August Cycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I would love to join your challenge. I'm a newbie to cycling. I just started to bike as cross training for my running. I injured my knee back in May after a race. I find the cycling to really help with taking the impact off my knee but still helping with my cardio.

Yesterday I did 12 miles in 55 minutes.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Stationary bicyclist here: Today 30 minutes for 185 calories burned
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Training diary from start of the year says 500km for August - so we'll call it 300 miles again...

1/8/2012 - 30.14miles - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/205412607

total 30.14 miles

---
    exercise.png
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this. I have just started riding and like it so much more than the treadmill! I don't have the skills or stamina yet that many posters to but I'm in for 100 miles. I really think I can do a lot more but I'll make this for my start.
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    175 kilometres on the road bike this week so far.
    125 minutes on the mountain bike.
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've had my road bike since May and I love it :) I average 10-12 miles each time I ride, and average 14-15 mph.
    I'm going to commit to riding 200 miles this month.

I'm new to myfitnesspal. Is there somewhere that you log your miles for the challenge?
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    I've had my road bike since May and I love it :) I average 10-12 miles each time I ride, and average 14-15 mph.
    I'm going to commit to riding 200 miles this month.

I'm new to myfitnesspal. Is there somewhere that you log your miles for the challenge?

Welcome. Some use Tickerfactory.com to set up a measuring visual. But most will just report their rides by posting and keeping up with them. I have also used PedalMyBike.com as well.
  • loadsandloads
    Options
    Hopefully this works

exercise.png
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    A very good book to read is Base Building for Cyclists by Thomas Chapple. If you want to burn fat he describes how going slow versus fast all the time actually burns fat more efficiently. Once you begin to push and go fast your rate of carbohydrate burning increases and fat burning decreases. His philosophy is ride slow to go fast. I use a HRM to stay in my fat burning zones. Yes, I like to go fast and he will teach you how to do that as well. Highly recommended.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Daily goal 15
    Daily avg. 13
    Monthly goal 400
    Total so far 26

8/1 - 10
    8/2 - 16
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Aug 1 - 27 miles
    Aug 2 - 26 miles - aug 3 planned rest day

Total for aug: 53 miles
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    not going to get some propper miles in till near end of month but I hope to hit a minimum of 450 miles

so far 40/450
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    Sweet, I love biking. I am planning on doing around 15 miles today.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this. I have just started riding and like it so much more than the treadmill! I don't have the skills or stamina yet that many posters to but I'm in for 100 miles. I really think I can do a lot more but I'll make this for my start.

Welcome. Ride a little everyday without trying to go fast. Speed will come.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Training diary from start of the year says 500km for August - so we'll call it 300 miles again...

1/8/2012 - 30.14 miles - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/205412607
    2/8/2012 - 30.06 miles - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/205774024

total 60.20 miles

---
    exercise.png
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    8/1/2012:
    5 min. warm-up
    20 min of 1 on, 1 off intervals (top wattage was 225 watts...need to get back to 250 watts for 30 minutes).
    5 min cool down

Total milage was 7
  • oppie407
    Options
    I'm in, I started yesterday. Right now it is just a stationary bike at Anytime, but I did 7 miles yesterday and 7 miles today. 200 miles in August is the challenge right?
  • loadsandloads
    Options

exercise.png
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    August 2, 2012: 10.12 miles in 43 minutes. Hooray! I watched an episode of cupcake wars while biking and...I didn't have a craving! Double Sucuess today!

I hope my ticker works....

exercise.png
  • redcon1228
    Options
    328 Miles in July, shooting for 300 in August (have to do some travelling for work)
    0 Miles so far.. already behind the power curve, had to mow the lawn last night.