Men: Best way to approach YOU at the gym.....

Options
Maryaly40
Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
Now I know the other day this was asked to the women. Well, I'd like to flip it. First off I want to say this is NOT to hit on you. There are regulars I see at my gym all the time for the past 2 years and would like to talk to them. I'm really shy until the ice is broken. haha I'm not good at this. After reading the thread on that previous post I mentioned above, I'm probably viewed as one of those "b!ch faces" and that bothers me. :ohwell: I want to change that. So, here's the scenario:
If I approached you, (of course at an appropriate time), how would you react if I asked the following:

A. I'm curious about your tattoos, what is their meaning? (if not self explanatory)
B. You seem to know lots of lifting exercises and have great form, how long have you been working out?
C. Would you be able to spot me sometime?
D. You are the best looking man in this gym and if we lived in Hollywood, you'd be on TV (not hitting on, just paying a compliment :wink: )

Go!

Replies

• superman149
    Options
    I would probably try to stick with something casually related to working out first..
    if a girl comes up to me and asks "hey, can you show me a good exercise for my..*insert any muscle here*" I'd be more likely to be friendly and chat! its a gym not a bar, we like girls who are there for the right reasons, not just to only flirt with guys.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    haha! you are funny. . . "not hitting on". . Every one of those is a LINE! Probably used on YOU by dudes!
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    Well, the last one was kind of a "funny" but no, I didn't intend for any of the others to sound like a line. As I stated in my OP, I'm not good at this. This is why I asked the opinions of other guys here before I made a fool of myself and asked these questions to guys inside the gym world.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Just come up to me and say" Do you get that sweaty in the sack?"

60% of the time, it works everytime....
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    There are so many crazy weirdos at EVERY gym (guy that grunts super load or checks himself out in the mirror completely oblivious to anyone around) that it's very easy to bond with someone over it. I met a guy at a gym (that I eventually dated) that was huge -- we're talking 6'6 300lbs (not fat) benching God knows what and I passed him one day and said something like "why don't you put a little weight on that bar next time" or something like that.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Deffinitly D lol.

me personally, I dont like to be approached by anyone in the gym (I dont get hit on, just in general)

but if not, I would suggest by the fountain or in the pool area is fine though, but as you have trained and see these guys for 2 years Im sure you will have recognised habbits, if they have a resting period I see no harm in approaching them, but if they train in a circuit manner I would wait until you get an oppertunity in the lobby or by the water fountain, I think men take compliments better than women so if you aknollege their training I am sure that would be a good conversation starter :)
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've had girls ask if they can do abs with me before, and then they asked for a spot, and then I said she could take my number if she wanted a workout buddy.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    There is no wrong way. Just talk to me. If you're attractive, I probably wont even care what you're actually saying.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

.. "Hey I just met you"
    "and this is crazy"
    "but I'm doing bench press"
    "so spot me maybe?"
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    First off, big ups for branching out on my original thread...title format and all!

Answer:

The BEST way to be approached? With a gift of course.

If any woman...any...woman...came up to with me either chalk...or a pre-rolled spliff..my respect and interest in them would increase 10-fold, instantly.
  • Maryaly40
    Options

.. "Hey I just met you"
    "and this is crazy"
    "but I'm doing bench press"
    "so spot me maybe?"

Ya know, this could work :tongue:
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    I just make eye contact and give like a smirky smile.....it seems like that gives them the green light. At least that's what has worked for me.
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    First off, big ups for branching out on my original thread...title format and all!

Answer:

The BEST way to be approached? With a gift of course.

If any woman...any...woman...came up to with me either chalk...or a pre-rolled spliff..my respect and interest in them would increase 10-fold, instantly.

Your thread has been on my mind since it's post. lol There are a few guys at my gym (the regulars) who look at me, and no not creepily, like they want to say something or smile and then just don't. I never looked around at the "faces" on women until your post. I think I may have been guilty all this time of having "b!ch face"!! :embarassed: I'm so not like that, but I am shy and more importantly I am married. However, there is nothing wrong with friendly banter with anybody, not just the opposite sex, at the gym. I know that from some of these regulars, I may learn some things. I'm fairly new to using the free weights. There's one in particular that after 2 years finally cracked a smile at me last week. But since then when I catch him looking at me, he looks away quick :ohwell: So, that's why I "piggy-backed" off your original post to see how to act next. I feel bad for the nice, normal guys who mean well but get bashed by some women. Now I understand why they just look and it ends there, fear :frown:
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    ****UPDATE*****

We spoke last night about the weather LOL! Had some severe thunderstorms/tornadoes move through the area. It took over a year to discuss the weather! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Be direct, be honest, and don't hold back.

You only live in this world once. Do you want to sit on your death bed and reflect back thinking "Why didn't I when I had the chance?...."
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

What if I replaced sweaty with smelly? Increase or decrease in that percentage?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    B. Thats what I wanna do in the boy side of the gym. Maybe I'll try it today!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

What if I replaced sweaty with smelly? Increase or decrease in that percentage?

Increases greatly! lol
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Ask me if i want to go take a shower with you after we're done :laugh: