Girls with large frames progress pics please ?

Options

Replies

• heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to be large framed, meaning my bones are big. I'm still fat but my hands are pretty bony so far and my bones are not petite by any means. There is hardly any fat around my wrists and I can feel my bones in my wrists without having to push. I cannot touch my middle finger and thumb when put around my wrists. Funny thing is my roommate is 5'2'' (I'm 5'4'') and she has a tiny tiny bone structure. The bones in her fingers are way smaller than mine. I am a firm believer in varying bone sizes (Frame) among individuals but I don't believe it to be used as a cop out of losing weight. Yes, I have a large bone frame and as of now I am still big and still working on losing weight. I do know though that I will never be "Skinny" because of the way I am built. Personally though I don't want to be skinny. I want to be healthy and I like muscles!
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and my wrists are at 7 inches. There really isn't much fat there at all. My life is a nightmare. lmao!
  • Roxie4195
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing! I don't think you need to lose any more, but then I think women look better with a little meat on their bones. I think we try to be to skinny at times and that isn't healthy either. Congrats and keep up the good work!:smile::smile:
  • ell0324
    ell0324 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This wrist stuff is nonsense. I have tiny wrists and huge hands and can easily overlap the fingers. But my shoulders are very very wide, my hips are wide. Same way my calf muscles are huge but my ankles are really thin.

This is me exactly! I can touch my thumb to my pinkie around my wrist.
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Today at the gym, I wound up running in front of a mirror and I just kept staring at my collarbones and neck muscles, clearly visible under my moving skin. You can even see 3 or so ribs... not when I'm standing still, yet, but when I'm moving for sure. When I sit on the floor, my bones poke into the floor and it's uncomfortable. When I lay on my stomach, my hips dig into the bed. My cheekbones are prominent. My hand and foot bones are clearly visible.

And it freaks me out a little bit, because I'm still fat. I'm 174 cm (a bit over 5'8") and I weigh 84 kilos (185 pounds ish) or so. I have fat on me. Plenty of it. In some places, I can grab handfuls of it. And I worry: when I get down to my pants size goal (size 8, I'm currently a loose 12), how bony am I going to be?

So, yes, I think that large frames definitely exist. I think we have to be careful to keep from using them as an excuse, but we must also acknowledge them for sure. As a result of my large frame, I have set my first goal weight for 74 kilos (163 pounds), which is right on the upper side of the healthy range for my height. When I reach there, I will reevaluate. I doubt highly that I'll go below 150 pounds, while someone with a different frame but my height could look awesome at as low as 125 pounds. My large frame was no excuse for my weighing 115 kilos, and it's no excuse for me to stop now at 85 kilos, but it might be a good reason to stop at 70!

Here is me, a few weeks ago at 87/88 kilos (it's the most recent full-length shot I have).
    480948_616281096252_557400381_n.jpg

Here is me Christmas 2011 at 115 or so kilos (250+ pounds) or 30 kilos (66 pounds) heavier. I don't really have full-body shots from this time.
    374617_566672108062_1797515948_n.jpg
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, if any of you large framed ladies would like to, feel free to add!
  • TrishaAnn13
    TrishaAnn13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love this thread and it's gone a little quiet so I thought I would post my update pics from earlier in the week.

My goal is 160-165 pounds (73-75kgs). Started at 277.2 pounds (126kg) 14 months ago and I am currently 183.9 pounds (83.6kgs).

A bit about my path so far...

Diet-wise, I tend to keep my calories on the higher side - trying to net an average of 1700 over the course of the week but focus on whole foods - plenty of fruit, veg, nuts, seeds, meat, dairy - try to avoid anything overly processed. I work out 4 to 6 times per week (normally 5), a mix of HIIT/heavy weights with my personal trainer, spin classes, jogging, cross trainer and circuit training.

Before

22jan20110352.jpg

Now

mejan13_zpsdc38b936.jpg

mejan134_zpsa1268f9d.jpg

You look amazing!!!
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I guess the wrist thing is accurate, my thumb and middle finger can't touch around my wrist and my doctor said I am large frame.
  • ssotogarcia
    Options
    Lg, Med, Sm? Hmmm im 6' tall and my wrist is 6.5". I wear a size 10 shoe. We all vary by a bit, bone wise, not much. You cant tell how big your bones are till you are dead and examined. Layer upon layer of fat, muscle, tissue, etc. estimates are what we are given. I was told last week by the Dr I am Medium framed. I have broad shoulders, narrow hips, long fingers, big hands. The weight varience isnt that much between frame sizes and that is due to muscle mass and fat disposition. Just work with what ya got! After ur gone, have a family member send ya a heavens text regarding your frame size, if it matters. 10-20 pound descrepencies arent that major. And should not effect YOUR perception of when you look "good/fit" if you are 5'2 and 120 pounds or 150 pounds, if you are happy and healthy that weight difference doesnt matter. Theres a web site where you enter your measurments and there are actual pics of people with the same height and weights, really broadens your mind when you see the different body shape even tho the weights and heights are the same! Good luck in your journey!

