Trimming down thighs without putting on muscle?

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1. Your thighs will slim down as the rest of your body does. You can't spot reduce.
    2. Why are you worried about putting on muscle? Muscle is good. I'm assuming you're a woman and your legs aren't going to get massive.

Squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, etc. Lift like you think a man would and you'll see the results you want.
    so much sexism in one comment

please explain, I see no sexism in the above comment . . . I see lots of sense though.
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options

Most of my pants are too tight in the quads. The pants are the problem not my legs.

My pants have the same problem! haha
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit. You can't spot reduce, but with a deficit you will lose from your thighs (you just can't determine whether you'll lose from there first, or last)

Also, don't be afraid of muscle. Muscle is awesome! Before I started squatting, deadlifting etc my legs were quite flabby. Small, but flabby. Now they are ever so slightly bigger (I have intentionally gain around 10lbs since then though!) but much more firm and toned, and I just generally like them a lot more!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Long distance running.

So if I'm netting 3500 cals a day, running will do the trick, huh?

They asked what they could do for exercise to lose weight without putting on muscle, not what they could eat to lose weight without gaining muscle. The answer is different for each, and she answered it appropriately based on the question asked.

Exercise doesn't necessitate weight loss. Caloric deficit (i.e. good eating habits) does. Saying exercise of any form = weight loss without also talking about diet is, at best, an incomplete answer. Yet saying good eating habits = weight loss is a true statement without the need to consider exercise.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Fork putdowns.

But don't be afraid of muscle!

werd yo!
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    They want the fabled thigh gap IMHO.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Long distance running.

They asked what they could do for exercise to lose weight without putting on muscle, not what they could eat to lose weight without gaining muscle. The answer is different for each, and she answered it appropriately based on the question asked.

Exercise doesn't necessitate weight loss. Caloric deficit (i.e. good eating habits) does. Saying exercise of any form = weight loss without also talking about diet is, at best, an incomplete answer. Yet saying good eating habits = weight loss is a true statement without the need to consider exercise.

Yes, I'm not saying that I don't agree that you can lose weight just by diet alone and without exercise, but the question wasn't about diet and exercise it was about exercise. The question was incomplete, not the answer.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Long distance running.

Yes, I'm not saying that I don't agree that you can lose weight just by diet alone and without exercise, but the question wasn't about diet and exercise it was about exercise. The question was incomplete, not the answer.

Yes, the question was incomplete, but you can't always expect someone to ask the right question, especially someone new to this world.

I agree to disagree.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I get thick muscle instead of really lean muscle and I have always been that way. I too try to do workouts that won't add a ton of muscle to that area in particular. It's not that I don't want muscule but it really stinks when you can't buy pants because your quads are too big for the pants that fit every where else or you get pants that fit over your legs and they are two or three sizes too big in the waist. That is exactly how it was for me before I gained weight when my thyroid crashed a few years ago. I had solid, muscular legs, they weren't fat!

liz-lemon-eye-roll.gif
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options

Thanks. Just the first time I've ever been called sexist. Kinda odd.

I agree!! I don't think it was sexist at all. I try to lift like a man every time I lift!!

Me too....

Or we could "I try to lift like a strong person woman who knows what to do in the weight room and challenges his/herself"

Just doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Nor is as expressive. For the record, I didn't find the original comment sexist personally and think it's great advice.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    1. Your thighs will slim down as the rest of your body does. You can't spot reduce.
    2. Why are you worried about putting on muscle? Muscle is good. I'm assuming you're a woman and your legs aren't going to get massive.

Squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, etc. Lift like you think a man would and you'll see the results you want.

I don't see any sexism there actually, it's basically the exact same thing NROWL4W teaches, and furthermore, it's accurate.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I get thick muscle instead of really lean muscle and I have always been that way. I too try to do workouts that won't add a ton of muscle to that area in particular. It's not that I don't want muscule but it really stinks when you can't buy pants because your quads are too big for the pants that fit every where else or you get pants that fit over your legs and they are two or three sizes too big in the waist. That is exactly how it was for me before I gained weight when my thyroid crashed a few years ago. I had solid, muscular legs, they weren't fat!

If you can't see the cuts in the muscle they have a layer of fat over them. I have very large thigh muscles as my body fat % has dropped so has the size of my thighs. I can now see the cuts in the muscles. Strong sexy legs are much better than little skinny ones. expecially in heels. Be proud of those thighs.. As for pants opt for a wider leg. I wear stretchy boot cut jeans, low riders are also better for women with large legs and small waists . My thighs are 23 inches around. If you look at my profile page you can see some pics of my legs.

Yes, yes, yes.

Muscle isn't making you fat. Fat is making you fat. "Before you accuse the muscle of being the culprit, take a look at the body fat."

Read this: http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition
  • Changemyfate
    Changemyfate Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Walking for sure! I lot 30lbs. last summer by eating well & walking daily. I used to walk 2 miles a day when I was younger & that would help sllim out my legs, but now that I'm just a little older, lol, I walk about 5 miles a day to accomplish the same thing. I pared down my legs & hips and dropped a couple of sizes. Plus, it's a habit I've incorporated into my life and I will continue this for as long as I can. Good Luck!
  • peacexivxv
    Options
    Yoga or Pilates works wonders.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    My legs are smaller and more tone. I have lost fat and I....Zumba, kickbox, spin, jog, strength train in a group class, lots of squats and lunges too.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Forrest Gump it...run.

I used a stationary bike to keep the tone, but lose the flab. All the dead lifts and leg press exercises are going to build beyond what you are likely working towards.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    fat loss

spot reduction isn't real - just do stuff to lose fat
  • xtanea
    xtanea Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not sure why we women think it's so easy to get bulky. I weight-lifted 5 days a week in high school for 2 years and never came close to being bulky. I was toned, but never bulky. And toned is good!!

I agree with the people saying trimming down starts with what you eat. Then, any exercise that works your thighs will help, although you can't spot reduce fat.

Good luck!
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

?????

Perhaps she means the phrase 'lift like a man' is sexist. I personally find that to be stretch but let's go ahead and just clarify the OP meant lifting with progressive overload and heavy weights.

Which is, incidentally, how most men lift and not how most women lift.

Does that make it better?

Thanks. Just the first time I've ever been called sexist. Kinda odd.

I'm thinking she doesn't lift/lift heavy so she doesn't understand what you meant. I found nothing sexiest about it.
  • tberend
    tberend Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. When I'm toned, I look like I have the thighs of a gymnist, so I try not to bulk up that area anymore than it already is. With that said, I haven't been that in shape in a while . . .