What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from a business mag this morning - http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-26/gaps-athleta-looks-a-lot-like-lululemon

I recommend if you don't own LULU stock to look at Athleta by Gap - their sizes are awesome, they have plus and for me being 6'1", they have a selection of tall stuff too!

Something for everyone!! A great motto for a company to have!

As stated above, contact them. If there is enough interest and it's profitable they might add petite & plus sizes to their offering. I honestly think companies have the right to build their company and offer products they choose. Consumers have the right to in turn vote with their money by buying or not buying them.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    What dos Lane Bryant have against skinny people?
    Same difference. It is pure and simple market.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree. Don't really know how to really get into it but I can see why a store all about fitness clothing might stop at a certain size. It's all about marketing and selling.

My workout wear consists of mostly tshirts I have cut and comfy shorts. I might get something cute every once in a while because it puts me in a better mood while working out but when I was bigger, I just wore tshirts all the time. I'd hate to spend so much money there on clothing until I was at a size I planned on maintaining. Even now I refuse to buy into all the fitness wear fashion being at a size I plan on staying around.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I only ever see women in Lululemon around the Highland Park area here in Dallas. Which means they are rich enough to spend all day being skinny blonde trophy wives and little else. That is Lululemon's core demographic from all appearances. And they can do that if they want. Capitalism, see. Other companies cater to us real folk.

There are cute clothes in a larger variety of sizes in many other places. I've never shopped at Lululemon because I didn't see the point in buying an overpriced swatch of spandex that I'm just going to douse with my stank sweat!

*shrug*
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    The only thing that used to frustrate me was when I couldn't find sports bras in the bigger sizes. That's the only thing that bigger people NEED when exercising. Wearing cute clothing is optional.

I have a Lorna Jane outfit (similar prices to Lulalemon and similar quality) that I won. But I wouldn't buy them even at a 16. (Unless they were on sale) because I don't plan on being this size. When I get to a 12 I'm treating myself to a new outfit from there. (Well their sale store!) I'm not wasting money on clothes that won't fit soon.

I can also say as someone who never fit into the 'normal' shops its SUCH an achievement to fit into them now!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

WHY is the plus size section not the same clothes, but bigger? Why does the style have to change from cute and trendy to mostly blah? Frustrates me terribly.

TOTALLY AGREE! I have always wondered this. Why can't the styles be the same? Ugh! I finally got to the point where I can now shop in the misses department and it's like a whole new world!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Not all stores cater to all sizes and shapes. Some stores target only a certain group of people. Like stores that sell only women's or mens, or stores that sell only petites, or only tall. Just like some stores that only sell plus size!

I wouldn't let yourself get too bothered about this Lulu Lemon store. Try looking elsewhere. I'm not defending them necessarily, but more saying that not all stores will cater to small and plus sized. I used to be plus sized, so I understand your frustration. But I wouldn't go into the stores I used to shop in (Plus size) and expect to find my sizes that I wear now.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I get my gym shorts and shirts at Target and JCP. Why should I buy overprice crap when all I am going to do is sweat in it?
    At the Y I go, my own "survey" concludes that the vast majority of YMCA members agree with me.
    Champion has a comfortable and affordable line of gear for men and women.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    my workout gear consists of:

Sweat pants
    Old shirts
    Free shirts (for participating in certain events, etc.)

because i think it's silly to pay extra for clothes that i'm going to sweat my *kitten* of in and only wear for an hour or two each day

^This! The only thing I will splurge on is a good pair of sneakers so my feet aren't killing me.
  • loveyourbutt
    Options
    The lululemon sales staff must participate in weekly trainings that the company pays for to ensure that they are all at their peak fitness levels. While this is all good and healthy many staff members do get snobby when someone who is not in perfect shape comes into the store. The amount of times I've been snobbed by the staff are countless. I've been practising Moksha yoga for about a year now and I know how to pronounce it and the sales associate said loudly "Oh you meant MOKSHA! Did you just start?"

The company makes fantastic clothes but not with every consumer in mind. Before I hit the 12 at Lulu I really like Reitmans and Peningtons in my area (look them up online, comfy goodness and a LOT cheaper too!)

Anyways, that company better watch itself or its own staff members are going to drag it through the mud.
  • flutternfly
    Options
    Champion brand sold at Target has a premium line the last 2 seasons that many of the items are modelled after LuLu Lemon, but 1/3 to 1/2 the price. I love the stuff.

My goal when I find my final weight is to buy a full LuLu Lemon outfit. I'm not spending that kind of money until then.

I agree it's frustrating but I know they aren't the only athletic wear company that does this either.
  • lovegrace21
    lovegrace21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I only ever see women in Lululemon around the Highland Park area here in Dallas. Which means they are rich enough to spend all day being skinny blonde trophy wives and little else. That is Lululemon's core demographic from all appearances. And they can do that if they want. Capitalism, see. Other companies cater to us real folk.

There are cute clothes in a larger variety of sizes in many other places. I've never shopped at Lululemon because I didn't see the point in buying an overpriced swatch of spandex that I'm just going to douse with my stank sweat!

*shrug*

Well, I happen to live not far from there...and I also happen to be a blonde and a SAHM and I wear Lululemon....but guess what?! I actually workout and lift heavy *kitten* weights! There is nothing wrong with looking good and wearing cute clothes that I worked DAMN HARD for.
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    They don't cater to vertically challenged people either! Can't get a pair of work out pants there unless they are shortened....not worth the trouble or the crazy inflated prices.

I would shop somewhere else and let the elite fashion snobs shop there

The vertically challenged comments ALWAYS crack me up!!!! I'm tall, and have no clue what Lululemon is but I can attest to that fact that "they" (being the big corporate Gods of retail) do not make workout clothes for tall people either. Most Everything is too short. It hits in a weird spot on my leg that makes me feel like I'm even bigger than I really am. And I don't have the option of taking them up. I have pulled hems out before. But that doesn't always work. I've bought men's stuff before, but that's no fun...I like pinks, blues, greens and all the fun stuff too! Anyway, my point is, I've gotten over that vertical challenge and focused on making my workouts the best I can...in ugly sweats, or men's pants or pants with the hems ripped out, or in capris...I figured out that it's not about the fashion, it's about making myself better. And if I have pretty clothes on (Workout gear or not) I'm more prone to not work out to my fullest potential. Who cares if you are a sweaty mess in grubby clothes?

And that being said, I think it is totally unacceptable for sales people to make you feel unwelcome at their store (kind of reminds me of the scene from Pretty Woman). You could be in there, spending money (which is their ultimate goal) to buy a gift for someone or to buy an inspirational piece for yourself, or as you were to hang out with a loving friend who you enjoy spending time with. How rude! People like that are such bullies, and usually incredibly self centered and have no clue how hurtful they are being to you! You are a wonderful person, with feelings and you deserve to be treated respectfully!
  • luluplussize
    Options
    QUOTE:

You should send them a letter via facebook, email, twitter, etc. I really like the clothes at RW & Co. but they do not sell petite sizes (I'm only 5'0'') so I many of their items are too long. When I asked a clerk if they had a petite section she said they did not but that I should voice my opinion to the company because MANY people would like that option. She continued to say that because of customer opinions, the company launched a plus size section. So, I wrote to the company and they told me, due to popular demand, they are considering it :) Maybe LuluLemon needs to hear from the customers :)

^^^^ THIS... tell them! How can companies know that plus-sized women want IN, unless they are told. Heck, start a campaign!

--

Hey! I am starting a campaign for this. Would you get behind it and mind spreading the word?? :Dhttp://www.change.org/petitions/lululemon-athletica-include-plus-size-models
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

*shrug*

Well, I happen to live not far from there...and I also happen to be a blonde and a SAHM and I wear Lululemon....but guess what?! I actually workout and lift heavy *kitten* weights! There is nothing wrong with looking good and wearing cute clothes that I worked DAMN HARD for.

First, never said there was anything wrong with looking good. Don't know how you translated "trophy wife" to SAHM. They are not the same thing, by any means. Don't know why you're projecting and getting so defensive here.

You would only see yourself in these statements if you are insecure.

But to be completely honest, if you're a SAHM, you did not work hard for those cute clothes. Your husband did. Money buys Lululemon, not heavy *kitten* weights.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    bump :smokin:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think you're making an issue where there is none. They aren't saying anything is "unacceptable"..........they, like LOTS AND LOTS of other clothing retailers just don't make bigger sizes. It costs more and it's not worth the cost to them for the few items of that size they'd sell (in comparison to the volume of more mainstream size clothing they'd sell). Bottom line, if it generated enough income and/or if they had enough demand........they'd do it. But it won't make them money so they don't. The end.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 4 and I wouldn't buy the stuff - the prices are outrageous.

ETA: I like looking "cute" when I workout or run but I can always find name brand stuff on clearance that suits me just fine!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Need to gripe about this for a moment but going to be as fair as I can be in my observations.

Truth (as I see it): Lulu lemon is a company that is not just selling a product but trying to portray a specific lifestyle of health and fitness. (I have even heard that to be employed by them you must meet a certain fitness/health criteria, although that is just hearsay, can't say for sure) and this is okay; this is not a bad thing.

Second truth (as I see it): Spandex is not a BIG girl/guy's friend. I get it. I can be honest with myself. Spandex and tight fitted clothing is not generally the most attractive articles of clothing on a person of larger proportions.

So what's bothering me?

A majority of people (admittedly not all) that shop at lulu lemon and stores like it are not buying this trendy work out gear to go work out; they are buying it to look "fashionable" and "hip".
    I, as well as many other overwieght people (like all the people on MFP) want to purchase work out wear not because of a fashion statement but because we genuinely want to get fit! I feel like my true effort to get fit and get healthy and lose weight fits better within the lulu lemon "mission/statement" than those who just want to look fashionable. (Having said that, i have nothing against those who want to purchase this workout wear just for fun and for comfort).

So why is it that their female products only go up to a size 12? Why is that I am unable to buy clothing that is appropriate and specifically suited for working out? Why is being over a size 12 unacceptable to them? (NOT TO MENTION that their male products go up to a size XXL... but that starts a whole other argument about "Society Driven & Accepted gender body images")

I know i can shop anywhere and that I do not need to buy lulu lemon clothing... but to be honest, in general, finding appropriate workout wear in plus sizes is very difficult. At least where I live.

I know I am singling out lulu lemon since MOST producers of work out wear are of the same opinion (No Spandex for fatties lol even though not all work out wear is tight fitting or made of spandex) but I am really put off by a company that is trying to "project an image and lifestyle" of fitness, yet their products are prejudice against those who really want to get fit, who want to better their lives.

Sure slim people work out too, I'm not suggesting otherwise, I just don't understand why it is "unacceptable" for an overweight person to want to purchsae workout wear.

I will also admit that part of my feelings toward lulu lemon are not just because of their products but because of some of their staff (which is not neccissarily something that can be pegged on the company)... every time i have walked into a lulu lemon store here (usualy with a friend who is shopping there), I get strange looks from their staff memebers. They look at you with that look that says "ummm these clothes are not for you; you won't fit. I'm not sure why you are here" and to be fair, this is something I have felt in more than just lulu lemon stores... many retail shop that don't sell Plus sizes have employess that will look at you a little strange when you are in there.

I guess I just finder it harder to swallow when it is coming from a retailer that is specifically targeting work out gear.

Am I alone here or are my feelings justified?

When I was obese I just wore big under armour t-shirts and shorts. I had Athletica and Title nine catalogs that were for tiny fit women as well. I just put up pictures of the clothes up around my house and decided I would wear that stuff someday. It was a constant reminder and motivator for me. I always wanted to be one of the girls in the catalog, if not in the catalog then in my real life. In the meantime I wore my big baggy comfortable clothes and didn't gross everyone out with my fat showing. It worked for me.

Now I can wear the Athletica clothes and I'm having the time of my life at almost age 52! LOL I had the picture of this dress up for over a year and when I reached my goal I bought it.

Roberta.jpg
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    That store is a total rip-off anyway. I'm a size 6 but I feel self-conscious in there because I look at every price tag and know I can't afford to drop $90 on one pair of workout pants. I could get 2 or 3 pair for that amount! I get all my workout gear from Academy, Target, Old Navy, etc. It's really not worth it so you're not missing anything. They have a very specific market and there's nothing wrong with that, so don't let it bother you. I'm really tall with long legs and I find most stores don't sell jeans that are long enough for me, so I go to the ones that do.

There are lots of quality athletic brands that make plus size workout gear at a good price - Champion is a good one, so is Old Navy. Well-priced and good quality. I workout 4-5 days a week and I have some $15 Champion tops that have been washed hundreds of times and still look great.

http://www.championusa.com/workout-clothes/women/plus-size

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=5647&nsc