• rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I like strength training a lot more than cardio :D

Squats: 105
    Deadlifts: 125
    Lat Pull Down: 75
    Bent over Barbell Row: 65
    Overhead Press: 50-55, ugh. I have no upper body strength.

I do 6 reps per set (5) right now. Starting to lose my grip on the deadlift and my gym doesn't allow chalk. Don't want to wear gloves. Thinking about straps in the future. I started using a mixed grip but I need to cut that out and work on grip strength or i'll never do it.
  • Amy11108
    Options
    Yeah I did download the NROL and looked at the workout plan and was afraid. My fear is that since I am new I wont be using the right form and make a fool of myself. I have a meeting with a personal trainer so I will ask them to show me, and tell them I am interested in compound lifts right off the bat. I love that post about the xr45, very informative especially the gym etiquette

good.

don't be afraid- google.

you know the names of these things now- so go to the interwebz (YAY what would we have done without google and youtube before now!!) and check out 'squat form'

'how to proprly perform a back squat or a front squat- or a dead lift or a X, Y Z"

Watch a LOT. I say this because if you watch ONE video- and it's a for sh%t video- you won't know. If you watch a lot- you won't be able to pick up the finer nuances but you'll have a much larger understand of what the proper form is. i don't have any right off the bat to suggest to you- but start with a broom stick or PVC pipe- something that is just a bar. and technically you don't NEED a bar to learn the motion- but it's certainly helpful.

Don't be scared- learning is a process and it's overwhelming- but there is an tremendous amount of information out there- so you can give yourself a good head start just looking on your own (knowing the names REALLY helps LOL it's certainly hard to just google form on stuff you don't know what it's called!)

Good luck starting out- and go ahead and ask whatever you need- here or start your own thread- no worries.

thank you!
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    These types of threads are good because they can be inspirational. But, you have to be careful to not compare yourself to others. Reading through made me feel damn weak. I'm all excited about deadlifting my body weight eventually and you girls got it beat by 100 lbs! Whaaat.

Couldn't help but notice a bunch of you squat more than you DL which I found weird. *shrug*
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on my status this morning:

Stage 1 NROL4W completed, sixteen workouts in five weeks. My weight is steady at 148.5 lb, averaging 2100 calories a day. SQUAT: Started with body weight, two sets of 15, finished with 35 lb (total) barbell, three sets of 8. PUSHUP: Started on an incline using a bench, two sets of 15, finished flat, three sets of 8. SEATED ROW: Started with 40 lb, two sets of 8, finished with 60 lb, three sets of 8. STEPUPS: Started with two risers and 12 lb dumb bells, two sets of 15, finished with four risers and 25 lb dumb bells, three sets of 8. (Five risers got hard on my knees.) PRONE JACK KNIFES: Started with two sets of 8, finished with three sets of 15. DEADLIFT: Started with the bar (45 lb) two sets of 15. Finished with 85 lb (total), three sets of 8. DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS: Started with 12 lb dumbbells, two sets of 15, finished with 20 lb dumbbells, three sets of 8. WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWNS: Started with 50 lb, two sets of 15, finished with 60 lb, three sets of 8. LUNGES: Started with 5 lb dumbbells, two sets of 15, finished with 20 lb dumbbells, three sets of 8. SWISS BALL CRUNCHES: Started with two sets of 8, finished with three sets of 15.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Military Shoulder Press - 55 lbs

Squats - 85 lbs

Standing Calf Raises - 75 lbs

Bench Press - 55 lbs

Lat Pull downs - 60 lbs

Seated Rows - 60 lbs
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'll jump in …

Did legs earlier this week:
    DL: 115
    squat: 110
    Hip thrust: 95 (this is a newer exercise for me)

Upper body today:
    Bench press: 95
    seated row: (cable machine) 100
    bicep curl: 2x20
    pullup: body weight - 40
    dips: body weight - 30

I do most of these in 5 sets of 5; I also do it in a bit of a circuit (ie deadlift, side lunge, deltoid raises, repeat).

I agree with rieann84 … don't compare yourself to others! I lifted a few years ago (wow, it's been almost 10!) but am only 2 months into this new program. I'd be bummed comparing myself to people who've been lifting consistently for a year or more; at the same time there is still some muscle memory so the learning curve was much faster, so a new lifter who's been doing it for a couple of months probably wouldn't be at the same level and shouldn't judge her (or his) progress by mine. Either way compare yourself to yourself and celebrate your own PRs, not beating someone else! :heart:
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing 8-10 reps:

Squats: 185
    Deadlifts: 220
    chest press: 75
    calf press: 200

In a cut - doing higher reps at lower weights...
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I do 6 reps per set (5) right now. Starting to lose my grip on the deadlift and my gym doesn't allow chalk. Don't want to wear gloves. Thinking about straps in the future. I started using a mixed grip but I need to cut that out and work on grip strength or i'll never do it.

Check out Versa gripps!!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options

Check out Versa gripps!!

^^^THIS!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Hummmm, old thread revived, COOL.............

*backs out to go lift some moar!
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Still following NROLFW

10-12 reps

Squats: 150
    Deadlifts: 130
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    These types of threads are good because they can be inspirational. But, you have to be careful to not compare yourself to others. Reading through made me feel damn weak. I'm all excited about deadlifting my body weight eventually and you girls got it beat by 100 lbs! Whaaat.

