Food Addicts Anonymous??

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Congrats on keeping 10 of those 20 pounds off!
  • It's the middle of the night. Can't sleep. Ate one thing after another to take the edge off. Remembered this thread, so grabbed some gum and chewed it till the craving went away. One day at a time.That's all we could ask for right? To manage our food addiction one day at a time. I know I know I realized my craving had nothing to do with hunger. Everything to do with being bored anxious and curious what I could find in the kitchen. Like a treasure hunt or something. The gum really helped.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    My name is Anne and I'm a food addict. I have a whole bunch of issues with weight and food that are tied up in emotional abuse from my parents as a child and adolescent, and I didn't even realize most of it until I got to college. I'm in therapy to deal with my parent issues and I'm on MFP to teach myself how to actually take care of my body. I'm learning, very slowly, how NOT to go for the mac'n'cheese every time I have a tough paper to write. :smile:

Hang in there! I'm so sorry that you've been going through all of this. I guess the silver lining is that you're figuring it out while you're young...instead of 15 years from now, like me. Hopefully you'll figure out how to break the vicious cycle right away, instead of spending decades more repeating it. The people here on MFP are great and very supportive...so please know you are never alone in this!
  • Another bad night of eating nonstop last night. Not eating breakfast did not help and running away from problems of life did not help either. Well at least I was aware I was eating nonstop.

Hope everyone are doing better since this thread started.

Can't wait to watch The Biggest Loser on Tuesday night.
  • Mickie17
    Another bad night of eating nonstop last night. Not eating breakfast did not help and running away from problems of life did not help either. Well at least I was aware I was eating nonstop.

Hope everyone are doing better since this thread started.

Can't wait to watch The Biggest Loser on Tuesday night.

I actually had a great day yesterday. I didn't eat overly healthy, and I went out to dinner with friends, but overall, I didn't gorge myself. A FIRST in a long time. I'm with you, watching BL gets me remotivated. I wish the new Australian season was on UTube already....have you watched those? They are even better thanthe American version!!!! I used to watch those everyday, and that really kept me going...oc course until I ran out of episodes!!!! LOL!!!! I recommend starting at Aus Season 1, Episode 1 if you need a little BL pick-me-up!!!!
  • dms24
    dms24 Posts: 28 Member
    wow!! bad bad 2 weeks. I have been eating so bad!!! I feel totally fat and pathetic. I think the only reason I haven't gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks is because I force myself to exercise daily. But getting back on track right now. Going to eat a salad later and then exercise. No excuses. I put the food in my mouth, noone else did. Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks :noway:
  • Ok, so yes I am a food addict and I don't see anything on here about this topic. Anyone else want to join? :smile:

So here's my story: My name is Kim, I'm a mother of 2 and a full time Nursing student. I should know better about bad eating habits but when I'm stressed they come back stronger then ever. I had a really bad day yesterday so what did I do? I turned to food and ate 8 chocolate chip cookies!! Yes 8 of them!! I feel awful today, almost like I let myself down. But I am going to push through and get back on track. My goal for today is to stay within my fat, carbs and protein limits and to remind myself that food is fuel, not a comfort measure!!! Thanks for listening:) Have a good day!!

I have always had issues with food. I have always had a weight problem, but since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I have noticed a new trend. I am binge eating. I have never done that in my life. I just eat and eat and eat till I am sick and it is coming out of my ears. It makes me want to cry but I can't seem to stop. I ask myself "what is wrong with me?" I could always handle myself the way I was before, I was overweight, but now this new binge eater is really scarry to me. I have so much guilt for doing it but can't seem to stop when I am in the middle of it.:sad:
  • SkyraBee
    SkyraBee Posts: 39 Member
    Wow. I feel like many of you. Food is addictive, but I figure I need something in my life to trump food and that is exercise. I've always been a very competitive person and so I let exercise fuel my day, rather than food. Keeping a very busy workout schedule with keeping up with teaching high school kids and taking two graduate school courses is not easy, but the schedule has helped me to focus on the kind of food I need to make it through my workouts and days without being hungry, even if I don't count my calories everyday. So far so good.

Nice to know I'm not the only one though.
  • Hi, I'm Judy,
    I've always been a food addict. My weight goes up and down about 60 lbs. throughout my life. I get fed up and then I'm back to getting healthy again. I always have an excuse for eating in excess, same as drugs and alcohol. Yes, I'm all three. And I'm kicking them all at once as I do everytime. I actually gained weight being sober. Seems I always look for another pleasure, then do it in excess. I know I can do this. I also, get away from others that put me in a bad place even if it means being alone.
  • Hey guys!!!

