To the losers who yelled "fat a**" when running

Options

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ive had people throw **** at me while running and biking. I carry small stones now so I can chuck something back at them.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    hey they are just jealous by the fact that even though you are overweight you are bettering yourself by trying to do a 5k and get back into shape. You should be the one calling them "fat a****s" because they are the waste of life who have nothing better to do or are really lazy. Those people will have karma smack them in the face!!
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Well said!!!!! I always say, "d*mn look at him/her...hmm...I should be out there too!"

Congrats on your success and good luck! Keep running!!!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Its not just fat people who get this stuff either. One time my SO was taking a walk with our then-2 1/2 yrs and 6 mos old sons to let me have a quiet nap at home, and some guys pulled alongside him just to go on about what a fa**ot he was. In front of our little kids.
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had to go through that. Keep doing what you're doing. Kudos.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I will honk at a cute girl on the street, or yell at other drivers [when the girlfriend drives], but I don't insult people from my window.
  • RaqNel71
    RaqNel71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What a moron! Loved your post. Keep up the good work!:smile:
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Aw crap....some peoples children I swear.

Been there myself. I was out jogging my a$s around the neighborhood one day and some young punk kids thought they'd get their kicks by laughing and yelling "hey fatty" to me. Yeah sure, it hurt, but I brushed it off and kept going. I've come to learn that people that behave in such a manner haven't matured, still have lots to learn about life, and some day karma will come back to bite them.

My younger self however didn't handle such things so well. There was a boy on my school bus when I was younger...every day he'd tease me about my weight and all the kids would laugh...I was fed up with it so finally one day when he least expected it...right after he'd just finished poking fun at me for like millionth time and everyone was having a good laugh at me.....i hoofed him right in the nuts. I'd never a) seen a boy drop to his knees so fast b) heard a boy cry like he did c) made my point more clear. You better believe he never called me fat again. :)

YOU are doing amazing....way to stay positive and not let anyone slow you down!
  • cheercoach80
    Options
    Congrats to you for getting out there, it's really hard to run with extra weight on your frame and you're doing something so amazing for others by running in races that benefit charity. Sadly that poor guy probably was trying to impress someone in the car and only succeeded in making himself look like a dumba**! Keep up the good work on your running! I'll be cheering you on! :smile:
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    "The point is, I know I am fat but I won't be for much longer"

And that's all there is.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that, but even at my highest weight most people insisted I didn't need to lose weight. I do get honked at and cat called a lot though, which is irritating in a completely different way. I've also gotten honked at because I was apparently crossing the street to slow for this guys taste. I wanted to look at him and be like "screw you, sir. I have a walk sign and I just ran eight miles."

But still. There are some days I hope someone tries to call me a fatass while I'm out running, that way I can invite them to join me on my nine mile runs. Or show them the 300 miles I've run since February on Nike+.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    People can be such jerks! Just remember, he's shouting insults from a car while you're out and moving your body, so you're NOT the one that needs to evaluate (or even remotely justify) what you're doing today.
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Your positivity gives just increased my faith in people :)

This may not be super relevant, but it reminds me of all the overweight/obese/just-need-to-lost-a-little people out there that are afraid of going to the gym because they "look out of place" or aren't confident enough...I think it's so brave when they do hit the gym! For me, it's more impressive to see somebody try something new, make a lifestyle change, and start improving their health/fitness than to see the same people hit the gym over and over (not that they're not great either!).

Anyways, my point is: Sometimes it's the bigger or less fit people at the gym (or running outside) that motivate me most. :) If somebody can change their entire lifestyle for health/fitness, then there's absolutely no excuse for me not to do my personal best, as well! Keep doing what you're doing! You're awesome!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that, but even at my highest weight most people insisted I didn't need to lose weight. I do get honked at and cat called a lot though, which is irritating in a completely different way. I've also gotten honked at because I was apparently crossing the street to slow for this guys taste. I wanted to look at him and be like "screw you, sir. I have a walk sign and I just ran eight miles."

But still. There are some days I hope someone tries to call me a fatass while I'm out running, that way I can invite them to join me on my nine mile runs. Or show them the 300 miles I've run since February on Nike+.

If a person is a jerk, he will find some way to allow their true nature to shine through, be it through a put-down or through a degrading cat call or term.

The recipients of such behavior are known as winners.
  • Vragis
    Vragis Posts: 19
    Options
    As I've lost weight, the only time I find myself being judgmental of other overweight people is when I see them doing things that don't help at all such as eating mass amounts of crap at a fast food restaurant, loading their cart at the grocery store with processed stuff, smoking, etc.

However, those are all silent thoughts that I keep to myself (and try to banish) because I, like everyone else who one day woke up and said "I'm tired of being fat", had to come to the realization of needing to make a change in my own time. I went about 3 decades on this Earth before I said "WTF am I doing?" Hopefully, the aforementioned people will make a change before it is too late but that is totally their business and not up to me to comment on.

As for other overweight people working out, I have mad respect for them because it can be highly intimidating to be the fat person at the gym surrounded by thin people. Just remind yourself of the reason why you see so few fat people working out...

Because, as the original poster said, if you keep with it, you won't be fat for long.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I had a teenager shout "run fat a**" at me when I was out running and all I can think was that even when trying to insult me he described what I was doing as running! not jogging, not wogging, not walking, not a weird duck waddle, but running! yay! :D
  • Sarahsarahsarahk
    Sarahsarahsarahk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    seriously what an IDIOT! you're doing an amazing job and for all the right reasons!! keep up the good work!!
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    **** those people, you are amazing.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Not my blog, but my thoughts ...
    http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Reminded me of a guy I saw at the Y the other day ... kept waiting for him to catch my eye so I could give him a smile and a nod ... one that never came.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Well said! People need to worry more about themselves - absolutely ridiculous they would yell that!