Seriously??

Options

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    or how about it's not up to a man to tell women what they should and shouldn't wear.
    this is not the middle east.

I like how you just tried to school somebody about womens right followed by an ignorant and stereotyped statement about an entire region, race and gender. Bravo!

it's a well know fact that the culture in that part of the world covers women up more than the western world. women's rights are not very protected in those parts. it's not an ignorant and strereotyped statement - it's true.

the point was that why is this guy trying to dictate what women should be wearing? its none of his business. and it isn't an invitation to stare at anybody just for wearing a certain thing.

You are stereotying a WHOLE REGION here. Do you have a degree in Middle Eastern studies?? There are a multitude of cultures in the Middle East. My husband is from Lebanon and let me tell you, a woman is not required to wear hijab. There are plenty of ladies showing lots of skin in Beirut. IF you want to talk about religious clothing practices among Muslims that is something else. If you want to specifically talk about Saudi Arabia then you can speak of the human rights problems there but that is a different subject entirely. But you can't make a blanket statement about a whole region.

This. Thankyou. Also, alot of muslims wear hijab out of their own choice. Including my sister who is a practicing MD and day to day interact with men. The ignorant part of your statements about mideast is that you believe everything Media depicts which is always negative.
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    When I work out at the gym near me and my boyfriend's apartment, I never see this. Everyone dresses pretty modestly. Once I wore new shorts and realized they were too short during my workout.... it was awkward and I felt so out of place!

When I work out at my university's gym... that's another story. I think those girls have a competition to see who can wear the least amount of clothes without getting kicked out.

To work out I wear a sports bra, tank top that covers it, and shorts that are not too short. I want to be able to bend over to pick up weights or to do certain exercises without giving the gym a show.
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Long and lean...If you ever do it can you post video ? Lol
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    Personally, I would like to know why the redneck bar behind my apartment has karaoke 5 nights a week. Once a week is more than enough.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • chameleon77
    Options
    I have always been an advocate for girls should be able to wear whatever they wish, their body not mine ya know.

However, I will have to agree. You can wear whatever you wish however its my eyes and my eyes can do whatever they wish too.

Also. This

dave_chappelle.jpg

He is hilarious!!! HAHAHA
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    or, um, how about - it doesn't matter WHAT ANYONE is wearing, staring is f*cking creepy?

like someone can't control where their eyes go? i don't believe that for a hot second.

how about we stop blaming other people for behavior that should stop at the perpetrator.
  • chameleon77
    Options
    If it offends you, then go to another gym. I work out at the Y, so its family friendly and not much exposure (that is why I chose the Y and not Xsport).

It really sounds to me like you're just mad because THOSE women are not into you and the stare that they give you means,"I am not interested."?

My advice it is to try not to care so much and focus on getting YOUR personal fitness goals met despite what other people are doing, saying or wearing around you :-)

THIS
  • RanmaGirl5
    RanmaGirl5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies... what's with the booty spandex shorts at the gym that your butt sticks out of? Along with full makeup? A string tanktop and a barely there sports bra under it?

I see scores of women at my gym that dress like this... any time someone looks at them for more than a few seconds they fire off that laser bolt stare...

You dont want gawkers dont dress like this.

Just saying!

Theres more rant for the night... FLAME ON!

It's called when you workout it gets hot, so you wear little clothing. I go to the gym wearing a sports bra and sport shorts. I just glare at guys because their hooting and whistling makes me loose my focus
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Personally I cannot understand how women can do any exercising with make up on. Just the thought of make up sweating into my eyes makes me cringe. I prefer the freedom of wiping sweat of my face without fretting about how my make up ends up looking. But a person has a right to wear what is most comfortable to exercise in whether they are male or female. Just like members of their gym have a an expectation of the freedom to look at them. I mean it's human nature to stare at eye candy. But the double standard of glaring at a person or being rude cause they are not your idea of eye candy is not right. And yup I am referring to the ladies.

So ladies wear what you want to wear, and guys, stare all you want. And if they glare at you, just give them a **** eating grin, a little wave of the fingers, and when they turn away, laugh ya friggin *kitten* off.
  • casiefer
    casiefer Posts: 10
    Options
    Go all natural, no makeup at the gym! I understand if you're going there right after work, but if you get dressed up to go to the gym you're high! LoL!! You're going to sweat it off and who cares! You are there for YOU, no one else!! :-)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    or how about it's not up to a man to tell women what they should and shouldn't wear.

I like how you just tried to school somebody about womens right followed by an ignorant and stereotyped statement about an entire region, race and gender. Bravo!

it's a well know fact that the culture in that part of the world covers women up more than the western world. women's rights are not very protected in those parts. it's not an ignorant and strereotyped statement - it's true.

the point was that why is this guy trying to dictate what women should be wearing? its none of his business. and it isn't an invitation to stare at anybody just for wearing a certain thing.

Well known fact lol. I like you. You're like my personal model for why people need education and should learn when to be quiet

Edit: for the unbolded area, consult my good friend Dave Chapell I posted earlier

excuse me, but what the hell is your problem? i'm replying to the original post, why are you attacking me?
    and 'well known fact' - whatever, it was a typo. i have plenty of education thanks. you need to learn some people skills.`

how hilarious that you are questioning my integrity when you stand behind a pathetic slut shaming post.

