Diet Soda correlation to wt gain, diabetes, etc...

Options
Here is an article that I found. It's not mentioned here, but there has been a study done somewhere that showed people actually gained more weight drinking diet verses regular soda. Chemicals in diet soda causes food cravings; therefore, people eat more. Add me on MFP.

Artificially sweetened drinks are often promoted as healthy alternatives for weight loss and diabetes because they are low in calories and don't contain sugar. However, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that these diet sodas are harmful to human health. According to Sharon Fowler, MPH, an authority on this subject, "Diet soda is not a health food. In fact, it's not a food at all, it's simply a slurry of chemicals, a number of which may have deleterious effects on the body." Most recently diet sodas have been tied to increased risk of stroke and heart attack, and while many people drink them as an aid to weight reduction, research suggests if you drink diet soda, weight gain may be the result instead.

Weight gain
In one study linking diet beverages to weight gain, Hazuda, et. al. at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, recorded changes in waist circumferences in 474 elderly participants in a 10-year study. As part of the study they controlled for diabetes, physical activity, neighborhood, age, sex and ethnicity. Findings showed that increases in waist sizes were 70 percent greater among those who drank diet soft drinks compared with those who did not. In addition, waist size increases were as much as 500 percent greater amongst those that drank two or more diet sodas a day.

In other research, Sharon Fowler and colleagues studied eight years of data based on individuals between 25 and 64. Of the study participants who were of normal weight in the beginning, a third were overweight or obese eight years later. In evaluating the correlation between obesity and diet drinks researchers found that every bottle of diet soda participants drank in a day raised their obesity risk by 41 percent.

Diabetes
Aspartame, a common sweetener in diet beverages, has also been linked to diabetes. In an animal study conducted at UT San Antonio, researchers fed corn oil-enriched feed to one group of mice and the same feed plus aspartame to another group. Three months later the aspartame group had elevated glucose levels but insulin levels that were equal to or less than those of the control group, suggesting that aspartame may be part of the connection between diet soda consumption and diabetes.

Corrupted Signals
What is the reason for the diet soda weight gain connection? One theory is that our bodies rely on a signaling system based on the quality of the foods we eat. In the case of diet soda, the body experiences a sweet taste and expects calories; but when they aren't forthcoming starts to crave food, which leads to overeating. Psychologists at Purdue University tested this idea by comparing two groups of rats, one which was fed yogurt with sugar and one which was fed yogurt with saccharine. The saccharine rats ate significantly more calories, gained more weight and put on more body fat than the control group.

Sweet Cravings
Still another possibility is that eating sweets dulls our taste buds causing us to eat more sugary foods in compensation. Some 2011 research in the UK seems to support this idea. The scientists found that consumption of two cans of soda a day for a month resulted in a noticeable dulling of taste buds and increased cravings for high calorie foods. Since artificial sweeteners (which were not part of this particular study) are 200 to 300 times sweeter than sugar, it is at least possible that they may have a similar impact on our taste buds.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035070_diet_soda_weight_loss_aspartame.html#ixzz22DUeInmS

Replies

• bogdanb94
    bogdanb94 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well ... here (I think) is the truth:
    1)Weight gain ? from a 0 calorie product ? it speaks for itself
    2)Aspartame ? Do you know how much do you have to consume to even have a little side effect ?
    3)Increases the need for sweets ? Well yes and no... if you're "prone" to eating a lot of sweets maybe...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    For those nerdier folks, James Krieger (weightology.net) does a very good job destroying these ideas but it's part of his customer-only material.

Suffice it to say that I'd not worry at all about diet soda consumption unless you're literally consuming assloads of it daily.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    ....unless you're literally consuming assloads of it daily.

And, if you are, hopefully, you are sticking your straw into a different container.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well then I must defy all logic because I drink 2-3 bottles of Diet Pepsi every single day and I am a Type 2 Diabetic with A1c averaging 5.3 now, I have No cravings for sweets from drinking my Diet Pepsi, and I have managed to lose 310 lbs. in the process so I won't be jumping on the bandwagon anytime soon... LOL
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Diet soda makes us crave sweets. So....yes, the logical correlation is that weight gain will result since we are all children and have no control over our cravings. I crave cheeseburgers. It doesnt mean i eat them. Stop blaming it on the freakin pop. If you (not the Op, generic you) cannot control the cravings created by ingesting aspartame, then you should not ingest it.

Signed....

Diet pepsi addict who has lost 23lbs while drinking a minimum of 4 cans of pop a day. :smile:
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well then I must defy all logic because I drink 2-3 bottles of Diet Pepsi every single day and I am a Type 2 Diabetic with A1c averaging 5.3 now, I have No cravings for sweets from drinking my Diet Pepsi, and I have managed to lose 310 lbs. in the process so I won't be jumping on the bandwagon anytime soon... LOL

this is the happiest news i've heard in a long time. I love my Diet Pepsi...and everyone keeps telling me I won't lose weight unless I give it up. Do I know its full of chemicals? yes. do I hope someday to limit? yes. but when i'm cutting out everything else this is the one thing I need to have right now. Im not diabetic, but it runs in my family...so these are valid concerns for me.
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Signed....

Diet pepsi addict who has lost 23lbs while drinking a minimum of 4 cans of pop a day. :smile:

my new best friend (not a stalker. :/) thank you for this post.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    this is the happiest news i've heard in a long time. I love my Diet Pepsi...and everyone keeps telling me I won't lose weight unless I give it up. Do I know its full of chemicals? yes. do I hope someday to limit? yes. but when i'm cutting out everything else this is the one thing I need to have right now. Im not diabetic, but it runs in my family...so these are valid concerns for me.

The dosage at which you would likely experience anything bad is so high that you'd have to make a conscious effort to cram in diet pepsi vigorously to reach that dosage.

Enjoy your diet soda.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

db9a8e486124.jpg

Seriously dude. That's amazing. 310 lb loss. Congrats!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

db9a8e486124.jpg

Seriously dude. That's amazing. 310 lb loss. Congrats!

Ed is the *kitten*.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Lost nearly 60 lbs drinking diet sodas.....
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Agreed!! When I started this journey I vowed that I would put forth all my effort and would allow myself one thing that I could still have and that was my Diet Pepsi... I still drink around 125-150 oz. of water a day but I have my 24 oz. bottle of Diet Pepsi by me most of the day.. LOL I am on a Big Red Zero kick at the moment... Loved that stuff as a kid and now I can have it with zero calories!! Heck Yeah!!! LOL..... Best of Luck to you.....
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks for this article! I (unlike most of my MFP brothers and sisters) agree 100%. All the nay-sayers should watch "Sweet Misery". It only takes a tiny bit of Aspartame to do a lot of damage....http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/sweet-misery-a-poisoned-world/
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Okay. Let's try this.

I don't know who says that diet soda's are healthy, they're not. Neither is vodka. I happen to like both.

Are people who drink diet soda fatter than others? Probably, because there's a whole bunch of people who drink it because it says diet, but chow down on loads of fattening stuff.

Why don't the studies against diet drinks state the diets of the people in their studies? I want to know what other crap they're ingesting along with the diet soda.

Yes, I called diet soda 'crap', because I kind of think it is, but it's a crap I don't mind drinking now and again. Not because it's diet, but because I happen to prefer the taste of diet coke to every other soda out there, with the exception of grape, which I swear is pure sugar and I rarely indulge in, even when I wasn't working on eating healthier.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Thanks for this article! I (unlike most of my MFP brothers and sisters) agree 100%. All the nay-sayers should watch "Sweet Misery". It only takes a tiny bit of Aspartame to do a lot of damage....http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/sweet-misery-a-poisoned-world/

There is a substantial amount of research that suggests otherwise.
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i want to take the time to read this later...

...bump!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

Signed....

I freaken love this :laugh:
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options

I agree, I quit diet sodas during a period in my life where I was trying to nail what was disagreeing with me (turned out to be BCP's) and I lost a bunch of weight no effort. Started to put it back on years later when I started drinking diets again. Hmmm. Lately I have been drinking carbonated waters, like "La Croix" etc, just as good. Watching the "Sweet Misery"...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45lbs drinking way too much diet soda, has not caused me to crave sweets yet
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I disagree as well. I used my diet coke vice to fill the void when I have cravings. It gives me a sweet fix and fills me up as well.

Anyone can do a study to prove anything. The funny thing is if you can find who funded the study you will usually always find the study leans in favor of the company paying for it!