• indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options

exercise.png
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm such an idiot.
    put the bike on the trainer, get all geared up, put a dvd in the laptop and start cranking away....and it felt really hard....even 9 mph felt way hard. I kept thinking my legs were just tired from all the yard work earlier in the day.
    This went on for about 5 minutes and I finally decided it was too difficult and was just going to get off and rest for the night...but I decided to check the temp of the rear wheel rim before stopping....it was hot....like burn your fingers hot. That's when I realized the rear brake was dragging....probably was on my last ride too. No wonder it was so hard.

So....got that fixed and voila, even 16 mph which is approx. 170 watts on my trainer was suddenly zone 2.
    Total ride was 10 miles bringing the month to 16.5 miles.
  • Mac247
    Mac247 Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm in! Cycling is a good workout for me, as my calves don't like running. Never have, never will. Shin splints in high school taught me that :(

Haven't been mountain biking this year, just some road riding (unfortunately though, it's on my mountain bike...no disposable income for a dedicated road bike).
    I'll shoot for a short ride every morning and a longer one at night to make 400 miles for the month.

Need to lose the fat and then build the muscle...

Mac

exercise.png
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Just a quick note for all of the newer cycling challengers. You are not competing against a set goal or against anyone. This is about setting your own goals. It might be your first bike ride in several years. It might be on a stationary bike. It does not matter. What counts is the motivation to get yourself active and moving. Logging cycling miles is secondary for me. My primary goal is to burn fat and lose weight.
    I hope everyone in this challenge meets or exceeds their goal.

Thanks for this! I was kind of confused as to what the actual challenge was.
    I love riding. I have a "spin" bike upstairs and swore to my husband that if we bought it I'd use it every single day....that was 1.5yrs ago and I probably used it 3 times.

So I chose to set my goal for week 1 of my challenge to 20 minutes 3x this week on the spin bike and 1 long family ride on our mountain bikes Saturday or Sunday.

Once I get my groove I will track miles. I'm a numbers girl and the thought of setting a mileage goal is interesting to me and will definitely help with motivating me to stick with this challenge!

I'm excited!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I'm in! Cycling is a good workout for me, as my calves don't like running. Never have, never will. Shin splints in high school taught me that :(

Haven't been mountain biking this year, just some road riding (unfortunately though, it's on my mountain bike...no disposable income for a dedicated road bike).
    I'll shoot for a short ride every morning and a longer one at night to make 400 miles for the month.

Need to lose the fat and then build the muscle...

Mac

exercise.png

Hi Mac....my dad's name is Mac (for McNamara) :) Mac's are awesome!
  • redcon1228
    Options
    Got in 31.4 miles on the local rail trail, 47.5 total so far.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Daily goal 15
    Daily avg. 24.8
    Monthly goal 400
    Total so far 99.3

8/1 - 10.0
    8/2 - 16.0
    8/3 - 11.3
    8/4 - 62.0

My 40 mile ride turned into over 60 and it was hot by the time I done :tongue:
  • dancingj2
    Options
    Just a quick note for all of the newer cycling challengers. You are not competing against a set goal or against anyone. This is about setting your own goals. It might be your first bike ride in several years. It might be on a stationary bike. It does not matter. What counts is the motivation to get yourself active and moving. Logging cycling miles is secondary for me. My primary goal is to burn fat and lose weight.

I like having my own goals. Some challenges have teams and I worry about letting any team down if I do not meet my goals.

Thanks for running this challenge like this :happy:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Training diary from start of the year says 500km for August - so we'll call it 300 miles again...

1/8/2012 - 30.14 miles - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/205412607
    2/8/2012 - 30.06 miles - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/205774024
    3/8/2012 - rest day
    4/8/2012 - 29.96 miles - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/206479140
    5/8/2012 - 65.42 miles - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/206858353

total 155.58 miles

---
    exercise.png
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thursday 8/2- 10 miles
    Saturday 8/4- 14 miles

Total for August so far: 24 miles

I set my goal at 200 for the month, which seems doable right now. But, I'm a teacher and school starts next week. I'm hoping to still get to 200 though :)
  • AmyCurren
    Options
    I am riding about 11-20 miles every day or every other day depending on the length of the days ride. Feeling great and only eating food my body can use. I see big changes in my body already!
  • dancingj2
    Options
    Daily goal 15
    Daily avg. 22.9
    Monthly goal 400
    Total so far 114.6

8/1 - 10.0
    8/2 - 16.0
    8/3 - 11.3
    8/4 - 62.0
    8/5 - 15.3
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Aug 1 Weds - Off
    Aug 2 Thurs - 30min walk (23 hrs 30min left)
    Aug 3 Fri - 30min walk ( 23hrs left)
    Aug 4 Sat - 90min bike (21 hrs 30min left)
    Aug 5 Sun - 90min bike (20 hrs left)

Doing challenge of 24hrs exercise in August too; that's why hrs left is noted.
    But am also doing other exercises for that as well.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Trying to get 350 miles in this month:
    Sport
    Cycling, sport
    Start Time
    Aug 4, 2012 11:05 AM
    Distance
    25.51 miles
    Duration
    1h:43m:12s
    Avg Speed
    14.8 mph
    Max Speed
    21.0 mph
    Calories
    1817 kcal
    Altitude
    558 ft / 646 ft
    Elevation
    105 ft ↑ / 135 ft ↓
    Weather 82°F / 5.6 mph ↖
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    21 miles this morning on my hybrid. Road bike heading to the shop for a new bottom bracket.

exercise.png
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options

Thank you for answering people's questions. I'm afraid that I haven't been able to keep up on the posts as I was on my cell with very spotty coverage.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Aug 1 - 27 miles
    Aug 2 - 26 miles - aug 3 planned rest day
    Aug 4 - 70 miles
    Aug 5 - 17 miles - storm with lightening cut our planned route short

Total for aug: 140miles
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to track miles on an indoor cycle? I love cycle class and I've always been curious on an estimate of miles...??

the last class our instructor said 23 miles but I have no idea if he was kidding or not because I have no frame of reference as I'm not an outdoor cycler.

I'd love to know though! and participate!
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to track miles on an indoor cycle? I love cycle class and I've always been curious on an estimate of miles...??

the last class our instructor said 23 miles but I have no idea if he was kidding or not because I have no frame of reference as I'm not an outdoor cycler.

I'd love to know though! and participate!

I would use the following as a guide:
    12 mph = easy spin
    15 mph = moderately tough ride
    18 mph = killing it.

23 mph.....Cat 2 TT ride.....followed by an oxygen mask. :glasses:
  • bikerchick6061
    Options
    Great challenge! I started cycling about six weeks ago. So far this month I've done a 15 and a 12 mi ride, really enjoying the summer weather.