why waste calories on protein powder?

Options

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is easy, no need to boil an egg or keep milk refrigerated while on the go. I have a bag of protein powder in my car in case I'm traveling and need some cheap, quick protein I can simple add it to water(which I normally always have on hand.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well to be honest, some protein powder does taste like *kitten*.
    i agree with the person who said you get what you pay for. i've tried several brands of whey and IMO designer whey and gnc's gold standard are the best. others that i've tried have been far too chalky or left a weird after taste.

i've also had both on the fly in shaker and it still tasted OK, although i prefer blended. but there are brands out there that dont mix well at all in a shaker. i dont buy those anymore either
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I just found bio protien bars at costco, not only do they have 23 g protien but they also have 36% fiber, 20% calcium, 40% iron, 15% folate, 20% magnesium, 30%zinc, 25% copper. all that and I got to eat it like a chocolate bar. in the box are 2 flavors, double chocolate and peanut butter chocolate. They will be great when I'm in a hurry.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    To each their own. I eat what I want, you eat what you want. Mind your biz and I'll mind mine. Seems pretty stinking simple.
    chuuch.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I got a kick out of your post...some people have no sense of humor at all. Thanks for the crack up!

If this post is humor...it is pretty damn dry and bad. Keep your day job! :drinker:
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My protein drink is 23 grams of protein for 100 calories. That is an EXCELLENT distribution of protein to calories, lol

And the answer is that it's portable, convenient, helps me get my fluids and I just plain like it.

And I have issues that prohibit me eating a lot of protein-ish foods, so a drink works better in my particular diet.

What kind do you use?

I don't know about the poster you questioned, but Nectar (made by Syntrax) is 24g protein for 100 calories, and every last flavour is delicious with just water (I'm partial to the Fuzzy Navel flavour!) ;)
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    There is definitely not as much protein in a handful of nuts or an egg as there is in protein powder.

Some people are allergic to nuts. Some people don't eat eggs. Some people don't drink milk. And I know it's hard to believe, but some people out there don't even eat meat! So for these folks, myself included, protein powder is not a waste of calories. 24g of protein for 120 calories is a pretty damn good deal in my world.

Intersting - I, being one of those non-meat eaters :tongue: - never even thought about it as getting my protein. I just kind of looked at it as fuel to help attain lean muscles - thanks for the tip!
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I understand that a lot of you may get bored and tired or explaining the whole protein shake thing, but some of us are just curious, want to understand how it works and so on without having to dig through pages of threads (saying as this forum is very fast moving!)

My understanding (sparse that it is) is that protein is great for assisting in building muscle (proteins being burnt more efficiently?) however, are there any benefits to this sort of regime if you have a lot of fat to lose first (like me) should I try a different method aside from protein shakes to lose the flab before building muscle or are these shakes good for flab loss also?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I actually cant wait to buy protein powder so I can fit it in my macros I have a really hard time meeting my protein requirement. In august when my school money comes in I'm adding protein powder to my diet. :)
  • Cruzeleny
    Cruzeleny Posts: 21
    Options
    Sigh......this thread again.

What if to hit my macros i want protein without the Fat or carbs that would come with the other foods you mentioned? What of I need another 30 grams protein that day and can't stomach another chicken breast?

My protein shake tastes amazing Because I buy a quality product, shop more wisely!!

Why would a protein shake be wasted calories and milk not a waste....whey is made from milk?

thank you
  • wattssal000
    wattssal000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time drinking calories. I always feel like I should eat them vs drink them so i get more satisfied. My mind is always telling me less calories. This may be preprogramming from being anorexic in the past.

If i could feel like I could drink protien shakes and feel that it was benefiting my body and not gain weight or add extra calories I probably would.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    some of us intentionally bulk. Shakes helps with that. As for tasting bad, you just haven't found the right one. There are plenty that are great. Add stuff to it to make it even better.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs or drink milk, and if it's calories you're worried about, nuts have a lot more than protein powder to get the same amount of protein. Enter the trusty protein powder. I, unfortunately, don't particularly like them, but I've always believed that's because I've not found the one I will like. Perhaps that's the same for you. Or maybe you just prefer to eat your protein. That's valid as well. Don't worry about it if that's the case.

BTW - not all protein powders are made from whey (or any animal products), though that's what many people use. Since I don't do dairy, I don't.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I understand that a lot of you may get bored and tired or explaining the whole protein shake thing, but some of us are just curious, want to understand how it works and so on without having to dig through pages of threads (saying as this forum is very fast moving!)

My understanding (sparse that it is) is that protein is great for assisting in building muscle (proteins being burnt more efficiently?) however, are there any benefits to this sort of regime if you have a lot of fat to lose first (like me) should I try a different method aside from protein shakes to lose the flab before building muscle or are these shakes good for flab loss also?

Yes this is a legit question! I have often wondered the same thing.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Protein does not build muscle or bulk you up. Protein helps to repair muscles(from exercise) and preserve lean body mass. Protein shakes should be considered a supplement to hit your protein goals....they pretty much suck as an 'approach' to weight loss by themselves, if you ask me. The best source of protein is from real food...not a powder...the powders are just a good way to fill in the gaps, but not as a primary source of protein.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I agree with this one. I use it when I still need more protein but without as much of the carbs or fats. Plus I like it with my smoothee I make in the blender and it tastes great and easy to drink. Which reminds me, I am getting low on my Protein powder;) denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Sigh......this thread again.

What if to hit my macros i want protein without the Fat or carbs that would come with the other foods you mentioned? What of I need another 30 grams protein that day and can't stomach another chicken breast?

My protein shake tastes amazing Because I buy a quality product, shop more wisely!!

Why would a protein shake be wasted calories and milk not a waste....whey is made from milk?
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Your favorite food sucks.

But seriously, as far as grams of protein per calorie, it's one of the most efficient to get protein.

this.

ignorance at its finest OP
  • LavaRoushFiveOh
    LavaRoushFiveOh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like eating a big breakfast. I usually don't have much time to do it either. Therefore I drink a protein shake. I like them. Protein not only builds muscles, but increasing your intake can increase your metabolism. I do low carb, so I drink a low carb protein shake in the AM, eat something for snack, maybe a slim fast low carb shake or some cheese, eat a protein/fiber lunch and pretty much whatever for dinner, just portion it out to keep my carbs down to where I want. I have lost 30lbs since May 9th. My doctor suggested a protein shake in the AM.

You have to remember too that you dont necessarily need to be as strict as I am with my shakes, I use unsweetened soy milk for my milk and low carb whey protein. If I wasnt low carbing it I would use skim or 2% even and throw a banana and some strawberries in with the milk and powder in the blender with some ice and enjoy a real nice shake. I just want to maintain my fast weight loss. So far I am good.
  • suzysioux
    suzysioux Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Like others I did genuinely wonder why some people take protein powders-now I know.:smile:
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I do it when I don't have much to eat in the house. Just to get in my protein and not get too much fat. It fill me up with just one cup, and the fill lasts a long time. Or, when I'm in a rush in the morning and I am going to go for my walk, I drink it, sometimes while I walk. Gold Standard Brand for me :) French Vanilla.