Stop calling me too skinny!

Options
12346»

Replies

• freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Why the hell do people think it's okay to say things like "You're too skinny" and "Eat a cupcake! It'll put meat on your bones!" but not "Maybe you should think before you put that cheeseburger in your mouth, fatty"?

Commenting unnecessarily on people's body weight and eating habits is just never polite. A BMI of 20 is in the normal range. You eat a fine number of calories per day. You aren't suffering any low-weight related ailments. There is 0 reason anyone should say a damned thing.

Sometimes I cook extra food for my guy, because his BMI is 18.2. He is actually underweight and has terrible eating habits. I don't say "you're too skinny, look at ya, all skin and bones" because that's MEAN and RUDE. I just make sure he remembers to eat at mealtimes (he gets very busy and puts off eating, hence his weight) and I cook for him when I can, to keep him from resorting to instant mac n cheese.
  • pandora13star
    Options
    I think you look great, based on your picture, and based on your numbers. But, there is also a point where it can be dangerous, like a lot of people say. I have a friend who is about 5'6" and she is about 110lbs which is a little on the low side, but she is really small-boned. However, it always worried me because she literally was skin and bones. I wasn't trying to say anything about her size or offend her in any way, but it was worrisome, especially when she lost weight to be 100lbs. I do admit that at times I was jealous, but I wasn't nagging her for that reason.
    I know that you may not want to hear this from another person, but go for your goals, but also make sure that your goals are still in a healthy range and that you're doing things right, because sometimes habits can turn into obsessions. So, Congratulations and good luck.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If you think our culture currently has made fat normal, you need to look at some historical paintings/drawings/photographs.

Sorry, I just found that slightly irritating. I hate when people act like this is a "new" thing that people are "heavy". It's not new.

Yes, it is new. Just because Rubens painted curvy models doesn't mean the streets of Amsterdam were filled with similar ladies.

--P

And cave men?

There has been quite a variety through all of time. I do agree that overall we are heavier than we were, but there are also areas and times where being "fat" was a symbol of wealth.

I'm not saying it's okay, but people love to claim that people are so different now than in the "old days", but it's really not true.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    If you think our culture currently has made fat normal, you need to look at some historical paintings/drawings/photographs.

Sorry, I just found that slightly irritating. I hate when people act like this is a "new" thing that people are "heavy". It's not new.

Yes, it is new. Just because Rubens painted curvy models doesn't mean the streets of Amsterdam were filled with similar ladies.

--P

And cave men?

There has been quite a variety through all of time. I do agree that overall we are heavier than we were, but there are also areas and times where being "fat" was a symbol of wealth.

I'm not saying it's okay, but people love to claim that people are so different now than in the "old days", but it's really not true.

And don't forget Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble. They seemed overweight, too...

--P
  • momtokx2
    momtokx2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just wondered if anyone is going through something similar to me during their weight loss efforts. All my adult life I have been around 120 pounds (I am 5'3) so I guess I've been reasonably thin, but I didn't eat very well and drank a ton of beer 4-5 nights a week (up until a few years ago) and I had a lot of body fat- I am guessing around 26-27%. After I had my baby last year I joined myfitnesspal with the hopes of not just losing the rest of the baby weight, but getting rid of all the fat I was carrying.

All I ever ate were refined carbs and fruit (like, NO fat or protein ever, except for the weekly mcdonalds burger and fries, no vegetables, very little water- mainly I drank diet coke and beer). So, in addition to logging my food I also made a conscious effort to get more vegetables, protein, and healthy fats. I am now 113 pounds and am going to guess I am around 21% body fat. I would like to lose at least another 6 pounds and get to 17% (that's a rough estimate).

Well, now I am getting hassled by everyone. My coworkers all tell me to "eat something" (I eat more often than anyone in my office, you can frequently find me in the breakroom slicing a zucchini and crunching on celery sticks), and mocking my food choices and my boss recently brought over a slice of cake and said I was wasting away. My parents came to visit and hassled me over my new body. My husband frequently complains I am skin and bones (I'm not; he's just pissed my quest to lose the love handles and jiggly *kitten* have cost me my former D cup boobs).

I am not too skinny (I actually still have a gut and still some jiggle around the middle) and I am eating healthier than ever and although I don't really log my foods anymore, I am sure I get around 1400-1500 calories per day and I just want people to either say something positive or nothing at all.

Is anyone else going through this? How do you deal?

Wow this could be me except The only difference is my husbands believe that I run to much (currently training for my 2nd half) and that it is not normal. I feel better and have more energy than I have ever had in my life. I want to loss between another 5-10lbs. I may look thinner than before but believe me there are still parts that jiggle.
    My only suggestion and what I do is tell everyone that I am ok. I am eating plenty, just healthier. When offered sugary snacks, I tell them I am not eating that type of food anymore (mostly). Good luck in your journey!