Women: How much do you lift?

Options

Replies

• LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Been off and on with Crossfit for the last year. Just started building my strength up so I havent raised the weight for half of these this week. Also, These aren't my maxes. they are my working reps:

Last week Back Squat: 115#

Front Squat: 115#

Bench Press: 75#

Bent Row: 60#

Last week trict Press: 60#

Last week Push Press: 75#

Last week Snatch: 65#

Last week Power Clean: 85#

Deadlift: 135#
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    um. none haha. I'm waiting to lose at least enough fat and just fat until i get down within my healthy range. I'm lifting my body fat everyday :P lol
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Bench: 165 Lbs (can I get a What?) x 1

Wow, nice work!

what what!!! thats freaking amazing...
  • LadyBugLex17
    Options
    um. none haha. I'm waiting to lose at least enough fat and just fat until i get down within my healthy range. I'm lifting my body fat everyday :P lol

You will lose fat quicker if you lift :)
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    Been off and on with Crossfit for the last year. Just started building my strength up so I havent raised the weight for half of these this week. Also, These aren't my maxes. they are my working reps:

that front squat is no joke! You're back squat has to be waaaaay higher then :flowerforyou:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options

You will lose fat quicker if you lift :)

^^^ that, and you'll maintain that coveted lean body mass!!! Dont wait, LIFT TODAY! lol
  • LadyBugLex17
    Options

that front squat is no joke! You're back squat has to be waaaaay higher then :flowerforyou:

You're absolutely right about that! and I'm excited to find out where I'm at. My prescribed WOD for today (in 4 hours when I get off work) is 3X3 Back Squat. I'm excited to see what I can get ehehehe :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

don't wait- you're doing yourself a disservice.

as forthe lady who just started wtih the bar... I was doing bar work last night- I've been lifting for years- but iover head squats are a newer lift for me- haven't done it for reals with real weights- so I use the stretchy bar for mobility and last night's goal was to just do the bar.

5 x 3 broke my *kitten* off with JUST the bar.

It's okay- we were all weak and young once. I promise. Congrats on starting though- you'll be surprised how addicting it is!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    2 x 10

Squat 125 lbs
    DeadLift 115 lbs
    Bench 85 lbs
    Biceps 45 lbs using the curl bar

I can only go once a week so I do The Firm Videos 2-3 times a week using 8-10 lb dumbbells. Plus I do cardio every day.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Bench: 165 Lbs (can I get a What?) x 1

Wow, nice work!

what what!!! thats freaking amazing...

thanks lady!!!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Girl...you would be surprised at how quickly lifting can change the way your body looks AND feels! Not to mention the AFTERBURN...calories burned in the 48 hours after you lift...!!!
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options

you are not the first person to tell me this- I don't really grasp how you can't squat a weight because of knees- but you can leg press almost 400 lbs.... that statement cannot reconcile themselves in my brain. the mechanics of a leg press are way more unnatural than a squat- so I'm not sure how that works.

I know a guy who's a trainer- very fit and very knowledgeable- said the same thing- I almost dropped my jaw on the dirty gym floor to hear him say that... I just don't understand it.

edit- not saying this to be nasty or mean- merely I actually literally don't understand it. it baffles me.

JoRocca, I think most people do not do the leg press properly, thus claim huge numbers on the thing. I actually HATE the leg press because of this reason... and it is an unnatural position. Might as well categorize it with the smith machine IMO. :tongue:

ETA- Sorry, I messed up the quote. I only wanted to quote your comment, not the other.

I know the leg pressers you're talking about. The 360lb is my 3rd and 4th set of 10-12 reps. I'm going down about 3/4 (about 10 inches from my chest). If i wanted to do half leg press i could do 500lbs or something stupid like that.

I like the front squat and squat thrusts more. I personally don't like squats very much but they are a GREAT exercise. No arguments. I have very weak crappy knees so i'm trying to do more stabilizing workouts.

aka......martial arts, side to side movements, jumping squats, jumping split lunges, gradually doing a pistol etc. etc.

Leg press is MUCH EASIER - I do three types of Leg press............wide, shoulder, narrow/one leg. It's just more stable and you can't f up as much. You should be able to do about 2/3x the weight you squat.

Just a personal preference.
  • Amy11108
    Options
    2x a week I do arms and 2x a week I do legs

Arms:
    Bicep Curls | 15 lbs | 2 sets of 15
    Tricep Push Down | 70 lbs | 2 sets of 15
    Shoulder Raise w Dumbbells | 10 lbs| 2 sets of 12
    Anterior Raise w Dumbbells | 10 lbs | 2 sets of 12
    Seated Row | 30 lbs | 2 sets of 15

Legs:
    Hip Abduction (machine) | 80 lbs | 2 sets of 15
    Adduction (same machine) | 70 lbs | 2 sets of 15
    Leg Extension | 50 lbs | 2 sets of 12
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I like the front squat and squat thrusts more. I personally don't like squats very much but they are a GREAT exercise. No arguments. I have very weak crappy knees so i'm trying to do more stabilizing workouts.

