why waste calories on protein powder?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
Is it just me or does it seem like a perfectly good waste of 100-150kcal (more if you add milk) to drink protein powder. Not only that but most taste like a** in a bag. I've got a 5lb bag of whey powder in my desk and I only drink it if I'm desperate. Wouldn't it be better to spend your calories on a nice hard boiled egg, a glass of cold milk, or a handful of nuts? Please someone explain the logic of protein powder.

Replies

• StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe just that it's quick and easy...Or a good calorie punch if you need to up your calories for the day.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Sigh......this thread again.

What if to hit my macros i want protein without the Fat or carbs that would come with the other foods you mentioned? What of I need another 30 grams protein that day and can't stomach another chicken breast?

My protein shake tastes amazing Because I buy a quality product, shop more wisely!!

Why would a protein shake be wasted calories and milk not a waste....whey is made from milk?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i buy delicious protein powder (gold standard from GNC). right now i'm working on the cookies n cream but i plan to try the choco and the cake batter flavors yum yum. and 220 calories (i always do 2 scoops) is a SMALL price to pay for close to 50g of quick and easy protein that i won't run the risk of burning.

i used to add almond milk or regular milk but once i had to use water and i realized it didnt really make a difference in the taste. i also add fruit to mine .
    protein powder works for me because i'm always trying to get to my protein goals (130-140g) and it's the quickest, cheapest and most calorically efficient ways to do that. having the powder helps me avoid having to eat a pound of ground turkey and 6 eggs every single day :laugh:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I eat what I want, you eat what you want. Mind your biz and I'll mind mine. Seems pretty stinking simple.
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...protein shakes! I have one every morning with my oatmeal and I like to use my vanilla protein powder in smoothie drinks! I use it to but up my protein intake or to bump up my calorie intake without adding a bunch of fat or carbs! I'd be lost without my protein shakes! :sad:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was a sarcastic tone to the thread, but I was trying to decide which would be better eating that protein powder or the milk at breakfast. Guess I wanted the "science" behind protein powders.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    There is definitely not as much protein in a handful of nuts or an egg as there is in protein powder.

Some people are allergic to nuts. Some people don't eat eggs. Some people don't drink milk. And I know it's hard to believe, but some people out there don't even eat meat! So for these folks, myself included, protein powder is not a waste of calories. 24g of protein for 120 calories is a pretty damn good deal in my world.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    That is your opinion ("taste like @ss").... I think you haven't found the right protein shake yet. I love my shakes.. they are easy to make and carry with anywhere. I can customize my protein shakes to fit my needs or taste. Don't give up on protein shakes.

On a lighter note, if you can get your protein from natural foods, then go for it. I can't stomach the amount of protein I need, so it is easier to drink my protein. (Plus, I like the taste.)

:P
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Your favorite food sucks.

But seriously, as far as grams of protein per calorie, it's one of the most efficient to get protein.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    What was said about the needing more protein without adding carbs and junk and not being able to eat much more is why I do it. :) I want to hit my protein or as close to it everyday and I'm eating 1800 cals a day. Sometimes it's easier and tastier to make a protein shake than eat 30 more grams of protein. Plus, im a chocoholic so if I use chocolate whey powder it helps ease that craving too. ;). The protein I buy is delicious and I like it as a post workout snack.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    There is definitely not as much protein in a handful of nuts or an egg as there is in protein powder.

Some people are allergic to nuts. Some people don't eat eggs. Some people don't drink milk. And I know it's hard to believe, but some people out there don't even eat meat! So for these folks, myself included, protein powder is not a waste of calories. 24g of protein for 120 calories is a pretty damn good deal in my world.

^^everything she said! lol
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My protein drink is 23 grams of protein for 100 calories. That is an EXCELLENT distribution of protein to calories, lol

And the answer is that it's portable, convenient, helps me get my fluids and I just plain like it.

And I have issues that prohibit me eating a lot of protein-ish foods, so a drink works better in my particular diet.
  • Longisland2NC
    Longisland2NC Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my protein shake in the afternoon. I can fill it up with lots of fruits and veggies. A win-win to me!!!! To-each-his-own!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was a sarcastic tone to the thread, but I was trying to decide which would be better eating that protein powder or the milk at breakfast. Guess I wanted the "science" behind protein powders.

There is no science.

Whey protein is milk which has being dried into powder form with nearly all of the fat and carbs removed leaving just the protein.

It's 25 grams of milk protein in powder form, nothing more nothin less.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Sigh......this thread again.

What if to hit my macros i want protein without the Fat or carbs that would come with the other foods you mentioned? What of I need another 30 grams protein that day and can't stomach another chicken breast?

My protein shake tastes amazing Because I buy a quality product, shop more wisely!!

Why would a protein shake be wasted calories and milk not a waste....whey is made from milk?

thank you
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It's one of the few convenience foods I have at all. Less of a waste of 200ish calories than those Jimmy Dean sandwiches or something of the like...

Besides - I make a pretty mean protein shake. You know all those people who wonder how to manage a sweet-tooth? It's like a guilt-free milkshake!
  • alaliberte
    alaliberte Posts: 205
    Options
    I got a kick out of your post...some people have no sense of humor at all. Thanks for the crack up!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    For me, i wouldnt eat breakfast or lunch.. so its better than nothing at all.

Also, the nutrition I get is AMAZING!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does it seem like a perfectly good waste of 100-150kcal (more if you add milk) to drink protein powder. Not only that but most taste like a** in a bag. I've got a 5lb bag of whey powder in my desk and I only drink it if I'm desperate. Wouldn't it be better to spend your calories on a nice hard boiled egg, a glass of cold milk, or a handful of nuts? Please someone explain the logic of protein powder.

mine taste awesome. I wouldn't eat or drink anything I didn't like. life's too short. so you just have a bad brand/flavor, possibly.

today, I added some lite chocolate syrup and a banana to vanilla powder and skim milk and half a cup of vanilla ice cream. it was great. 470 cals, 37 grams of protein. and protein is good for you, first off. important, too, if you are in a deficit and want to preserve lean muscle mass. so if you don't get enough in your diet, it is a great tool to boost that number.

plus, it wound up being my lunch today, right before the gym.
  • Ashmcfarland
    Options
    My protein drink is 23 grams of protein for 100 calories. That is an EXCELLENT distribution of protein to calories, lol

And the answer is that it's portable, convenient, helps me get my fluids and I just plain like it.

And I have issues that prohibit me eating a lot of protein-ish foods, so a drink works better in my particular diet.

What kind do you use?