More seriously, the answer to your implied question is that you totally misunderstood the OP. But that's not surprising, given the fact that most activist feminists (you know, the ones that march into every thread that involves women's behavior, or even some that don't...with the attitude of 'SHE CAN DO WHATEVER SHE WANTS!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, EFF OFF!!!') don't have the first clue what an open mind is, or the first grasp on basic reading comprehension. Every comment made that they can pull into their little world of dogma and hate, they do. And then the rest of us pay the price for it.

For the record, this is a perfect example of what the OP meant:
    I wear N*pple tassles and a Butterfly Vejazzle when I work out. Sorry meant to say when I WORK :laugh:

Seriously though, Men look at women, it is a natural reaction, why do women get bent out of shape by it? Especially at the gym where things have a tendency to move, shift and jiggle (some more than most LOL)

Ahh I love the smell of Testosterone in the morning.

If I wear a low cut top I would expect men to take a look, would be a bit dissapointed to be honest if they didn't. The problem comes if men make the assumption they can touch, then I will biach slap em.:angry:

THIS woman, is liberated. She's intelligent. She's secure. She knows men are men, expects men to be men, and the FACT that men are men has ZERO IMPACT on her sense of self, her behavior...and most of all, it has no effect on her equality.

So, take off your spite colored glasses, realize that the OP wasn't dictating anything, he was just making a comment about how offended women who wear stripper clothes to the gym are, when they are eye ogled like a stripper. I promise your cortisol levels will drop dramatically, and your weight loss journey will be made MUCH easier!

Pretty basic stuff.
  • Kmelim
    Kmelim Posts: 26
    Options
    Love the Chapelle thing.

I'm sitting here dressed for the gym, waiting to leave... at no point did I wonder if I was showing enough buttcheek BUT people can wear whatever they want to wear. I'm a fairly modest person but that's for myself.

Also, women tend to dress for each other, not for men, incase you hadn't noticed. :)

Where is my like button? I don't get the makeup thing unless you have been at work but whatever. It is just as annoying as seeing a guy who spends all his time in front of the mirror or worse is so arrogant that he refuses to wipe off his sweat. Just saying.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

It's called when you workout it gets hot, so you wear little clothing. I go to the gym wearing a sports bra and sport shorts. I just glare at guys because their hooting and whistling makes me loose my focus
    [/quote]

Ok troll.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    dont forget they only walk on the treadmill and then hit the hip adductors and cut eyes at any man who dares look

LOL why are you looking?

Its focked up I cant squat at gym without men staring and drooling their *kitten* off.

Oh wait I must be squatting b/c Im trying to see how many men I can get to drool on me right?

And I'm sure the pic of just your cleavage isn't for people to stare at either, right?
    tumblr_m31zd4R1IH1r5yvdb.gif

*light applause*

What boobs? Oh these ones, right here, that are in your face? Don't look at them, please.

Deactivated. Haha.

Well, truth hurts. She shouldn't have been such a hypocrite.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Deactivated. Haha.

Well, truth hurts. She shouldn't have been such a hypocrite.

She was my MFP friend.

When I would see her posts in the forums I often wondered why to be honest.

I mean, don't get me wrong...she was a sweetheart, and on my wall and in PM's (I helped her put together a workout and diet plan that killed her stall) she was very open, friendly, never offended...etc. Most of her profile pictures were semi risque (legs with panties around the ankles, lips, cleavage). Then I'd log into the forums and see she'd made a thread condemning those with risque profile pictures...

:noway:

Anyhow...I'll miss the friend who posted on my wall.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Well known fact lol. I like you. You're like my personal model for why people need education and should learn when to be quiet

Edit: for the unbolded area, consult my good friend Dave Chapell I posted earlier

excuse me, but what the hell is your problem? i'm replying to the original post, why are you attacking me?
    and 'well known fact' - whatever, it was a typo. i have plenty of education thanks. you need to learn some people skills.`

how hilarious that you are questioning my integrity when you stand behind a pathetic slut shaming post.

Hey there Miss Feminazi. We should DEFINITELY be friends lol.

More seriously, the answer to your implied question is that you totally misunderstood the OP. But that's not surprising, given the fact that most activist feminists (you know, the ones that march into every thread that involves women's behavior, or even some that don't...with the attitude of 'SHE CAN DO WHATEVER SHE WANTS!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, EFF OFF!!!') don't have the first clue what an open mind is, or the first grasp on basic reading comprehension. Every comment made that they can pull into their little world of dogma and hate, they do. And then the rest of us pay the price for it.

For the record, this is a perfect example of what the OP meant:
    I wear N*pple tassles and a Butterfly Vejazzle when I work out. Sorry meant to say when I WORK :laugh:

Seriously though, Men look at women, it is a natural reaction, why do women get bent out of shape by it? Especially at the gym where things have a tendency to move, shift and jiggle (some more than most LOL)

Ahh I love the smell of Testosterone in the morning.

