Women: How much do you lift?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    that's what we are here for!!!

just keep going- it's okay to drop some reps for weight's sake. doing sets of 1 is totally a thing. Mine didn't get better till after I started getting well into the 200s. like I said a few posts ago- I thought I was going to stall hard core on 185.

Also- have you all tried alternate grips? I have a for **** straight grip- and I can't really switch alternate grips- I'm unfortunately (due to a wrist injury) pretty much locked into L over hand and R under hand for a alternate grip- but it has made a big different- my straight grip is for chit. LOL

Tried the mixed grip today after deloading a little for form issues, and I must say that was the ticket, it helped tremendously. Thanks :smile:
    I definitely will keep going slow and steady with my head up. :drinker:
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for about a month or so now.

Squat 110 lbs
    DL: 105 lbs
    Bench: 65 (actually did it the first time yesterday)
    Leg press: hit a new PR last week of 300. I was pretty pumped.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    that's what we are here for!!!

just keep going- it's okay to drop some reps for weight's sake. doing sets of 1 is totally a thing. Mine didn't get better till after I started getting well into the 200s. like I said a few posts ago- I thought I was going to stall hard core on 185.

Also- have you all tried alternate grips? I have a for **** straight grip- and I can't really switch alternate grips- I'm unfortunately (due to a wrist injury) pretty much locked into L over hand and R under hand for a alternate grip- but it has made a big different- my straight grip is for chit. LOL

Tried the mixed grip today after deloading a little for form issues, and I must say that was the ticket, it helped tremendously. Thanks :smile:
    I definitely will keep going slow and steady with my head up. :drinker:

YAY YAY YAY YAY

I really was fighting it - and I was like- meh I didn't think it would do anything- but now I even grab the 25 lb bar to demonstrate- I grab alternate grip.

good- let's see how the next month goes for you- I bet you will see a huge difference!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    DL - 75kg
    Squat - 47.5kg - deloaded from 55 - 45 on Monday :(
    OHP - 25kg (rubbish at this)
    Bench - 35kg
    Clean - 35 kg

This is after 9 weeks - started my squat with a broom handle with 2.5kg plates :)
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    DL - 185 lbs
    Squat - don't do anymore due to crappy knees - more body weight for squats specifically
    Leg Press - 360 lbs
    Bench - 95 lbs
    > need to do moreeeeeeeee
  • JoRocka
    Options
    DL - 185 lbs
    Squat - don't do anymore due to crappy knees - more body weight for squats specifically
    Leg Press - 360 lbs
    Bench - 95 lbs
    > need to do moreeeeeeeee

you are not the first person to tell me this- I don't really grasp how you can't squat a weight because of knees- but you can leg press almost 400 lbs.... that statement cannot reconcile themselves in my brain. the mechanics of a leg press are way more unnatural than a squat- so I'm not sure how that works.

I know a guy who's a trainer- very fit and very knowledgeable- said the same thing- I almost dropped my jaw on the dirty gym floor to hear him say that... I just don't understand it.

edit- not saying this to be nasty or mean- merely I actually literally don't understand it. it baffles me.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

you are not the first person to tell me this- I don't really grasp how you can't squat a weight because of knees- but you can leg press almost 400 lbs.... that statement cannot reconcile themselves in my brain. the mechanics of a leg press are way more unnatural than a squat- so I'm not sure how that works.

I know a guy who's a trainer- very fit and very knowledgeable- said the same thing- I almost dropped my jaw on the dirty gym floor to hear him say that... I just don't understand it.

edit- not saying this to be nasty or mean- merely I actually literally don't understand it. it baffles me.
    [/quote]

JoRocca, I think most people do not do the leg press properly, thus claim huge numbers on the thing. I actually HATE the leg press because of this reason... and it is an unnatural position. Might as well categorize it with the smith machine IMO. :tongue:

ETA- Sorry, I messed up the quote. I only wanted to quote your comment, not the other.
  • arielledarae
    arielledarae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Weight lift 6 times a week.... Squats, shoulder presses, lateral pulldown, skull crushers, lunges, etc...
  • JoRocka
    Options

JoRocca, I think most people do not do the leg press properly, thus claim huge numbers on the thing. I actually HATE the leg press because of this reason... and it is an unnatural position. Might as well categorize it with the smith machine IMO. :tongue:

ETA- Sorry, I messed up the quote. I only wanted to quote your comment, not the other.

