Trimming down thighs without putting on muscle?

Options

Replies

• Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    For me, Inline Skating worked great. Especially the adductor and abductor muscles are toned pretty good. I skate every 2 days for at least 45 minutes. Also running of course. I my opinion, walking doesn't do much, since the muscles don't get pushed very hard.
  • imcatbear
    imcatbear Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure on this, but don't we all have the same "size" muscle when we are born, (girls and guys a little different but lets keep it simple). And then depending on how tall or short we are (since they are attached to bones), the muscle can look smaller on one person than another regardless of actual physical volume?

Anyway, a female who is short will look bigger than a female who is tall even if they can both squat the same weight.

That's my $0.02 on this. Oh yeah, and go heavy or go home-no point in wasting your time. Muscle is denser than fat and will always take up less volume.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure on this, but don't we all have the same "size" muscle when we are born, (girls and guys a little different but lets keep it simple). And then depending on how tall or short we are (since they are attached to bones), the muscle can look smaller on one person than another regardless of actual physical volume?

Anyway, a female who is short will look bigger than a female who is tall even if they can both squat the same weight.

That's my $0.02 on this. Oh yeah, and go heavy or go home-no point in wasting your time. Muscle is denser than fat and will always take up less volume.

I made a similar comment on another thread where someone was wanting to slim down their legs and a lot of ladies were lamenting their 22 inch thighs and 15-17 inch calves as "tree trunk legs". I have similar leg measurements, but at 5'11" with a 34 inch inseam, I look like a flamingo.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I made a similar comment on another thread where someone was wanting to slim down their legs and a lot of ladies were lamenting their 22 inch thighs and 15-17 inch calves as "tree trunk legs". I have similar leg measurements, but at 5'11" with a 34 inch inseam, I look like a flamingo.

I would wonder how much of that is just perception/self image. It's soooo hard to see ourselves as we actually are.

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I get thick muscle instead of really lean muscle and I have always been that way. I too try to do workouts that won't add a ton of muscle to that area in particular. It's not that I don't want muscule but it really stinks when you can't buy pants because your quads are too big for the pants that fit every where else or you get pants that fit over your legs and they are two or three sizes too big in the waist. That is exactly how it was for me before I gained weight when my thyroid crashed a few years ago. I had solid, muscular legs, they weren't fat!

Most of my pants are too tight in the quads. The pants are the problem not my legs.
    ^^^^^^^^^ love this comment.

I've heard stretching helps build more compact muscle. Don't know if that's just an urban legend or actually fact though...
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you google '5lbs fat vs 5lbs muscle' (image search) you'll be amazed at the difference.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I would wonder how much of that is just perception/self image. It's soooo hard to see ourselves as we actually are.

Don't get me wrong. I love my legs and I get complimentary comments from family, friends, and even strangers about them frequently. However, most of my excess weight is in my chest, middle, and bum, so my legs look a bit disproportionate to the rest of me right now, hence the flamingo analogy. The ladies in my family, including myself, get top heavy when we gain weight. I think my legs are awesome and I'm just waiting for the rest of my body to catch up.

It actually didn't hit me until I caught sight of myself in a full length mirror when I was at the mall a couple of months ago and I asked my mom why she didn't tell me that I looked like an ostrich. She said, "I thought you knew." Anyway, it was just a bit of hyperbole meant to convey that the only tree trunks my 21 inch thighs and 15 inch calves resemble are saplings. :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights and eat better, you will reduce body fat.

Squats, lunges, deadlifts, step ups are good.

I was 105 pounds and still had flabby legs, now I am 112 pounds and my legs are sculpted and no cellulite.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/598306-ladies-legs?hl=ladies+legs
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

This. I'm aware I have biggish thighs. From the second I hit puberty onward, my thighs touched, even at a scary-skinny 102 lbs.