Couldn't help but notice a bunch of you squat more than you DL which I found weird. *shrug*

agreed.

And yeah- I have no idea why you would squat more than you DL. My squat is rubbish- even if it was decent- I'd be still about 50-70 lbs lighter. I'm having a hard time stalling on the squat- but it's almost 150 lbs lighter than my DL.

You're dead lift (outside of medical/phsical limits) be your heavier lift.. I suspect a lot of it has to do with grip- and there is a certain amount of dealing with it as well as don't worry so much about HAVING to do all 5. yes- doing all the reps you planned is good. No question- but as soon as I started lifting the weight to failure- and then setting it down and starting over- my grip kept up- I REALLY struggled with 5 x 5- I'd be stalled out long ago had i stuck with it I think. I'm literally 100 lbs heavier than where my first grip stall point was. once you get used to lifting it- you realize you know what it feels like in your hand. Plus- so it slips a little- most of my heavy pulls- the last one I'm holding with fingers- it's okay. still locking out at the top. I might go back to 5 x 5 to improve my base and raise the whole 'base'. like remember when your warm up was body weight and the bar was your first legit set? after a wall- the bar is a warm up- and then after more of a while- 95 is the start as a warm up- I think switching back for me to 5 x5 might help me raise that base again.

I suspect also the number is a thing- picking up 200 lbs scares people mentally- I get psyched out at the top of my weights- that **** is heavy. go for it- it's not like a squat- at worst if you fight for form-you'll bang your knee. You aren't going to get squished LOL- I think that might be my problem with squats- being mentally under certain weights is heavy and it's a thing.

no worries- keep working at it folks. Love this thread by the way- it makes me happy. :D
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Sorry to revive this thread if it makes anyone mad but I really like it. I love seeing what women are capable of.

Right now I am doing this:

Lat pulldown: 120
    Deadlift: 200
    Push Press: 95
    Military press with dumbells: 60
    Inner/Outer Thigh Machines: 315
    Chest Press: 100
    Bi/tris: 20 each arm

I'm not really sure on my squats. Having a hard time with anything that requires an extended wrist due to an injury. Any one have any advice on this? I feel like many of my weights could be higher but my right wrist stalls out. Front rack positions are the worst and regular bicep curls are difficult too (have switched to hammer curls quite a bit).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 128sh, 37 years old been lifting for about a month. I have bad shoulder and upper back mobility and weak arms from many, many years of flute playing (I am a professional musician). Shockingly bad mobility actually.

I hurt my back deadlifting a few weeks ago and had to take a week off of all exercise(I am terrified of dls now) and am a bit cautious of squats, dl, etc

I know my numbers are low, especially upper body.

All are 3 sets of 10 reps

Squats 105 lbs (today :) )

Romanian DL 115lbs
    DL I balk because of fear at anything over 80 :/ hopefully I will lose my fear
    Bulgarian split squat with rear foot on step 35lbs kettlebell goblet style
    Step ups 70lbs
    walking lunges 50lbs
    Leg press 160 lbs (the inital pushup hurts my back so this scares me)
    Calf raises 160 ;bs
    Leg extensions 80 lbs
    1 leg RDL 35lb Kettlebell
    KB swings 35lbs (x15)
    Bent over barbell rows 60lbs
    One arm bent over db rows 30lbs
    Wide grip lat pulldown 65 lbs
    Underhand lat pulldown 70 lbs
    Seated cable row 65lbs

My chest and arm lifts suck big time

OHP 30lbs
    Flyes in various bench positions 12lbs each hand
    Bench Press 45lbs
    Incline Bench Press 40lbs
    Front raises 12 lbs each hand
    Lateral raises 10 each hand
    Arnold Presses 12lbs each hand
    Lying tricep extensions 20lbs
    Tricep pushdown 30lbs
    Overhead tricep extension 12 lbs
    Tricep kickbacks 15lbs each hand
    BB Bicep curls 20lbs
    Incline DB curls and hammer curls 10lbs each hand

Eek sooooo weak. I really need to work on my strength.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Squats: 88lb/40kg
    Bench Press: 44lb/20kg
    Leg Press: 120lb/54kg

(I'm still pretty new at this, I only started about a month ago...but I LOVE IT!!!) :smile:
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just done a weights workout for the first ever time, focused on legs and did

Squats 3x12 35kg
    Lunges 3x12 18kg
    Deadlifts 3x8 18kg
    Straight leg deadlifts 3x12 18kg
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I literally started these today:

Squat : 15kg
    Deadlift: 20kg
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: More than body-weight on the 3 major lifts.

I can do it, though I don't try to do it at every workout.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • diannajoe
    Options
    I love lifting!

Stiff-leg deadlift with 50's at 8 reps X 4
    Bent over barbell row with 80 lbs at 8 reps X 4
    Lat raises with 15's. 8 reps X 4
    Front raises with a 25 lb plate or 15 lb dumbells

Leg day is a different story I mostly am working on balance due to an ankle fracture that required surgery. I now have a plate 8 scews and 2 pins in it. I am having issues with ROM I'd say its about 90 percent but doubt I will ever have 100 percent ROM again. Also working on distributing the weight evenly on both legs cause I don't want to cause any injuries to my good leg. Anyways just greatfull that I don't limp anymore.