Trimming down thighs without putting on muscle?

Options

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    1. Your thighs will slim down as the rest of your body does. You can't spot reduce.
    2. Why are you worried about putting on muscle? Muscle is good. I'm assuming you're a woman and your legs aren't going to get massive.

Squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, etc. Lift like you think a man would and you'll see the results you want.

Totally agree with this. I've been lifting like a guy for 12 months now and I'm still a girl, lol. I don't have big legs, they are lean. I have two profile pics of my legs, one of my quads and one of my hamstrings and calves. You can look at those to see what a female who's been lifting for awhile looks like.
  • ag081067
    ag081067 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I agree with Scott, you cannot spot reduce. I am also prone to putting weight on my thighs first and my boobs last, but in saying that I managed to win 6 Miss Britain figure titles, Universe and Europe titles and runner up in the Worlds twice.

Weight training will shape your muscles, it is physically impossible for a women to gain muscle size relevant to that of a mans.

Do squats - minimum reps of 15 with a reasonable weight, leg extension and lunges and get peddling on that bike. Always stretch your muscles and ligaments when you compete your workout. I find Yoga is so relaxing and great for stretching.

Hope this helps
    Mary
  • kimchi84
    kimchi84 Posts: 56
    Options
    long distance running and lots of lunge and squats, i've always had huge thighs and calves growing up and doing all the things i just listed help ton and slim it down :) good luck!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I get thick muscle instead of really lean muscle and I have always been that way. I too try to do workouts that won't add a ton of muscle to that area in particular. It's not that I don't want muscule but it really stinks when you can't buy pants because your quads are too big for the pants that fit every where else or you get pants that fit over your legs and they are two or three sizes too big in the waist. That is exactly how it was for me before I gained weight when my thyroid crashed a few years ago. I had solid, muscular legs, they weren't fat!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    1. Your thighs will slim down as the rest of your body does. You can't spot reduce.
    2. Why are you worried about putting on muscle? Muscle is good. I'm assuming you're a woman and your legs aren't going to get massive.

Squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, etc. Lift like you think a man would and you'll see the results you want.

This! Toning your muscles are one of the best things you can do. 1lb. of muscle takes up a lot less space than 1lb. of fat.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I get thick muscle instead of really lean muscle and I have always been that way. I too try to do workouts that won't add a ton of muscle to that area in particular. It's not that I don't want muscule but it really stinks when you can't buy pants because your quads are too big for the pants that fit every where else or you get pants that fit over your legs and they are two or three sizes too big in the waist. That is exactly how it was for me before I gained weight when my thyroid crashed a few years ago. I had solid, muscular legs, they weren't fat!

If you can't see the cuts in the muscle they have a layer of fat over them. I have very large thigh muscles as my body fat % has dropped so has the size of my thighs. I can now see the cuts in the muscles. Strong sexy legs are much better than little skinny ones. expecially in heels. Be proud of those thighs.. As for pants opt for a wider leg. I wear stretchy boot cut jeans, low riders are also better for women with large legs and small waists . My thighs are 23 inches around. If you look at my profile page you can see some pics of my legs.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

so much sexism in one comment

?????
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

?????

i second the ????
    and i lol @ yoga
    sure yoga is cool and is good if you want to get more limber, but for improving your visual appearance?
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Fork putdowns.

But don't be afraid of muscle!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Fork putdowns.

But don't be afraid of muscle!

Fork putdowns are always good. I also read a description of an exercise which I think was something like "plate pushes" I started off thinking it was going to be something involving a 45lb weight plate, but it turned out to be an exercise performed at the dinner table.
  • T2trinco
    T2trinco Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Biking. It's easy on your knees and a great source of cardio.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

How is it sexist? I agree with it completely.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Most of my pants are too tight in the quads. The pants are the problem not my legs.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You may consider using a resistance band vs weights, or lower weights and a lot of reps. Not sure what your goals are, but I use Brazil Butt Lift and have been really happy with the results in my hips, glutes, and thighs. I'm a runner and have muscle, but by no means am I bulky. I laugh at the term "putting on muscle" because my body has changed to a great % of muscle, 17% body fat, but I have never considered myself to "put on" muscle, you put on a shirt, you build muscle and a lean body.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

How is it sexist? I agree with it completely.

srsly?Huh? i agree as well...i have been lifting like this for 10 months and my legs look long and toned....getting better every day.

19536421_1917.jpg
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options

?????

Perhaps she means the phrase 'lift like a man' is sexist. I personally find that to be stretch but let's go ahead and just clarify the OP meant lifting with progressive overload and heavy weights.

Which is, incidentally, how most men lift and not how most women lift.

Does that make it better?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

?????

Perhaps she means the phrase 'lift like a man' is sexist. I personally find that to be stretch but let's go ahead and just clarify the OP meant lifting with progressive overload and heavy weights.

Thanks. Just the first time I've ever been called sexist. Kinda odd.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options

This...
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

?????

Thanks. Just the first time I've ever been called sexist. Kinda odd.

I agree!! I don't think it was sexist at all. I try to lift like a man every time I lift!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Long distance running.

So if I'm netting 3500 cals a day, running will do the trick, huh?

They asked what they could do for exercise to lose weight without putting on muscle, not what they could eat to lose weight without gaining muscle. The answer is different for each, and she answered it appropriately based on the question asked.