But when I try on a pair of jeans I can't get up, I think, "Damn cheap foreign labor. Clothes are cut weird." I don't blame myself... other than blaming myself for still trying to squeeze my ample *kitten* into junior's sized clothing. I'd rather think, "How cool! My waist is so tiny!" than think, "Boo! My legs are too thick!" I'm not going to let clothes dictate how I feel about my body. I know my bum is pretty darn cute on it's own, so if it looks bad in jeans, that's the jeans' fault not mine.

I don't put my self-worth into what size I buy. I don't care if it's a 2, 4, 6, 8, 10... as long as it looks hot, I don't care what the label says. No one sees it but me and the cashier, and I'm sure she doesn't care, either. So I'll go up a size if I need to. I'll take a dart in the waist if I need to. But if it looks like poop, it goes back on the rack.
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you want to put on muscle!?
    I was wondering the same thing
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you NOT want to put on muscle?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    why would u want to do that... sexy muscular athletic legs are fabulous!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    C+P from another thread...

You need time, patience, a small calorie deficit, adequate protein and regular exercise including strength training.

I run and lift heavy. The added muscle has made my legs smaller and more streamlined.

In the photos below, the first was taken when I'd already lost about 20 pounds. At the time, I was I was just switching from about 1350 to 1500 calories a day plus exercise calories, and my exercise was mostly running plus light cardio-based strength training with 5 pound dumbbells.

At the time of the second photo, I was just about to start heavy lifting. Even though I'd lost 11 pounds from the first photo, my body shape was essentially the same. I was eating about 1500-1600 calories a day, plus exercise calories, but not logging on weekends. Still running 3-4 times a week.

The third photo is after about 8 months of strength training. I was eating about 1700-1800 plus exercise calories since October, still lifting and running. I had a month of almost no exercise in January while recovering from a stress fracture. The photo was taken after running a 5k, and after eating two post-race donuts and a half a pizza. :happy:

pink-bikini-front.jpg

Back view, over about the same time frame:

11pounds-1.jpg
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    1. Your thighs will slim down as the rest of your body does. You can't spot reduce.
    2. Why are you worried about putting on muscle? Muscle is good. I'm assuming you're a woman and your legs aren't going to get massive.

Squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, etc. Lift like you think a man would and you'll see the results you want.
    so much sexism in one comment

Sexism how? I agree with what was said
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    1. Your thighs will slim down as the rest of your body does. You can't spot reduce.
    2. Why are you worried about putting on muscle? Muscle is good. I'm assuming you're a woman and your legs aren't going to get massive.

Squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, etc. Lift like you think a man would and you'll see the results you want.

What?
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Nothing sexist about it. The last sentence is from the slogan of New Rules of Lifting for Women, which is : Lift like a man, look like a goddess. And indeed, naturally girls just can't get bulky, you don't have the testosterone to do so, but you can get really really strong nonetheless, hence is second point...

See, nothing wrong :p
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

?????

Perhaps she means the phrase 'lift like a man' is sexist. I personally find that to be stretch but let's go ahead and just clarify the OP meant lifting with progressive overload and heavy weights.

Which is, incidentally, how most men lift and not how most women lift.

Does that make it better?

Thanks. Just the first time I've ever been called sexist. Kinda odd.

I agree!! I don't think it was sexist at all. I try to lift like a man every time I lift!!

I, too, fail to see the sexism in this comment...
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with muscles on the thigh?
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

This advice doesn't work for women who tend to build muscle easily in their legs. Women are more likely to benefit from Pilates or yoga if they build muscle easily.
  • amandamaren
    amandamaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    running will thin your legs, but beware. i run 30 minutes a day and i'm down to 114lbs, however i ended up gaining noticeable cellulite on my butt and upper thighs. you need to be doing squats, lunges, and dead lifts as well, or you'll end up with "skinny fat" legs like me.
    i've started doing a dvd series called "butt bible" twice a week in addition to my runs, and its made a huge difference. its basically 20-40 minutes of various leg and glute exercises.