Are White Foods the Work of the Devil?

Options
1235»

Replies

• BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish and the thought of giving up Potatoes is a bit like giving up breathing but it's been pretty easy. Pasta has been harder because having the sauce with veg just isn't the same.

Agreed, it's sacreligious for us.

How do you feel about sweet potatoes?

I love sweet potatoes but haven't had any since I started my diet.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the pictures of me on my profile and 1700 calories is the amount set by MFP.

MFP sets those goals on the basis of the data you put in. If you put in (as an example) that you want to lose 3 pounds a week, it will try to generate a 1500 cal/day deficit. Which may or may not be healthy or attainable.

Just to give you an idea, I'm a whole foot shorter than you and likely a whole lot lighter, (5'1", 111 pounds) and eat about 1400 cals/day.

What are you suggesting ?

That there is a possibility that your calorie goals are too low. Do you know what your BMI and TDEE are?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Beezlebub has a devil put aside for bread, for rice, for potatoes ♪♪♪

Literally laughed out loud at this.

Queen <3
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish and the thought of giving up Potatoes is a bit like giving up breathing but it's been pretty easy. Pasta has been harder because having the sauce with veg just isn't the same.

Agreed, it's sacreligious for us.

How do you feel about sweet potatoes?

I love sweet potatoes but haven't had any since I started my diet.

Yams are good and healthier than white potatoes.
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    Have you looked at the pictures of me on my profile and 1700 calories is the amount set by MFP.

MFP sets those goals on the basis of the data you put in. If you put in (as an example) that you want to lose 3 pounds a week, it will try to generate a 1500 cal/day deficit. Which may or may not be healthy or attainable.

Just to give you an idea, I'm a whole foot shorter than you and likely a whole lot lighter, (5'1", 111 pounds) and eat about 1400 cals/day.

That there is a possibility that your calorie goals are too low. Do you know what your BMI and TDEE are?

I'm 46 6'1 and 16 stone 10 (If you don't know what that means Google it) and my BMI is 30.9 , BMR 1995 so I'm Obese Did you think I'm lying about my details? You put those details in to any weight lose site and come back to me and tell me I'm lying.

I'm losing about 2lb a week and I havn't been hungry since I started my diet. Why should I, I'm having a breakfast of 300 calories , lunch for about 500 and dinner for 900 and I believe by cutting out the processed food its really helped my carvings.

I'm really shocked by people's reaction to me not eating bread and pasta.

I really don't know if your being a troll or if your just being plain old fashion rude.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    To offer a technical answer to your original question.

As it relates to carbs, whites are considered Simple Carbs and Browns are considered Complex Carbs. Carbs found in pasta, grains, vegetables, fruits, breads, cereals, rice, beans, sugar, candies, etc., are all of these two basic types. If a carbohydrate contains soluble fiber it is considered “complex” and is desirably absorbed more slowly. If a carbohydrate is lacking soluble fiber or is in other words a simple sugar, it will be absorbed quickly into the blood (only desirable when energy “sugar” is needed quickly). Prolonged eating behavior that centers around the ingestion of these simple sugars can lead to metabolic disorders such as Hypoglycemia and Type II Diabetes; both of which are relative to blood sugar levels and contribute to mood swings, depression, and several other mental impairments.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I eat them, but try not to make them the bulk of my diet. I do opt for whole wheat bread all of the time, and brown rice some of the time (but I really like white, too) but I haven't been able to get into whole wheat pasta. But I eat lots and lots of veggies, fruits,a nd good lean protein.

I guess it depends on what you consider a white food though, because dairy, including milk, cheese, and yogurt, is an every-day thing for me.
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    I eat them, but try not to make them the bulk of my diet. I do opt for whole wheat bread all of the time, and brown rice some of the time (but I really like white, too) but I haven't been able to get into whole wheat pasta. But I eat lots and lots of veggies, fruits,a nd good lean protein.

I guess it depends on what you consider a white food though, because dairy, including milk, cheese, and yogurt, is an every-day thing for me.

When I was talking about white foods it was tongue in cheek ( white bread, white rice, pasta and potatoes). I was trying to be witty to start a conversation but by the looks of it I've failed miserable . LOL
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes, replace them all with bacon.
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    MMMMmmm bacon, a bacon and egg sandwich would be lovley. Oops I forgot I'm not eating bread.
  • Spanaval
    Options

I'm 46 6'1 and 16 stone 10 (If you don't know what that means Google it) and my BMI is 30.9 , BMR 1995 so I'm Obese Did you think I'm lying about my details? You put those details in to any weight lose site and come back to me and tell me I'm lying.

I'm losing about 2lb a week and I havn't been hungry since I started my diet. Why should I, I'm having a breakfast of 300 calories , lunch for about 500 and dinner for 900 and I believe by cutting out the processed food its really helped my carvings.

I'm really shocked by people's reaction to me not eating bread and pasta.

I really don't know if your being a troll or if your just being plain old fashion rude.

I think that you've misunderstood my intent. Otherwise, I'm not sure what this tirade is all about. I don't overly care what you do or do not eat. As I said in my previous post, you do what works for you, and that's how it should be.

My question regarding your BMR has nothing to do with wondering if you're making stuff up. Your BMR is what your body needs to function, calorie wise. IOW, if you were lying in a coma, your body would need that much energy to function - breathe, organ function, heart beating, that sort of thing. It is generally not a good idea to eat below this number because well, your body needs that amount of energy at a minimum to function. If you are seriously overweight, you could get away with it for a while, but you'll need to readjust at some point. Obviously, you can get those calories from whatever source you choose.
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    I'll let my doctor know that the information he give me was wrong ( 1800 calories a day ) and I'll sent an email of to MFP telling them that their site is flawed and they are setting my calories to low (1710 calories day )

Thank you for letting me know. You have left me speechless.

Billy
  • Spanaval
    Options
    Thank you for letting me know. You have left me speechless.
    Billy

I'm sorry I bothered.

Good luck in your journey to good health and fitness.