I'm so old...

Options

Replies

• nanamary47
    nanamary47 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I remember Tom Teriffic, Sky King, and The Lone Ranger to name a few oldies!!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    We had fairly decent sized cliff near where we lived. Part way down it there was a section of it filled with soft sand. We'd station one guy near the spot you needed to jump from to the top to hit the sand. (missing was not an option) Geronimo was the cry needed to make a successful jump!

sounds dangerous and fun...what great memories

BONZAI!!!!!!! was our normal "dangerous jump" cry. Usually into the river by our house or off the roof into a snow pile... Oddly, I've never fully broken a bone (that I know of...)

You would have walked it off if you did...

Hell, I got ran over by a tractor and didn't cry until I saw the girl that was driving it crying. I was 8. Didn't break a bone. Got some pretty awesome tread mark bruises, and a gnarly scar on my side, though.

And your parents probably didn't even think about calling a lawyer....

Nope. They were friends, it was a total accident, and I didn't suffer too much damage anyway. We even had a 45 minute drive to even get to the town nurse who was also a nun.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    PBS was our 4th channel and god forbid if the President was on that night....

cause he was on ALL THE CHANNELS!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I remember Tom Teriffic, Sky King, and The Lone Ranger to name a few oldies!!

Sky King! and The Lone Ranger! Yep.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm so old that when I was a kid and Dad came home, we all ate together at the dinner table and talked to each other about our day. There was no texting going on at the table. Oh yeah, whatever Mom prepared, you ate.

Then we got our homework done, so we could all sit down together and watch one of the three TV stations. We watched shows like "My Three Sons", "Leave It to Beaver" and "The Donna Reed Show." On Sundays, of course there was "The Ed Sullivan Show."

It was sort of the opposite for us. My dad worked graveyards, so he'd get home and make breakfast for and walk us to school, then go home and sleep, get up, make dinner and head to work. Breakfast and dinner were always as a family, and if my mom cooked it, you didn't WANT to eat it! Hahaha!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I remember when MTV played actual music
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Using microfiche to look up newspaper articles!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Playing Atari. Pacman, Space Invaders, Joust, Stampede, and Frogger.

Love Frogger...and Pit Fall!
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    M & M's had a tan and no blue!

...and when they came out with the red ones, my grandma wouldn't let me eat them because "they cause cancer".

The "M" in "MTV" stood for "music" and not "mindless".

Watching Bo and Luke Duke on "The Dukes of Hazzard", and getting mad at the neighbor boys for making me play Daisy when we reenacted the shows, because Daisy never got to do any of the fun stuff.

Kenny Rogers was super cool because he had both country and rock hits on the charts, AND he still had his real face.

My friends and I wore LA Gear high tops in bright colors with complicated lacing patterns, Rave hairspray, IOU jeans, and Shine Free eyeshadow in about a zillion colors. And Love's Baby Soft perfume was the only kind we were allowed to wear until we were in high school.

Speaking of colors, if you had braces on your teeth, they were silver, the rubber bands were white, and your retainer was either clear or a horrid shade of pink that was supposed to match your gums but really didn't, and you couldn't wait for the day when you didn't have to wear them any more. My kids now have all kinds of colored rubber bands on theirs, and one of their friends has a glow-in-the-dark retainer that really creeps me out when she removes it and leaves it sitting where I can see it.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I'm so old that when I was a kid and Dad came home, we all ate together at the dinner table and talked to each other about our day. There was no texting going on at the table. Oh yeah, whatever Mom prepared, you ate.

Then we got our homework done, so we could all sit down together and watch one of the three TV stations. We watched shows like "My Three Sons", "Leave It to Beaver" and "The Donna Reed Show." On Sundays, of course there was "The Ed Sullivan Show."

Throw in Bonanza and Sing Along With Mitch. The Perry Como Show, Jackie Gleason and Dean Martin. How about Flip Wilson and Rowan & Martin's Laugh In? How many careers did that launch?
  • momof2TONI
    momof2TONI Posts: 116
    Options
    Smacking the side of the TV to stop the "flip" and adjusting the wire coat hanger antenna.

My kids have no idea what I'm talking about when I tell them about the "flip" Kinda hard to describe.:ohwell:

I know what you're talking about. lol
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I remember when MTV wasn't. It was called radio and we'd listen intently and use our imaginations for things like hockey and football games.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    A popular breakfast cereal ad asked "Can you pinch an inch" on your waist. If so, you may want to use their cereal.

A small coke was 6.5 oz. and you got 5 cents to return bottles to the grocery store (not the dump) where it would be recycled by the soda company.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

Throw in Bonanza and Sing Along With Mitch. The Perry Como Show, Jackie Gleason and Dean Martin. How about Flip Wilson and Rowan & Martin's Laugh In? How many careers did that launch?

All of those. My fave was The Red Skelton Show."Good Night and may God Bless"
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I saw Moses come off the mountain.

Isn't that on every Easter?

Touche'!

But I saw the real one. :p

I sat next to Jesus in school. ;P
  • brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options
    Getting up to change the channels on the TV, and having to use pliers because the knob broke. LOL.

I remember being the remote control for my dad...with said pliers...lol
  • BillyC96
    Options
    I remember when MTV wasn't. It was called radio and we'd listen intently and use our imaginations for things like hockey and football games.

No kidding. When the Leafs played on the road if the game was anywhere but Montreal there was no hope of seeing the game. If you were very lucky and the weather was in your favour you might be able to pick up a road game on AM radio from Detroit or Chicago.

And I held the microphone of my reel to reel tape machine close to the speaker of that same radio to record my favourite songs. I always missed the first few seconds of the song fumbling to turn the tape recorder on when a song I liked came on.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    HyperColor t-shirt?
  • BillyC96
    Options

All of those. My fave was The Red Skelton Show."Good Night and may God Bless"

Yep. Red was brilliant. My favourite was Jackie Gleason though.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I remember being kicked outside to play, but then not wanting to come back in.

I'm glad I missed the bulk of what the youth has to go through today. I mean we had an NES, cable, and a PC (that good ole' 286) but it wasn't a 24/7 thing. I could never grow up in the social media age.