Judy - congrats on trying to kick all of your addictive habits at once!!! Feel free to vent and talk to us as often as you want. Don't forget to get some professional help if you can. The church might be a great place to start. I've started going to exercise classes offered at my church and I'm having a great time doing the class. its zumba!!!

Trying to work on my water!!!

Have a great day peeps!!!!
  • dcherry88
    dcherry88 Posts: 15 Member
    My name is Danny, and I can say I'm a recovering foodaholic. I've been doing exercise and workout for well over a year, the first 50lbs kinda shut shed off but then i hit the wall. It hasn't been till recently that I've stepped back and looked at my eating habits. I eat under stress or mild depressing times. I'll do great ALL week long, shed some weight and feel wonderful. Then friday night will come around and I'll find myself with nothing to do, and unable to find any "friends" to hang out with. So I turn to food for comfort. I'm glad to say i feel like i am starting to shatter the wall, i'm finally dipping below my plateau and feeling so great about it. I feel horrible any day i haven't done any kind of work out so I think i've traded my food addiction over for a workout addiction. It's still tough some days but if i fall off, i pick myself back up and go at it two times as hard. A recent eye opener was reading "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels(biggest loser, course who here doesn't know that haha!) It really lets you see what effect alot of the stuff we eat has on us.

I'm here for anyone who needs to talk! We all need a shoulder once in a while
  • Hey folks!!! How has everyone's week been going??

Thanks to everyone who gives an encouraging word to everyone else on here. It makes a difference not just to the person you are talking to but to the group in general.

My yesterday was pretty good. I controled how much I ate and was able to walk away from the food when I listened to my brain telling my stomach that I was full.

Have a great day.
  • Mickie17
    Hey folks!!! How has everyone's week been going??

Thanks to everyone who gives an encouraging word to everyone else on here. It makes a difference not just to the person you are talking to but to the group in general.

My yesterday was pretty good. I controled how much I ate and was able to walk away from the food when I listened to my brain telling my stomach that I was full.

Have a great day.

I'm actually having a good week...I think the hypnotherapy is kicking in and I feel less ravenous and more positive. Plus, I updated my Exercise Playlist, and that has really got me pumped up during my workouts the past few days! :happy:
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Yes, I am a food addict. I am comfort eater. Food and I have had a rocky relationship. It always gets the best of me. I need to do something. The more I eat the worst I feel which then turns into eating more.

Thank you for listening
  • Sunsh1ne
    Today was a good day! I ran to the cafe on campus to grab something between classes and could have been in Carb Hell. I used to walk out of there with a caramel macchiato and a muffin the size of my head. Today I walked out with a green tea with honey and a banana. :smile:
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Hi. I'm also a food addict. For me it started around 7th grade and gradually got worse as I got older. I am famous for going on severe diets, losing tons of weight, then bingeing myself back to my original weight plus tons more. I am so embarrassed by my weight and how much I have to lose that sometimes I just feel like giving up, but I know deep down inside I WANT this more than anything. I want to be in control of what goes in my mouth!!! I am finally ready to conquer this. Not really sure how, but I am loving this website and getting the chance to meet and chat with others who feel exactly like me. I don't feel so alone.

And this was the first time I admitted that I am a food addict. Wow. I feel better. :blushing:

I overate like a madwoman tonight. Now, normally I would say, oh who cares I already blew it, but after reading all of your posts I am encouraged to STOP the damn cycle tonight. I am going to go drink some water and go straight to bed. Whew. Cross your fingers!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Hi, zorahope! I'm really happy that you're ready to take control, and we're all here for you on days when you feel like you can't. You can do it!
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Thanks, Sunshine! I had a much better day today. Whew. It's nice to know there are others like me out there in the world. Everyone have a great night!
  • Sunshine - great job on your snack choice!!!! I know its hard to make the healthy choice instead of the what you're used to getting.

Zorahope - we are hear for you!!! Now that you know and have admitted that you want better for yourself, I know that you can do it!!!

Yesterday was a little strange for me because I started off doing bad (i skipped breakfast which I never do because I was going to my nutritionist) then I great intentions when I went to lunch (I didn't over eat,but I skipped the veggies) then my power went out and all I had to eat for dinner was my rib because I couldn't finish heating up the rest of my food.

My breakfast this morning wasn't the best choice (honey bun and fruit) but I will do better for lunch.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Yuck. Today was a bad day for me. I spent four hours driving home from school because I'm going to a funeral tomorrow morning, and the drive was awful. When I got home and my parents offered to take me out for dinner, I jumped on it, thinking "I've had an awful day, I deserve it." And then proceeded to more than double my calories for the day in one fell swoop - fries, ice cream, the whole deal. I'm back on track tomorrow, but I'm frustrated, because what I really deserved was something good for me, not something that would make me feel good while I ate it and bad as soon as I finished.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!