Big boned Sara!!
    Lol yea thats what i used to think!
  • oldsailor
    Options
    You look great.
  • jbhmac
    jbhmac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    so true! I think we all get a little caught up with labeling ourselves. My fingers did not touch on my wrist when I was 10 pounds heavier-now they do...
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 with a large frame. People always assume that I am about 20lbs lighter than I really am.
    At my lightest I was 120lbs. My BMI was in the normal range but I was skin and bones, and I was always hungry, tired, cold and miserable.
    I have set my goal at 154lbs. If I manage to maintain this weight for a while I may try to go a little lower, but not much.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think this is why the mirror is a better judge than the scale. Most "big boned" people will tell you that no one can guess their weight. I'm currently 195 but no one would guess that much (I'm 5'10", kind of a pear/hourglass shape). I don't necessarily judge based on the finger/thumb thing, since people also have different lengths of fingers. My wrist measures 6.5" now and 105lbs ago it measured 6.75" so not much of a difference there.

The BMI scale for my height has a 50lbs span (125ish to 175ish - give or take a couple of pounds). This is to allow for different body types and frames. I could never get to 125.bs... and at 145lbs my doctor said I was underweight and needed to put on at least 20lbs. He based that on how much fat (or lack there of) I had covering my frame. I was very boney at 145. Frame size is going to vary so much by person. I'm aiming for the top of the BMI scale, just so I can say "i'm a healthy weight". But I will use the mirror as the ultimate judge and I already ,know my doctor thinks 165lbs is the "best" weight for my frame. (And yes, I buy the BMI scale works for the majority of people with a few exceptions and since I am not a body builder I think it is accurate for me).
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    l.jpg
    iphonepics261.jpg
    iphonepics010.jpg
    iphonepics091.jpg
    65259_537273442972863_1647285072_n.jpg

SW: 225lbs
    CW: 138-140lbs
    UGW: 130lbs

I am still "big boned" even after losing 80+lbs. I have football player shoulders, a wide breast bone, short chubby hands, big wrists, thighs, calves, but small wide feet....everything about me is wide haha. I'm 5'4". I have 4 children. The first picture was of my twin pregnancy(last pregnancy) .

I'm sorry but I really have to ask and mean this in the least meanest way possible, but in the first picture, were you pregnant? (So sorry if it sounds mean T_T If it makes you feel better I weigh 265 right now and have aloooot of weight to lose). Congrats on your weightloss so far! :D ^^
  • Cupcake1015
    Cupcake1015 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Everyone looks great! Congrats!
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have pretty large bones.... Here is a before and Current picture. The current was actually taken today.

This is disgustingly disturbing....
    before315_zps15e2d728.png

photo4_zps2eb21d97.jpg
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been told that I have a large frame too and that my goal weight of 160 might be too low for me! I was totally thrown when my rheumatologist told me that and then a few weeks later a nutritionist said that too. I also wondering what qualifies as large framed. I'm only 5'5" so not very tall. I always used to used to say that I wasn't fat, I was just big boned, but I was just kidding! The next time I'm at my regular dr's office, I'm going to ask him about the large frame thing. I thought 160 would still be a little high for my height because according to the charts that I've seen, that's still on the overweight side for my height.

I am also 5'5", but back when I weighed 150, I was a sz 12/14, which was awesome, but the charts said I was still overweight.

I have always been told I am "big-boned', or large framed as well.
  • findgod2findlife
    findgod2findlife Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    you can check my profile pics.. i consider myself to have a large frame! but im loving it!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Is the wrist test accurate? I have long fingers so my finger and thumb touch and an overlap, but my frame is still large.

no it's not. frame size is about the size of your ribs, shoulders and pelvis, not the size of your wrist.

rather than trying to measure your frame size, get your body fat percentage measured. It's a lot more reliable (make sure it's measured using a decent method, some are more reliable than others)

large framed people have a high lean body mass for their height.

Me:

height: 5'1"
    weight: 130lb
    body fat percentage: 22-23%
    lean body mass: 100lb

the healthy weight range for my height is 100-132lb

my lean body mass is in that range!! my body fat percentage is right in the middle of the healthy range. My weight is right at the very top of the BMI healthy range, and if I put on 3lb to make it go into the "overweight" range, my body fat percentage will still be in the healthy range.

I have a huge rib cage, broad back and wide shoulders. My skinfold measurement on my rib cage is just 8mm, my bra strap size is 40 and my ribs stick out, so it's not fat. My shoulder circumference is only 3 inches less than my husband's and he's 5'11". I have definition in my shoulders and upper back when I flex them, so again, it's not fat. I have a large frame, that is all.

What concerns me is that a lot of large framed women don't realise they have a large frame, and aim for goal weights that are actually too low and unrealistic for them. My lean body mass is in the healthy range for my height, so there's no way I can get to the middle or low end of the range without starving off a lot of lean tissue, which would lower my bone density and put me at risk of osteoporosis. Unfortunately a lot of women don't realise that this is what's going on in their body and that they're aiming at a weight that's too light for them. That's why body fat percentage is so important, because it's the same regardless of frame size, and women with large frames will have a lower body fat percentage at a higher weight, and will be able to adjust their goal weight according to their body fat percentage, and have a goal weight that they will be healthy at.

Body fat percentage will also distinguish between those who really have a large frame, and those who just think they do (it's honestly hard to tell when you're carrying a lot of fat, but when your body fat percentage gets in the healthy range, it is much clearer)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!