If I wear a low cut top I would expect men to take a look, would be a bit dissapointed to be honest if they didn't. The problem comes if men make the assumption they can touch, then I will biach slap em.:angry:

THIS woman, is liberated. She's intelligent. She's secure. She knows men are men, expects men to be men, and the FACT that men are men has ZERO IMPACT on her sense of self, her behavior...and most of all, it has no effect on her equality.

So, take off your spite colored glasses, realize that the OP wasn't dictating anything, he was just making a comment about how offended women who wear stripper clothes to the gym are, when they are eye ogled like a stripper. I promise your cortisol levels will drop dramatically, and your weight loss journey will be made MUCH easier!

Pretty basic stuff.

thank you for that incredibly rude post. you don't actually know anything about me, so please do not start making assumptions on what I meant.
    I wasn't actually referring to the original post - the person in the above quoted threads which i was talking to i.e. with the 'slut shaming post' was someone else and I was talking about the '*kitten* uniform' quote he posted.

it's called having an opinion.

and for the record, regarding that other lady's post that you quoted. that's absolutely fine if she is happy to have that opinion. personally I don't like to think of it as being someone else's 'right' to stare just because of whichever outfit I put on. but thats just my opinion.

and I have a very open mind.

this is why i avoid these bloody threads. i make one comment and im instantly called a nazi, racist, sexist, etc. so rude.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

thank you for that incredibly rude post. you don't actually know anything about me, so please do not start making assumptions on what I meant.
    I wasn't actually referring to the original post - the person in the above quoted threads which i was talking to i.e. with the 'slut shaming post' was someone else and I was talking about the '*kitten* uniform' quote he posted.

and for the record, regarding that other lady's post that you quoted. that's absolutely fine if she is happy to have that opinion. personally I don't like to think of it as being someone else's 'right' to stare just because of whichever outfit I put on. but thats just my opinion.

this is why i avoid these bloody threads. i make one comment and im instantly called a nazi, racist, sexist, etc. so rude.

You know what else is rude? Calling all of mideast women oppressing region.

I wouldn't call you nazi, nazis were highly educated and knew they were wrong (atleast most of them). You are however racist and sexist
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Gotta love the attention *kitten*, most of the girls the gym (mine anyways) that are dressed with make up on, stand around more than they train, it's about as absurd as the guys who look in the mirror and pump their muscles up... LMAO
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

You are stereotying a WHOLE REGION here. Do you have a degree in Middle Eastern studies?? There are a multitude of cultures in the Middle East. My husband is from Lebanon and let me tell you, a woman is not required to wear hijab. There are plenty of ladies showing lots of skin in Beirut. IF you want to talk about religious clothing practices among Muslims that is something else. If you want to specifically talk about Saudi Arabia then you can speak of the human rights problems there but that is a different subject entirely. But you can't make a blanket statement about a whole region.

This. Thankyou. Also, alot of muslims wear hijab out of their own choice. Including my sister who is a practicing MD and day to day interact with men. The ignorant part of your statements about mideast is that you believe everything Media depicts which is always negative.

I apologise if I offended anyone on making that comment. I was not intending to cause offense or make any kind of racial slur.
    I understand there are many women who wear hijab on their own grounds. However, it is a culture which requires women to cover up more than we do in our culture. I am a very open minded person and have a good education - though my degree was not in Middle Eastern studies, no.. I realise that saying that may have been a generalisation - I just wanted to make a comparison, that's all. Also I don't think anyone can disagree that in a lot of muslim countries, women's rights are not as progressive as they should be.

I was put out by the original post in this thread as I can't understand why he would make it his own business to have any comment on how women should present themselves and I was just making a comparison. That is all. THat is my opinion and I am entitled to one.

I'm sorry if I have come across as ignorant or offensive as that is the last thing I want to be.

I just don't really appreciate expressing an opinion on here and now i'm being branded as a racist, sexist femi-nazi (another commentor). This is why I stay away from these threads.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

It actually wasn't meant to be rude, my apologies if you took it that way. I have a very direct way of putting things, and most things I say, I say with humor.

Then you failed to clarify your position, and you can't exactly be angry at me for giving my opinion on what you actually wrote, rather than what you meant.

But here:
    I was put out by the original post in this thread

You said the same thing?

I wasn't pointing her speficic opinion out as 'right' or yours as 'wrong'. I was actually simply stating that you women that speak of equality, literally demanding it with a stomped foot and angry rhetoric...will never, ever be equal. The reason isn't society, nor is it oppression. It's your own minds, your own perception. The woman who does as she wishes, without spite or anger at those around her...that woman is the one who is truly equal. Actually, that's not quite true. That woman is respected, admired, and held up as an example by those of us who know, love, and respect women in general.

Believe me...a strong woman who knows that giving doesn't mean losing....is something to be cherished.

Again, if you always get a certain response...sometimes, it's best to look at yourself. Trust me, I've had to do this many times in my life. Sometimes it was something I needed to change, and I did. Sometimes...changing it changed too much of who I was, and so...wasn't worth it.

You're the only person who can decide which umbrella this circumstance falls under.