What's your opinion on Lean Cuisines?

Options

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i like the taste of some of them, but kashi is better, healthwise.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    You never need lean cuisines if you have this. Easy to make and absolutely delicious!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/360696-if-you-re-a-fan-of-crockpot-cheeseburgers
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I would say nay.

I would imagine they are ok once in a while, especially if you need to just grab something to eat at work- def better than goin to mcdonalds or something.

but if you're eating them at home, that's different. If you make your own food you get much more for the same amount of calories, and cut out all that sodium.
  • callmebryntax
    Options
    I would say nay.

I would imagine they are ok once in a while, especially if you need to just grab something to eat at work- def better than goin to mcdonalds or something.

but if you're eating them at home, that's different. If you make your own food you get much more for the same amount of calories, and cut out all that sodium.

Although we disagree on Lean Cuisines, I have to say I love your ticker... I am re-watching Supernatural right now :D
  • callmebryntax
    Options
    You never need lean cuisines if you have this. Easy to make and absolutely delicious!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/360696-if-you-re-a-fan-of-crockpot-cheeseburgers

OMG thats like so totally my favorite food to feed the trolls that live on the interwebs!

>.>
  • CruzZ8
    CruzZ8 Posts: 71
    Options
    I don't consider them the devil, and it's been years since I have had any, but I can see myself picking up one if I was incredibly lazy and hurried with no other options! I think that their teaching you portion control is good, but I think that at some point, you have to learn how to make or prep your own foods so that you can do more things yourself. I've stopped eating lunch meats because of the sodium amount too, so I really wouldn't advise eating them every day either--but that's just how I feel about all processed foods. If you're at a phase where this is what is helping you, don't feel bad about them. Just keep in mind improvement in the future by learning to feed yourself and not having to rely on other given sources.

I did the Slim-fast shakes for a few weeks, and when I first got them, I thought that I would be on them for a year. Once I realized how calorie intake made a difference and learned to serve myself better portions, I didn't feel like I needed to rely on the shakes anymore. They were yummy, but I just felt like making different, healthy things for myself. A couple of months ago, I realized that I still had some shake mix and so I decided to have one only to realize that I didn't like the incredible sugary, chocolateness that I had loved when I first decided to buy them--taste buds changes, and maybe one day you won't really like Lean Cuisines! While the shakes are not something that I would reach for now, I do not regret or feel bad about having taken them because they served as a good learning experience. Go at your own pace, just remember to move forward
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I've eaten them before, but now i stick with WW Smart Ones...............i just like their selection better. But i DO see what the sodium content is on each box before i put them in the shopping cart.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    They shouldn't be a staple, but for those times when you need something quick and easy, I can't see them as being all that bad.

I keep a few in my freezer, for days when I need to eat fast or I haven't gone shopping in a few days.
  • mtreuil
    mtreuil Posts: 6
    Options
    For me it's a yeah. Until I come across a cure for hating cooking I will continue to stock up on frozen foods including some Lean Cuisnie's. I grew up with some amazing cajun cooks who made everything fresh so I know what good homemade food tastes like. Never the less to me cooking is work not fun. One of my goals on my weight loss journey is to find a way to at least like cooking.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    OK to eat now and again if you don't have a better option.
    I don't think you get enough nutrition or value for your dollar to make them a regular thing.

And, my cooking tastes better!
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them. I don't particularly like the taste, and I feel better making things in my own kitchen, so I can choose what goes in. Sometimes I'll make a large batch of one or two different meals on Sunday, and portion them out into tupperware to take to work with me for convenience and portion control.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love Lean Cuisine.. It is convenient for me to throw one in a bag for lunch and I don't have to worry about cooking or measuring anything. And there is such a variety that I never get bored with eating.

I keep me a lean cuisine or smart one in deck in the event I can't make dinner or lunch!! Here and there not really a big deal just not everyday!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nay. these are so bland tasting to me.

so much better to make stuff yourself, get those compartmentalized ziploc containers and freeze the meals yourself
  • SandyCheeks2
    SandyCheeks2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love them, but they some of them do have a lot of sodium so I usually compare between Lean Cuisine and smart ones on certain items and get the one with better nutrition.. I also like healthy choice but Just recently started getting them but NO PROBLEMS FOR me I try not to have one every day
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yay.

I ate Jimmy Dean D'light sandwiches for breakfast and Lean Cuisines for lunch and dinner for a few weeks and lost ten pounds. For dinner a lot of times I will heat up extra veggies and mix them in. It really helps with portion control. I find that if I eat them slowly I feel more full than if I scarf them down in a minute. The sodium isn't great but it's not as bad as some people are saying. Most contain around 500-700 mg.
  • ShadowChaser16
    Options
    Yay because I eat them all the time. Healthy Choice is great as well because most of them have like 25g of protein. Yes the sodium in some of them is really high but just drink extra water to compensate. As long as you're within your calorie limit I don't see how they could hinder your weight loss...
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I love lean cuisine meals. I would much rather have a home made meal, but lean cuisine helps me know exactly how many calories are in there and helps me with portion control.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    yup for quick work lunches but usually no for at home eating
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Not read through the thread so forgive me if I repeat...

My thought is:

A. The portion size is freaking small! I can eat a baked chicken breast and steam my on veggies for less calories.

B. They process the hell out of that stuff, while they don't taste that bad and I use to eat them when I first begin all this, if you care about processed foods in your diet, these are very processed.

and C. Sodium in it alone is a killer!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    They taste like crap the food I make for myself tastes better and that's saying a lot considering I'm an awful cook. And I make meals ahead of time to freeze and heat them up when I need them so convenience isn't an issue.