no worries

it's just [ quote ] QUOTE STUFF and then bracket / quote bracket.. I never use the quote button any more- I just CTL C and CTL V then type the quote part- pretty sure that makes me the laziest- extra working person I know. it's stilly.

interesting- I'd like to do more research on it- I like the sled press- that one doesn't bother me- it makes more sense (you are physically sitting up right and you push yourself away - the foot plate form stays in place- so totally opposite of the leg press. I do like that- it's not CRAZY different- but I feel like it's a way more normal way of moving the weight- I prefer it over leg press-

i'll have to do research on it- I haven't yet- only just heard people say what you've said about it.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options

no worries

it's just [ quote ] QUOTE STUFF and then bracket / quote bracket.. I never use the quote button any more- I just CTL C and CTL V then type the quote part- pretty sure that makes me the laziest- extra working person I know. it's stilly.

interesting- I'd like to do more research on it- I like the sled press- that one doesn't bother me- it makes more sense (you are physically sitting up right and you push yourself away - the foot plate form stays in place- so totally opposite of the leg press. I do like that- it's not CRAZY different- but I feel like it's a way more normal way of moving the weight- I prefer it over leg press-

i'll have to do research on it- I haven't yet- only just heard people say what you've said about it.

I actually never use the forums anymore (except this thread, because of, well, long dumb story)... I get so furious with the ignorance and lack of interest in true knowledge that I would end up pissy and frustrated when I would try to help people.

I stick to the compound lifts, and mostly dumbbells. I believe in building up those stabilizer muscles and using a bunch of machines wont do that!

They also wont help me win big at competitions :wink:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    lol
    well if you are going to be in a thread- this is a good one I suppose.

I am on them all the time- my job is eitehr REALLY boring or really busy- so in the really boring times- forums. YAY.

And YAY for big compound lifts

what type of competitions do you do?
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    Powerlifting... But to be honest, its all been training up until next month when I compete in my first meet.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

no worries

I actually never use the forums anymore (except this thread, because of, well, long dumb story)... I get so furious with the ignorance and lack of interest in true knowledge that I would end up pissy and frustrated when I would try to help people.

I stick to the compound lifts, and mostly dumbbells. I believe in building up those stabilizer muscles and using a bunch of machines wont do that!

Most people want quick easy answers. This site is no different than anywhere else. I'll give basic advice but won't get into a pissing match with anyone because it just doesn't matter. I know what I do, what works for me and what level of competition I've been at and won't argue with anyone's bro science because internet opinions are generally worthless.

Summary, I agree :wink:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    YAY. I do mini internal ones through internet forums and stuff- I love power lifting. good stuff!!!

Well I hope you do really well- I'll be interested to know how it goes for you!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options

no worries

Most people want quick easy answers. This site is no different than anywhere else. I'll give basic advice but won't get into a pissing match with anyone because it just doesn't matter. I know what I do, what works for me and what level of competition I've been at and won't argue with anyone's bro science because internet opinions are generally worthless.

Summary, I agree :wink:

Most peoples egos are bigger than their desire to change... or do things the right way.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Woot Woot for the strong women!!!

I started lifting at the end of May this year. Love it. LOVE.

Bench: 165 Lbs (can I get a What?) x 1

Dead Lift: 185lbs

Bent over Row: 120lbs

OHP:90lbs

Lat pull downs: 90lbs

Hip Thrust: 145 ( just started these last week...love them so far!)

I cannot do heavy squats....and will not do seated press either....my patellar tendon pops to the side in protest. Very Frustrating. I found the hip thrusts, but they just don't feel as bad *kitten* as squatting super heavy....I do step ups and HIIT for legs as well as leg ext and ham curls....but really dislike the machines!
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just started going to the gym with my husband this week... I am lifting with him (first time this week). I have to learn to get my form correct so I've just been working with the 45lb bar, no weights added :sad: maybe I'll get there some day. Monday we did squats, dead lifts and calf raises and today we worked on arms (I don't remember what the name of the different things we did). I'm a noobs....
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Bench: 165 Lbs (can I get a What?) x 1

Wow, nice work!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I just started going to the gym with my husband this week... I am lifting with him (first time this week). I have to learn to get my form correct so I've just been working with the 45lb bar, no weights added :sad: maybe I'll get there some day. Monday we did squats, dead lifts and calf raises and today we worked on arms (I don't remember what the name of the different things we did). I'm a noobs....

My trainer made me start with a PVC pipe three months ago - we all start somewhere. You made it to the dark side - the hard part is over - prepare to fall in love with lifting! :)
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump