Diet Soda correlation to wt gain, diabetes, etc...

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well then I must defy all logic because I drink 2-3 bottles of Diet Pepsi every single day and I am a Type 2 Diabetic with A1c averaging 5.3 now, I have No cravings for sweets from drinking my Diet Pepsi, and I have managed to lose 310 lbs. in the process so I won't be jumping on the bandwagon anytime soon... LOL

Oh wow! That's amazing! 310 lbs?! Great job, how long did that take you??

37 months so far, still in weight loss mode.... down to 250 lbs, now and have a body lift surgery coming up (should lose 15-20 lbs, in it) shooting for a comfortable 225 lbs. for my goal weight... Once I have achieved that then we will see if I need to go any lower...
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    The "Sweet Misery" correlates the introduction to the aspartame to the main stream (I remember when this happened) to various neurological problems. Scary stuff. Worth the watch!.

Makes me wonder what the heck else was happening in the human world at the same time.

Yeah, I thought that too. I can't really think of any, can you? That was about the age I started reading everything I could on nutrition.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDT7d3h5drmTGkoofIPn8z7OLzQ1IaR8d3JvOfCfLPunVcBOnDL_YXJI_6

cvc.jpg

lemongraph.jpg
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    Options
    The OP's posting history speaks for itself.

Broad generalizations = no, thanks
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    For every study, hypothesis and theory there's always going to be exceptions.

Example: the people i've known in my life who smoked cigarettes and are now in their late 70' or 80's and haven't developed the cancers or other issues that are related to smoking. It doesn't mean that smokings good for you!!

Another example: The people i know who have drank large quantities of alcohol who are older and do not have liver diease or pancreatitis. Once again it doesnt mean that drinking every day is good for you.

Another example: my grandfather was tall and thin all his life. He ate sweets on a daily basis...always kept a bowl of m&m's or peanut brittle by his chair and snacked on it frequently. He had icecream or a piece of pie for dessert every night (not the reduced fat kind of today) and he also ate bacon and eggs most mornings for breakfast. Sunday dinner was usually fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy. The man never gained weight and was extremely active and rarely ever sick. He had perfect blood pressure and blood sugar in the normal range. He died from cancer at 61 which he had fought for five years. It started in his lungs and according to the docs was related to smoking even though he had quit 10 yrs before. My grandmother who was overweight, had high blood pressure and heart issues out lived him by 24 years. Who would have thought??

The point is this: We have no way of knowing whether we will be the lucky ones or not when it comes to what we take into our bodies. I take the studys and info out there into consideration when i consume food so for me aspartame isnt worth the risk. Personally when it comes to beverages my rule is this..if it has no nutritional value why consume it? When it comes to sweetened drinks i prefer to put those calories to better use elsewhere in my diet. Also soda whether diet or not contains carbonation which causes me to feel bloated. Once again this is my experience and preference but may not be anyone elses!!

Agreed, same in my family. I have developed this rule. If it was made by man in a laboratory, it is probably not good. So GMO, fake fats like "Olestra" and fake sweets all fall into this category. Also I stay away from plastic food containers. High fructose corn syrup, irradiated oils, fake butters, anything with "hydrolyzed food protein or enzymes", "natural flavors", MSG, etc. You get the idea.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    I love pepsi max and it doesnt make me crave sweets at all. i drink it WHEN i get the sweet craving and it safisfies the desire. I dont drink gallons, maybe 2 glasses a day and i dont buy into all that pish about harmful blah de blah. If you listen to every bit of hype you'll never eat or drink another thing because there's always some new theory about why almost everything is bad for you!!
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When I drank diet soda I got sick and died!!! OMGGGG!!!!!

When I gave them up I was ok and had great body*

*SOURCE: ME! ttly reliable ok
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    cvc.jpg
    Bahaha, that made my morning! XD
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this article! I (unlike most of my MFP brothers and sisters) agree 100%. All the nay-sayers should watch "Sweet Misery". It only takes a tiny bit of Aspartame to do a lot of damage....http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/sweet-misery-a-poisoned-world/

I agree, I quit diet sodas during a period in my life where I was trying to nail what was disagreeing with me (turned out to be BCP's) and I lost a bunch of weight no effort. Started to put it back on years later when I started drinking diets again. Hmmm. Lately I have been drinking carbonated waters, like "La Croix" etc, just as good. Watching the "Sweet Misery"...

I quit over a year ago. I feel great. I don't get headaches(was a daily issue), I dropped 10 pounds in no time, and I find that I have the energy to get up in the morning.
    I will never go back.

And the most I drank was only two cans a day, most of the time it was only one can.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's extremely unhealthy, but I don't think it does the things you mentioned. People have managed to lose weight while drinking it just fine... that being said, it's still awful for you in so many ways. I actually had an addiction to it as dumb as that sounds, because I would drink a lot of it everyday and I had withdrawals. So obviously I'm going ot tell people not to drink it, but if you want to, go ahead.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    When I stopped drinking diet coke I got a massive headache for at least 3 days...

