why waste calories on protein powder?

Options

Replies

• AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    Im a student so for me every penny counts i only buy creatine from my protein which was 10 quid £ not to expensive I get all my protein from food but protein powders are good for a quick way to increase calls for those who work busy lifestyles
  • cbergoffen
    Options
    I can't think of any reason to drink that stuff. Yes, a soft-boiled by all means! Fills you up for ages & tastes good & you get plenty of protein from it! I just try to exercise a lot and watch my calories. No pills, powders, diet stuff. I use 2% milk, avoid cheese, all the usual things...
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously thinking about wasting some of my calories on protein powder because I am having a hard time meeting half of what I aim to get in protein at the moment. In winter it wasn't a problem but in summer I switch to photosynthesis. I should migrate south.
  • kristenegeorge
    kristenegeorge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually recommended protein powder because I'm a runner and workout almost constantly. So when the question came up, asking if I eat meat (which I do, just not often), she knew I would have weak muscles soon enough. So, I now put protein powder in my milk every morning before my run so that my body doesn't eat away at the muscles, and, instead, gets rid of the fat.
    Make sense now?
  • deucesarewild1
    deucesarewild1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's a delicious iced capp without all the sugar and intense hunger. LOVE my protein shakes. Seriously sometimes I have them for dessert haha
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Protein not only builds muscles, but increasing your intake can increase your metabolism.

Incorrect on both accounts.
  • Halie_Bird
    Halie_Bird Posts: 49
    Options
    It's weird how many people don't like meat...I couldn't go a day without it! It's also strange how so many people have a hard time eating enough calories. Wish I had that problem. Still considering trying a protein shake for after my workouts to see if it will help me stay full and possibly help kick my NEED for chocolate. I also don't usually eat back my exercise calories. Is that why everyone has a hard time getting enough calories? I don't think I can bring myself to eat over 1500 calories on purpose...
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is mainly there to help introduce amino acids back into your muscles after a workout. Amino Acids are what helps heal your muscles. Plus, you're not as sore the next day with the protein shakes. I, myself, make a blended protein shake in the morning for breakfast. 8oz water, 4 ice cubes, 1 large banana, 2 scoops of vanilla muscle milk protein and a couple scoops of instant coffee.....it's AMAZING!! And then I use syntrax nectar within 30mins after my workouts to help jump start my muscle rebuild. I know that it be expensive, but if you use it as a meal replacement in the morning or just after a workout, it'll last a little bit longer. Try looking at netrition.com for different examples and brands of protein powders. Larger selection than local stores. :)
    Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for!
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    It's weird how many people don't like meat...I couldn't go a day without it! It's also strange how so many people have a hard time eating enough calories. Wish I had that problem. Still considering trying a protein shake for after my workouts to see if it will help me stay full and possibly help kick my NEED for chocolate. I also don't usually eat back my exercise calories. Is that why everyone has a hard time getting enough calories? I don't think I can bring myself to eat over 1500 calories on purpose...

I do not eat back my exercise calories 90% of the time. Unless I am under 1,000 calories. I take medication that has the side effect of eliminating my appetite entirely. You'd think it would be awesome, but its pretty difficult to eat when the thought of eating is underwhelming at best and nothing sounds worth eating. I also don't get hunger sensations - I end up knowing I need to eat when my blood sugar drops and I feel like death and I am about to bite my husband's head right off because I am hangry.
  • thinnern2012
    thinnern2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30lbs since May 9th.

OMG congrats!! I started May 7 and have lost 16. :) Keep on, keeping on!!

Also, to the person that started this thread, I don't know if you were joking or not but a few years ago I went to GNC and got some protein powder for women (I think it was called Lean Protein or something) and it was sooo nasty I took it back. I never take things back! I was so p****** that they talked me into buying that stuff!

My husband has always tried to get me to taste his protein shakes and I'm all like NO WAY. Well, a few months ago he tricked me into trying it and OMG. It was Muscle Milk Cookies and Cream and delicious. He also had cake Batter, so I had to try that too! They are so good when they are really cold. They taste like milkshakes for real. If it's the taste turning you off, I would definitely try a different brand, there are so many to choose from. But if you prefer real food I totally understand that too. Peace.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    and I don't even spend much on mine. $15 for a 3 lb tub of body fortress at walmart. and it tastes good even in water. great with milk.
    [/quote]

This is the brand I use. I've had cookies & cream and vanilla and they're both great! I can't stomach eating anything before my morning workout, way too early, but I get shaky if I don't eat something so I drink my meal instead. It's fast, easy & the protein satiates me until my midmorning snack. I live a pretty low carb lifestyle so I mix mine with water or almond milk, but I've made them with milk for my kids and even add them to their fruit smoothies so they don't get a sugar spike from all the fruit. Just experiment with different brands until you find what you like, but I highly recommend body fortress from walmart!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Is it just me or does it seem like a perfectly good waste of 100-150kcal (more if you add milk) to drink protein powder. Not only that but most taste like a** in a bag. I've got a 5lb bag of whey powder in my desk and I only drink it if I'm desperate. Wouldn't it be better to spend your calories on a nice hard boiled egg, a glass of cold milk, or a handful of nuts? Please someone explain the logic of protein powder.

Not a waste. Great to hit macros without having to consume a bunch of calories.

Try optimum nutrition extreme milk chocolate. Tastes awesome
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey Protein in Chocolate flavor. Its not cheap but it is delicious. Its 130 calories, 24g of protein, 5g of carb and 1g of fat.
  • Halie_Bird
    Halie_Bird Posts: 49
    Options
    That makes sense. It does sound like it'd be nice but i'm sure it would get old fast. I feel like i'm allllways hungry. Need to find a happy medium =)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a** so I wouldn't know what that tastes like. Maybe you should stop buying the cheap stuff?
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    That makes sense. It does sound like it'd be nice but i'm sure it would get old fast. I feel like i'm allllways hungry. Need to find a happy medium =)

Protein helps with that :wink:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    i happen to like the protein powders i drink.. also I don't feel like they are a waste of calories at all. 200 calories for 25-45 grams of protein... or 150 calories for 8 grams of protein in almonds or milk. I'll take to powder. Thanks for your thoughts tho.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are tasty and very good for you. They're a superior way to get the protein you need without carbs, fat and sugar. You have to buy good protein. Lots of junk is available. If you don't like it, don't use it.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Um yeah, my protein powder tastes awesome for one thing... and it has 30g protein per scoop. An egg has 7g? And you can add all sorts of things to protein powder smoothies to make them taste even better. And in some cases there's enough nutrients and it's filling enough to serve as an entire meal.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had to throw out a 10 lb jar of protein powder once. It was just nasty. Ruined my smoothies.

I've since bought several types that I really like. That one was obviously a crappy brand. Some just don't taste good. There is NOTHING wrong with getting all of your protein from food, and if you're carefully managing your diet you can avoid using it, no problem. It's just quick added protein, a convenience.