why waste calories on protein powder?

Options

Replies

• darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    They are a CHEAP way to get 25 grams of protein in one shot for like $.50. Hardly what I would call a 'waste' of calories. Not to mention convenient when I can't cook up some protein.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are tasty and very good for you. They're a superior way to get the protein you need without carbs, fat and sugar. You have to buy good protein. Lots of junk is available. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    It sounds so simple when you put it like that. I love mine and drink it after every workout.
  • brendddda
    brendddda Posts: 33
    Options
    You don't even have to add it to milk.. Add protein powder to your yogurt, a smoothie, pancakes.. anything you would eat but want more protein in. I struggle with reaching the recommended amount of protein each day and protein powder is a huge help.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    In egg white protein powder I get 24g of protein, in an egg I get 6g. 40% of my calories (roughly 2000 per day) is supposed to be protein on P90X and I'm still falling way short every day! There's only so much chicken and eggs I can fit in my stomach without stretching it out...
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I eat what I want, you eat what you want. Mind your biz and I'll mind mine. Seems pretty stinking simple.

winning!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does it seem like a perfectly good waste of 100-150kcal (more if you add milk) to drink protein powder. Not only that but most taste like a** in a bag. I've got a 5lb bag of whey powder in my desk and I only drink it if I'm desperate. Wouldn't it be better to spend your calories on a nice hard boiled egg, a glass of cold milk, or a handful of nuts? Please someone explain the logic of protein powder.

it's just you.

im a vegetarian and I depend on that stuff to supplement my protein requirements. Eating nuts etc would throw my calorie intake over the edge. so i have to take a supplement.
  • momof2TONI
    momof2TONI Posts: 116
    Options
    I wish more people would list the brands they use that are SO delicious! I really want to use protein powder, but so far haven't found one I like very well.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I just found bio protien bars at costco, not only do they have 23 g protien but they also have 36% fiber, 20% calcium, 40% iron, 15% folate, 20% magnesium, 30%zinc, 25% copper. all that and I got to eat it like a chocolate bar. in the box are 2 flavors, double chocolate and peanut butter chocolate. They will be great when I'm in a hurry.

HOW MANY CARBS???
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder, milk and frozen fruit to make a smoothie. It fits my calories and macros, tastes good and I love the milk shake thickness of it in a much healthier form. Of course I'm trying to maintain my weight and am pretty active so I have a lot of calories available.

Why not waste them on protein powder? Sometimes I waste them on a small dish of frozen yogurt. I often have measured spoonfuls of peanut butter.

If you would rather chew your calories, that's cool. But as long as it fits our goals, some of us just like them.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Your favorite food sucks.

But seriously, as far as grams of protein per calorie, it's one of the most efficient to get protein.

Yeah, this. ^^^

I see sour cream in your diary. Now, if you want to talk about something that tastes like @$$... Why waste calories on that??!!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    quick and easy... vanilla isn't so bad, and u can mix it into things... and some people, like me, don't eat a lot of meat or nuts and need a good protein boost once in a while..... p.s i hate eggs

i also don't drink milk
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't understand protein powder because I always go over in my protein - every day. Maybe because I eat Greek yogurt and make Greek yogurt smoothies with fruit, and I like lean protein and egg whites. I try not to eat things that have artificial sweetners in them - and I think most protein powders do. Stevia in the Raw is my exception because it comes from the Stevia plant that has been used by people in South America for 100s of years, and I add it to my smoothies. I do know protein fills you up and is good for people who work out a lot, but I like to eat, so I usually choose to eat rather than drink my calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't understand protein powder because I always go over in my protein - every day. Maybe because I eat Greek yogurt and make Greek yogurt smoothies with fruit, and I like lean protein and egg whites. I try not to eat things that have artificial sweetners in them - and I think most protein powders do. Stevia in the Raw is my exception because it comes from the Stevia plant that has been used by people in South America for 100s of years, and I add it to my smoothies. I do know protein fills you up and is good for people who work out a lot, but I like to eat, so I usually choose to eat rather than drink my calories.

If you are following MFP, their protein recommendation is rather low. I have changed mine because of the activity that I do and my goals, I aim for much higher than recommended by MFP. 120-150 grams per day is much harder to fill.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I also prefer to chew food however, it's a great quick snack after the gym when I would otherwise have to drive 20 minutes, then cook or an easy snack that i find light on my stomach pre-workput. And with 6 meals a day, I don't always feel like eating.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The brand I use and quite like is Weider's Daily Protein and Fibre Powder (Chocolate flavour, naturally - WHY NOT?!) and it's sweetened with Stevia. quite good on the cals and carbs too. only like 100 cals per scoop, 13 g carbs and 14g protein. not bad at all! and really...it gives me that sweet, chocolate kick
  • Juliedungca
    Juliedungca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Milk.... has SO MUCH SUGAR per serving.... way too much server for me. I only drink the unsweetened almond milk stuff now. As for my post workout protein, i drink vanilla protein shakes... 24g of protein for 100 calories... can't beat that!
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Milk.... has SO MUCH SUGAR per serving.... way too much server for me. I only drink the unsweetened almond milk stuff now. As for my post workout protein, i drink vanilla protein shakes... 24g of protein for 100 calories... can't beat that!

Me too! I've started to drink unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk to cut back on the sugars and carbs (cuz even 1% which is what i usually drink is so sugary and carb-y!) and almond milk is only 35 cals, 0 sugar and 1 carb per whole cup!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does it seem like a perfectly good waste of 100-150kcal (more if you add milk) to drink protein powder. Not only that but most taste like a** in a bag. I've got a 5lb bag of whey powder in my desk and I only drink it if I'm desperate. Wouldn't it be better to spend your calories on a nice hard boiled egg, a glass of cold milk, or a handful of nuts? Please someone explain the logic of protein powder.

For ME: I have a sensory disoder which includes 'oral defensiveness' (hypersensitiviies to textures) and most mornings I just can't handle even the thought of chewing or solid foods. but I NEED protein and glucose when I first wake- Proien Shakes work. (I use almond or rice or soy with my protein powder)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    not a waste I love mine and would not get enough protein without them (without sugar , carbs and other macros being way over ) I use body fortress (really like chocolate and the chocolate peanutbutter) 15.00 for 2pounds at walmart and its 140cals per scoop.

normaly mix mine with unsweetened almond milk , some ice , and jiff natural peanutbutter (I use the magic bullet to blend it)
  • CurlDiva
    CurlDiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Um...off topic. They have cake batter?