I thought it was the caffine and then realised that it couldn't be because I my caffine intake was the same. What does diet coke have in it that can cause a withdrawal headache other than caffine? I replaced the diet coke with water can for can so it can't be dehydration.

I'm not saying don't drink it if you want to...I don't care what anyone else does lol. But switching diet coke (or whatever) for http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/688456-diet-soda-correlation-to-wt-gain-diabetes-etc?quote=10066466water cant be unhealthy surely.

You might've gotten a massive headache because of anything on the planet or more likely for no reason at all. It just happened to coincide with you not drinking diet pop. The human mind is known to assign causation where there is little to no evidence that it exists. A lot of things that happen are just random chance, we humans on an evolutionary scale don't like the idea that we aren't in control of most things around us.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    When I stopped drinking diet coke I got a massive headache for at least 3 days...

I thought it was the caffine and then realised that it couldn't be because I my caffine intake was the same. What does diet coke have in it that can cause a withdrawal headache other than caffine? I replaced the diet coke with water can for can so it can't be dehydration.

I'm not saying don't drink it if you want to...I don't care what anyone else does lol. But switching diet coke (or whatever) for http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/688456-diet-soda-correlation-to-wt-gain-diabetes-etc?quote=10066466water cant be unhealthy surely.

You might've gotten a massive headache because of anything on the planet or more likely for no reason at all. It just happened to coincide with you not drinking diet pop. The human mind is known to assign causation where there is little to no evidence that it exists. A lot of things that happen are just random chance, we humans on an evolutionary scale don't like the idea that we aren't in control of most things around us.

Actually no the headache was most likely caused by the lack of soda.
    I quit and didn't have any but my mom tried multiple times to quit and each time she would get terrible headaches that would only stop when she would drink soda again. She thankfully pushed through and quit about 6 months ago.

[/quote]
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    Thanks for this article! I (unlike most of my MFP brothers and sisters) agree 100%. All the nay-sayers should watch "Sweet Misery". It only takes a tiny bit of Aspartame to do a lot of damage....http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/sweet-misery-a-poisoned-world/

Exactly. I have rolled my eyes over the years at people who were telling me "stop drinking that stuff it is going to hurt you"
    thinking, "oh, quit the drama". Well, now I am paying for it. I've just been told the news I have osteoporosis. It is painful,
    a difficulty to work through especially during workouts and I am only 37. What is more painful to me is that I should have listened
    to the warnings. Sure the diet soda might not be giving you symptoms now...but wait 5- 15-20 years and see how you feel.
    There has been no long term studies...what are these chemicals going to do to our bodies in the years to come? And why are
    we willing to risk it? Part of the problem, I think, is that we are addicted just like an alcoholic is to alcohol but since it
    is an addiction that does not change our behavior (or does it?!) it is more widely accepted. If we are drinking diet soda to
    get the sweet fix then we really haven't beaten our addiction to sweets. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love diet coke
    but it is destroying my health bit by bit and I don't want that for me or my family.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I can's speak for aspartame - I can taste the strong bitter taste that most people can't, too many bitter taste buds :( , but Splenda does bad things to my digestive system. I was so excited when I first tried it, Splenda was the first and only artificial sweetener that didn't taste insanely bitter to me. As time went on I became much less excited, to say the least. It's a well documented side effect that only impacts a small percentage of people. So, I suppose Splenda could help me lose weight, but not in a fun way :) I think I'll stick to diet and exercise.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Actually no the headache was most likely caused by the lack of soda.
    I quit and didn't have any but my mom tried multiple times to quit and each time she would get terrible headaches that would only stop when she would drink soda again. She thankfully pushed through and quit about 6 months ago.

[/quote]

Luckily, Nobel Prize winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman would say that your absolute refusal to acknowledge scientific evidence (or lack there of) for things that you have already assigned causation to is completely natural as well. Read his book "Thinking: Fast and Slow" if you ever feel like learning about the shortcomings in your cognitive reasoning.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I drink diet ice tea every day. That and coffee are all I drink. It hasn't hurt my weight loss, and my A1C is 4.7. If it's doing me any harm I can't see it.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about potential causal fallacies in these conclusions. Just because there is a correletion doesn't mean that one is caused by the other. Perhaps someone with already bad eating habits thinks swapping regular soda with diet soda will help with their waist line, but it isn't enough to cause a calorie deficit.
  • Chrissymmartin
    Chrissymmartin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The research I have done is that any "diet" or "sugar free" drink generally makes you hungrier when drank alone. The reason for this is when your taste buds taste sweet, they tell your pancreas to start making insulin because there is some sugar coming in. But since the artificial sweeteners are not sugar, your body has too much insulin in the body, and it causes your blood sugar to drop. When your blood sugar drops, your body gets hungrier to help bring it back up.

That to me, as a nursing student, makes sense. I'd say that if you're drinking it with lunch or some carbs, you're fine... If you're drinking it alone, you may get hungry shortly after. I generally stay away and stick with water, but every now and then I'll have a diet iced tea or diet root beer.