I hear ya. Although I'im not sure if you can do a front squat- why you can't do a back squat as far as knees are concerned. I do both- actually I do front, back, overhead, and a new bastardized zercher I just started last night I laerned from a friend- it's killer.

And definitely a pistol- that's a crazy good one too- i have terrible pistol squats- I use the cable rope thing to help stablize- much like a TRX- my unassisted pistol is rubbish.
    Legs:
    Hip Abduction (machine) | 80 lbs | 2 sets of 15
    Adduction (same machine) | 70 lbs | 2 sets of 15
    Leg Extension | 50 lbs | 2 sets of 12

hermmmmmm

me thinks you should start doing some squats or dead lifts- or lunges or something. ab/aductors are kind of limited use- you're going to get so much more out of a compount. Less isolation MOAR compound!!!
  • Amy11108
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I will do those instead :drinker: I'm a beginner with this so I appreciate that
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I will do those instead :drinker: I'm a beginner with this so I appreciate that

yeah- those things are 'okay'

but check out what's been posted? lots of compound lifts- rather than isolation stuff. it's not that those are bad (they aren't good or bad- they are just a thing)... so don't think you're 'wrong'.. it's just you can get A LOT more bang for your buck by doing compound movements.

I just did a big write up for someone- it's in the Golds x45 thread- near this one (or it should be- I can link it)
    Whoop whoop here it is
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1115176-golds-gym-xr45

... check out new rules of lifting for women- starting strength or strong lifts 5 x 5 (I think that's more advanced) I've seen some people recommend Strong Curves as well. I personally haven't used them- but I know several who have- and they are good solid programs for beginners. Don't hesitate to ask- we all started knowing nothing and we learned on our own- the hard way and by researching and somewhere SOMEONE helped us. people who love doing this stuff- they are happy to help - so ask away. :) No shame- seriously- we all began somewhere.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Leg press - 165
    Squats - 140
    (legs have always been strong)

Bicep Curls - 20 lbs
    Shoulder Raise with Dumbbells - 25 lbs
    Anterior Raise with Dumbbells - 25 lbs
    Seated Row - 40 lbs
    (my upper body is an embarrassment)
  • Amy11108
    Options

yeah- those things are 'okay'

but check out what's been posted? lots of compound lifts- rather than isolation stuff. it's not that those are bad (they aren't good or bad- they are just a thing)... so don't think you're 'wrong'.. it's just you can get A LOT more bang for your buck by doing compound movements.

I just did a big write up for someone- it's in the Golds x45 thread- near this one (or it should be- I can link it)
    Whoop whoop here it is
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1115176-golds-gym-xr45

... check out new rules of lifting for women- starting strength or strong lifts 5 x 5 (I think that's more advanced) I've seen some people recommend Strong Curves as well. I personally haven't used them- but I know several who have- and they are good solid programs for beginners. Don't hesitate to ask- we all started knowing nothing and we learned on our own- the hard way and by researching and somewhere SOMEONE helped us. people who love doing this stuff- they are happy to help - so ask away. :) No shame- seriously- we all began somewhere.

Yeah I did download the NROL and looked at the workout plan and was afraid. My fear is that since I am new I wont be using the right form and make a fool of myself. I have a meeting with a personal trainer so I will ask them to show me, and tell them I am interested in compound lifts right off the bat. I love that post about the xr45, very informative especially the gym etiquette
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yeah I did download the NROL and looked at the workout plan and was afraid. My fear is that since I am new I wont be using the right form and make a fool of myself. I have a meeting with a personal trainer so I will ask them to show me, and tell them I am interested in compound lifts right off the bat. I love that post about the xr45, very informative especially the gym etiquette

good.

don't be afraid- google.

you know the names of these things now- so go to the interwebz (YAY what would we have done without google and youtube before now!!) and check out 'squat form'

'how to proprly perform a back squat or a front squat- or a dead lift or a X, Y Z"

Watch a LOT. I say this because if you watch ONE video- and it's a for sh%t video- you won't know. If you watch a lot- you won't be able to pick up the finer nuances but you'll have a much larger understand of what the proper form is. i don't have any right off the bat to suggest to you- but start with a broom stick or PVC pipe- something that is just a bar. and technically you don't NEED a bar to learn the motion- but it's certainly helpful.

Don't be scared- learning is a process and it's overwhelming- but there is an tremendous amount of information out there- so you can give yourself a good head start just looking on your own (knowing the names REALLY helps LOL it's certainly hard to just google form on stuff you don't know what it's called!)

Good luck starting out- and go ahead and ask whatever you need- here or start your own thread- no worries.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    preacher curls- 30# 3 sets of 8
    dumbbell shoulder press-15# 3 sets of 8
    Thigh abductor and adductor- 100# 3 sets of 8