it. I also never comment on diaries.. only exercise and statuses.

Me too. I don't have "has completed her diary" post to my wall. I know what I ate. I know a day like today isn't nutritionally great, and I don't need kudos or condemnation on it.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I only give positive feedback on someone's day if I actually read their diary. And, then I try to say something in addition like great water intake, great protein, fiber, etc. But, if I see that they didn't eat great, I will tell them that is it great they were under calorie, but to add more fruit/veg, protein, etc. I don't want to make them feel bad, but I won't give false praise.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I don't get worked up, I had a "friend" that ate fast food every day but she was always under her calories, I got annoyed more with her rants about how she hasn't been losing weight and couldn't understand why. So I just deleted her as a friend. I mean if you can't figure out why eating a big mac and two 16 oz sweet teas at lunch and then turning around and eating a half of a pizza for dinner and you aren't losing weight, I am not sure I am going to be able to help you.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If one of my friends went to the gym for two hours then eats 600 calories of Nacho's at dinner and still has calories left over for the day damn right I'm telling them good jobs. Screw every morsel of food you put in your mouth being healthy. If you run 5 miles and save up calories for dinner damn straight you can eat those nacho's and I'll tell you good job!

I'm a small girl. Most people would be more than happy with my size but I want to tone up. The only reason I'm not more tone is because I haven't committed to working out as much as I should. I get a lot of my calories from crappy food, frozen meals, canned soups etc... and yep guess what I ate at BURGER KING today :o and I only ate 1180 calories in total for the day and almost 40 grams of protein and I didn't have a chance to go to the gym

Do I think it was a good day? Hell yeah I do.

I think people just obsess to much about what you're eating. If you're tracking your sodium, fat, carbs etc and you're under on all that who gives a s*** what food you put in?

Boom. All of this right here. No need to get your blood pressure sky rocketing over *kitten* someone else did. :glasses:
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    I'll say "good job" or WTG because sometimes coming to MFP is an accomplishment within itself, and sometimes people need that extra oomph to actually log and track their calories. When people are first starting out, they might not know about nutrition and weight loss, and may actually think that plate of nachos is actually a good choice since it's under their goal. I hope that by coming back they will learn more about proper nutrition and maybe they will make better choices in the future.

No one knows what one struggles with on a day to day basis. I think this should be a place for support and encouragement, and not a place where we come to criticize and the take inventory of others. I have my diary open to friends because it keeps me accountable, not so I can flaunt and brag about how awesome my diet is (cuz honey, I definitely have my moments when it's a mess). Those who have it all figured out shouldn't be here in the first place, right?

I know when I see one of my friends that might not be making the best choices I keep my eye out for them to give them EXTRA encouragement because that's what it's all about to me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I think there's room for everyone on this site!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    you control your friend list. delete them. i don't to be annoyed at others' posts, and i certainly don't want to annoy others with my posts. i would hope my friends would delete me if they didn't like the things i was saying.
  • cstiles1960
    cstiles1960 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't care if people eat junk. Hell, I eat junk sometimes too! It's not that, it's the fact that others will comment on it saying "Great job!" regardless of how they did that day. I don't care if you eat the entire left side of the mcdonald's menu, I'm just saying I'm not going to congratulate you on it lol
  • dkweathington
    dkweathington Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I completely agree because I DO read diaries and if it is not a good day....JUNK I just close it and on to the next. I was just having this discussion with someone because if my diary is UNhealthy I don't want anyone saying good day. I would HONESTLY like people to tell me the truth. Even tell me better choices I could have made etc.

Agreed!!! The truth hurts sometimes but most of the time it will make you better.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I Don't usually even look at people's food log, if it says they are under and I know that's what they want from their journey, then it's a great job.

But, very honestly, who am I to judge someone else and hold them accountable? It is their weight loss, it does not impact me. They are accountable to themselves. I certainly appreciate my friends but they don't hold the power over my decisions.

If I have 10 calories over and put say, "Aww so close, you'll do better tomorrow." I could pee my pants laughing! I mean 5 months ago I was eating who knows how many calories a day and steadily gaining weight. 10 calories over? I did a frigging WONDERFUL job!!

But I don't get my now smaller panties in a bunch because I know the comment comes from a good place and has great intentions behind it. See, it's our own individual thing.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this thread!! I have seen a lot of diaries where someone has consistently eaten 400-500 calories every day for weeks. These people always receive praise for the"good job" they did but I always think that so many people here seem to have an eating disorder. I get that losing weight is difficult, but we need to be healthy about it, both in our own actions and how we support others. If all I ate all day was a handful of grapes, I would certainly want someone out there to give me a reality check and say "hey, dummy, you are not eating enough. you could die doing that to yourself, so please eat a sandwich before you pass out while working out."
  • TrainLikeaBOSS
    Options
    amen sister!
  • momof2TONI
    momof2TONI Posts: 116
    Options
    Wow, after reading some of the comments here, I can easily understand why some newbies don't hang around. When you already feel so bad about yourself, comments like some of these really help - right? WTG!! Good job!!
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My very first MFP rant. Feel free to get angry at me and have an entertaining internet battle.

I'm sorry but it irritates the heck out of me when I see someone finished their diary for the day and all they ate was a plate of 800 calorie nachos and everyone comments "Great job!!" and "Way to go!!". Seriously?!?!?! I see this crap EVERYDAY!!! I'm down for giving people moral support but I refuse to tell you good job if all you did was eat cookies all day. I am the person that will say "Don't worry, tomorrow is another day!!" Am I a meanie pants for that? Also, tell me why when people post progress pictures where you OBVIOUSLY can't see a difference at all everyone lies and says they can? You guys know you've seen that before on here lol. WHY?!?!?!?! It bugs me!!!!!

Great job, bro.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I don't even read other peoples diaries nor comment on them anymore. The exercise thing, yeah!

I've never felt the need to create a RANT on MFP either.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Well everyone has an off day, or a cheat day, but I agree: Why cheer on stupid decisions? When someone is overeating and not meeting their goals, or some obsessive comes in with 200 net cals for the day because all he or she ate was a salad and a protein bar then did 90 minutes of cardio...saying "good job" is just pushing that person down a path to hell.

Stupidity should not have moral support.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    I agree, some people eat unhealthy but then others are like "great job!" when really it's not.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You guys are missing the point!! It's not about nachos!! I ate nachos a few days ago! JEEZ!! lol Eat cookies all damn day if you want!! All I'm saying is that it annoys me that other people will comment on it saying how great of a job the person is doing when they aren't! That's like if your kid didn't study for a test and failed and you said "WAY TO GO!!! It's an accomplishment that you even showed up for the test!!!"
  • AngelAtkins61
    AngelAtkins61 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with the great job. But that being said, no one would post a photo if there hadn't been a loss. Who would want to ? So even if you can not see it you need to praise them on a job well done. Its NOT easy to put a pic of yourself in progress. On this point you need to lighten up and be more caring I feel