I'm so old...

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I remember when crushing pop cans was difficult. When you had a choice between regular and unleaded gasoline. When toys had nothing to do with movies or TV shows.

I'm an old woman, but I don't care.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    My dad MADE a computer. And it said my name using a magnetic tape. Not a cassette tape. I'd crawl around on the floor in his den, pulling the discarded computer wires from the boards out of the avocado-colored shag carpet.

The remote control was ME--"change the station to X" "turn it up" "turn it down".

I met my first 2 boyfriends on BBS's. And we'd chat online. At the time that was dial in with your boinga boinga sounding modem and hope 2 people weren't already on (then you'd get a busy signal) or that you weren't the only one sitting there waiting for someone else to come on. Then we'd type.

I had an 8 track tape player, but it was old at the time. I was SOOO excited when I got a CD player.

I was lucky and brought a portable PC with me to college. Damn thing weighed at least 30 pounds and was the size of 3 brief cases. But it was portable. Woo hoo. Orange screen.
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I remember when ''Lady Chatterly'' came on HBO after hours...or ''Benny Hill''..and I use to sneak and watch it after everyone was asleep. Nowadays..the kids just Google all kinds of stuff.

Benny Hill!!!! I loved him and Dr. Demento!!
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I remember having a rotary telephone with what seemed to be 100 foot cord so you could walk all over the house with it.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    HR Puffinstuff
    The Schmoo

I remember when we only had 12 channels, and MAYBE public television if you could adjust that bottom knob just right.

I would call my friends from a payphone to chat while my mom got groceries.

I remember the 1st time the Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony were out.

I was embarrassed to ride in my mom's 72 Chevelle!
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    I remember having a rotary telephone with what seemed to be 100 foot cord so you could walk all over the house with it.

Yes and how the cord would become permanantly stretched out and you would trip on it constantly. . .ahh the good old days
  • ambrwaves27
    Options
    I remember riding in my best friends "sh*tvette" (chevette) that had no working heat or windshield wipers and collecting pop bottles to put gas in it for "cruising".
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    I owned an Apple II
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Since when was getting "older" a bad thing?
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    my parents woke up my sister and me to watch Neal Armstrong step onto the moon!
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options

Yes and how the cord would become permanantly stretched out and you would trip on it constantly. . .ahh the good old days

Ha! And how we had to wait for the neighbors to get off the phone (party line) so we could use it!
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Even though I didn't watch the original series--I knew who Gumby was. My niece has no clue about Gumby.
  • ambrwaves27
    Options

Ha! And how we had to wait for the neighbors to get off the phone (party line) so we could use it!

Got me on that one. . .never had the party line
  • jgmom2
    jgmom2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bonanza
    i love lucy
    the honeymooners
    the waltons
    and saturday morning cartoons (electric company, mr rogers, and captain kangaroo)
  • jgmom2
    jgmom2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    the still sell those candy cigs at our skating rink
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    bonanza
    i love lucy
    the honeymooners
    the waltons
    and saturday morning cartoons (electric company, mr rogers, and captain kangaroo)

I loved electric company!!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I remember:

World War II.
    Victory Gardens,
    Ration Cards
    Playing outside till dark with the neighbor kids of all ages. Older kids looked out for the younger ones.
    Air Raid Sirens
    Paper Drives at school
    Walking everywhere cause you couldn't get gas for the car because it was rationed.
    No supermarkets.
    Bought meat at the meat market
    Groceries at the corner store
    Vegies from the Japanese green grocer.
    No butter, when margarine first came out and you had to squish a dye button to make it look like butter. Tasted gross.
    Taking a streetcar to downtown Los Angeles by myself and it was safe.
    The Ice man until we were able to buy a Frigidaire Refrigerator.
    The Arden milk man and Helms bread truck
    Green Stamps

Worked for the phone company and people lifted their receiver and asked for central.
    I worked for Pacific Bell and I was an operator on a cord board and had to answer emergency calls as well as long distance calls.

Boy was that a long time ago.:laugh:
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I remember wearing my velour top to the skating rink and having my smile comb tucked into my back pocket. I can hear Queen's Another one Bites the Dust still in my head....
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The kids at the camp I worked at were convinced I had grey hair. Which I don't. Very strange younguns
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I got my BA in graphic design and we didn't have ANY COMPUTERS. My first design job out of college: computers. I was right in between!